Roof ventilaror

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
roof-ventilator-superwhirly1.jpg

does anyone know where I can buy a roof fan/ventilator in Puerto Plata or Sosua?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I use a solar powered attic exhaust fan... mounted in a wall to draw the heat and humidity out.

Works well.........

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
send us a picture of building....side vents in steep roofs are usually enough vents are not used on flat roofs.. in the south they use a twirler kind of turbine to assist in heat/removal ...now they are switching to passive ones...but one big question here is Y???? or why???

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
buy some silver roof paint to reflect the sun or or any thing that looks like a mirror to lay down on roof be creative

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I'm a big fan ( no pun intended) of Ridge Vents.. as there is no motor or moving parts , and nothing protruding over the top of your Roof.
Unfortunately if Improperly installed and not securely nailed to the Top Chord , they come loose over time, which is what I'm dealing with right now on my workshop Roof, a work in progress .. one section had literally NO nails holding it down..
but that is like after 15 years of NE winters and Snow Load. The Amateur who installed it did not make sure he hit every Top Cord on the Trusses which are 24" spaced ,he simply nailed it into the Plywood like randomly.. .. not good. So I'm re doing it with Proper Ceramic Screws, right to the Beams.
Initial Installation DOES require a Leap of faith though, because you would be literally Cutting the top of your roof to make
the Gap needed and then installing the sections of the Vent.. but once Done, there is Zero maintenance, and the Hot air just vents naturally from the Highest point which is obviously the the Ridge.
The Fee air circulation is also very good for the wood, as it is not exposed to the extreme
high heat & rapid temp changes.
In your application you are probably better off with the Vent, but its just another Idea to think on.. and it does WORK very
well.
To be honest On my House I did not have the Guts to put in a Ridge Vent. when I re shingled , and I did the whole roof
myself, with some help, all 37 squares. but I did not know that much about it then, and just replaced the 2 vents with NEW
Vents as it just seemed like the thing to do. had I to do it again, I would definitely go with Ridge Vents, esp with the new Materials available.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
ramy these things are often called whirly birds..many countries import these from Australia and I have seen them on the rooves of horse stables in Australia , Hong Kong and in the middle east . They are a fantastic invention for drawing out the hot air that is found in the top of a room or a hallway . They are also used a lot between the ceiling and the roof when there is a significent space. The natural ventilation of most homes in the DR is extremely poor. Ideally there should be a good space between the ceiling and the roof and the top of the ceiling should be in insulated with batts consisting of recycled glass or wool . Then the whirly birds should be correctly placed on the roof . The result is that the houses is up to 30 % cooler ,although some manufacturers claim a nigher figure .
I have also been looking around for the whirlybirds without luck .

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
Hello people,
Somebody give me an address in Puerto Plata where I can buy it.
The brand name is, Lomanco, price 4’900 pesos.
This ventilator is for a slanted roof, right what I need.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Hello people,
Somebody give me an address in Puerto Plata where I can buy it.
The brand name is, Lomanco, price 4’900 pesos.
This ventilator is for a slanted roof, right what I need.

wow,
So sorry we bothered you with suggestions and Information... what a burden..

here is an idea if you dont want comments & helpful suggestions, other than answering your specific question, punch GOOGLE into your Computer. or learn spanish..

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
yes ramy Lomanco WHIRLYBIRD vent ,,,,thanks for the thanks..like jd426 ,Do not know why I replied

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
Just wanted to leave a message, I now know where I can buy it.
I deeply appreciate that you have helped me, thanks me for this.
Sorry if my English is not so good, but I'm almost 45 years ago learned something, then never have needed.
It is now not once my mother language, but try to do my best.
Just as the other six languages that I speak with.
I think in one language, and write in the other, which is not always easy.

May 5, 2007
yes ramy Lomanco WHIRLYBIRD vent ,,,,thanks for the thanks..like jd426 ,Do not know why I replied

The poor guy simply asked WHERE could he buy one True to fashion everyone told him what they are called, why they like them, why they don't like them..one
sad sack tried to explain how to build a workshop to his standards and then the OP is attacked for not groveling?

Sometimes people ask a question actually looking for an answer I wish I could help but not currently in DR

May 5, 2007
Just wanted to leave a message, I now know where I can buy it.
I deeply appreciate that you have helped me, thanks me for this.
Sorry if my English is not so good, but I'm almost 45 years ago learned something, then never have needed.
It is now not once my mother language, but try to do my best.
Just as the other six languages that I speak with.
I think in one language, and write in the other, which is not always easy.

Your English comprehension and writing far exceeds many :You simply asked where to buy an item, would think an English
speaker with about 4th grade reading comprehension should understand

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Works best as an ATTIC ventilator. The wind turns the turbine which turns a extraction fan inside the tube above the roof line. You need vents lower in the building to allow the air to move upward as intended. They are used extensively in North America, where attics are common, to decrease heat load in the summer months.

Very common in USA from many years ago, then the popularity diminished but it is making a comeback. They work well.
[video=youtube;9nCQuumDcIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nCQuumDcIA[/video]

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think you fail to understand that once he knew the name of the vent was Whirlybird he could then locate it easily enough ..he has now said thank you which both jd426 and I appreciated .

May 5, 2007
I think you fail to understand that once he knew the name of the vent was Whirlybird he could then locate it easily enough ..he has now said thank you which both jd426 and I appreciated .

Why would you think I fail to understand? I remarked on an event and several posts Agree you cleared it up and I'm sure he is thankful
but it doesn't change what happened and it doesn't affect my comprehension It would have been nice if someone could have provided what he requested (I don't recall him
ever asking the actual name but WHERE CAN I BUY IT)
and also agree this back and forth is stupid and probably embarrasses the poor guy so good job Kipling, we all thank you for keeping up the standards of DR1

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Very common in USA from many years ago, then the popularity diminished but it is making a comeback. They work well.
[video=youtube;9nCQuumDcIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nCQuumDcIA[/video]

I put these into every house I build or buy. It's a concept that goes way back, to Thomas Jefferson and before. Maybe even the Romans. When combined with a low and cool air entry point, you don't need AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.