Moving to the DR. Are you sure ?

Ex-DR LOVER

Jan 19, 2002
Dominican Republic is a vacation paradise for vacationers only. Too many people visit Dominican Republic and then think their life will be one big vacation if they move down here. Well, I've got news for you. Dominican Republic is an OK place to vacation but a poor selection for living. When you vacation in Dominican Republic most of the Dominican's are very friendly but that's mostly because they want your money.

The following info is what I gathered over 2+1/2 years of living in Dominican Republic.

First, the Dominican Republic's single scene. Single men, doubly beware! I've heard too many stories of women marrying gringos just for a relocation to another richer country or for alimony payments once they divorce. It is the same with these women (maintly from Canada I do not know why) who marry Dominican man. Yes, Dominicans think of gringos as walking wallets. They really think we are all rich. I personally had a female friend who I'd known for 7 months and she took me for all she could the first chance she got. She cleaned out my checking account by forging my name and walked with RD$ 30,000. (1.5 years later she is still free after marrying a gringo and moving to the states. No justice exists in Dominican Republic.) Luckily I had more money elsewhere. But my landlord here (from Canada) says that happens all the time. They get your confidence over many months and then steal everything they can the first chance they get.

Seconf, Dominican's attitudes toward gringos. Since there's so much sex tourism in Dominican Republic most latinos automatically think you've come there just for cheap sex. So none of the middle or upper class latinos want much to do with you. Even though you can convince them you're not a sex tourist, they still don't want to associate with you for fear of what their friends might think. And the poor latinos will associate with you just to take advantage of you financially. Generally I found living there very lonely.

Third, Dominican Republic's quality control(?). Dominican peoples second biggest negative attribute is that they lie like crazy. They have no stomach for conflict and so will always tell you whatever you want to hear just to keep you happy in the moment. The Dominican people are very in-the-moment and don't (or can't) think about future situations that their present actions cause. They are also dull-witted and incompetent. Heaven help you if you try to run a business down here and want Dominican people as employees. You can tell them exactly what to do for 5 times in a row and right in front of you they'll still do it their way. There exists no stubbornness like what latinos possess.

Fourth, Dominican Republic's import situation. Import taxes here are 100%. Yes I said 100%, which means that all imported goods cost twice as much in Dominican Republic as in the USA. A VCR that costs $120 in the States will cost $240 here. And anything you have shipped to you has to be taxed which is almost never less than $100.

Fifth, Dominican's polluted food. The evil pesticide companies in the USA sell outlawed pesticides at a low price to the farmers here. They are outlawed in the USA because they are highly toxic to humans also and cause cancer. But the farmers here buy it because it's cheaper. They don't care if you get DDT poisoning. I've eaten vegetables here that caused an immediate reaction in my throat because they had so much pesticides on them. It seems the farmers spray too heavily or too frequently. Dominicans are typically very immature in their thinking and do things you'd only think children would be capable of. A friend of mine knows two people who returned from Dominican Republic after just a few months with pesticide poisoning from eating the food here.

Sixth, Santo Domingo's Zona Colonial. And then there is Santo Domingo, the most polluted city I have ever seen. Old buses and cars with all pollution controls taken off are continuously spewing out tons of dark exhaust fumes. I try to never go there but there are many essentials which are only available in Santo Domingo. If you like to wait a lot then you'll enjoy driving in Santo Domingo. Traffic jams galore and believe it or not there is no main highway loop around the city. You have to go right through the middle of it! And the roads have lots of potholes due to the government stealing most of the money designated for road repair. And parking, yeah right. This is a small town turned big (~1.5 million people) and there is little parking space to be had. And if you park somewhere that isn't guarded then you may return from shopping to find the car gone.Dominican Republic's thievery and lack of security. There's so much theft here it isn't funny. Women who go to Santo Domingo go without jewelry or they hide it in their purse. I know of a woman who had her earrings ripped right out of her ear lobes! Ouch! One time a friend of mine left her sweater on the back of a chair in front of Burger King on El Conde for 5 minutes. When she returned it was gone and no one knew anything about it. And you will never see so many security bars around houses and guards outside stores and banks with loaded shotguns in any other country

SUMMARY: if you like pollution, traffic, bad roads, thievery, high import taxes, high prices, incompetence, lack of security, parasites, and few friends if any, then Dominican Republic is the place for you! One time when I rode my motorcycle to the beach I was stopped by a police officer who required payment of about RD$ 100 to prevent him from writing a big ticket (for a fictitious charge according to my lawyer later) and impounding my motorcycle. You know things are bad when even the police rob from you. Further, Dominican Republic ranks high when it comes to overall corruption according to independent entrepreneurs (1).

(1) Corruption is perceived to be among the three most important obstacles to conducting business in all developing countries that were surveyed, according to a 1997 World Bank study. Exceptions to these findings are Asia (India, Fiji, Malaysia) and one transition region (Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine). The World Bank grouped the countries into regions and sub-regions.

The survey asked 4000 entrepreneurs in 69 countries to rate 15 obstacles by how seriously they obstruct business. The list included taxes, corruption, inadequate supply of infrastructure, policy instability, labor regulations, crime and theft, price controls, foreign currency regulations, financing, foreign trade regulations, regulations for starting a new business, general uncertainty on costs of regulations, terrorism, safety or environmental regulations, and inflation.

Tax regulations and/or high taxes were among the four top obstacles in 20 out of 22 regions. They were the number one obstacle in 13 regions. This obstacle encompasses not only high taxes, but also tedious tax regulations, unclear tax laws and corrupt tax officials.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Countries Rank of Corruption
South Africa, Mauritius 1
Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Dominican Republic 1
Benin, Mali, Nigeria 1
Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru 1
Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal 1
Cameroon, Chad, Congo 1
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia 2
Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Uzbekistan 2
Jordan, Morocco, West Bank and Gaza Strip 2
Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia 2
Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovak Republic 3
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania 3
Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe 3
Albania, Bulgaria, FYR Macedonia, Turkey 3
C?te d'Ivoire, Ghana, Togo 3
Costa Rica, Jamaica, Mexico 4
Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine 6
Fiji, India, Malaysia 6
Italy, Portugal, Spain 6
Austria, France, Germany, Switzerland 9
Canada, United States 12
Ireland, United Kingdom 13

Source: "How Businesses See Government," IFC, Discussion paper 33, 1998.

WHO STILL WANT TO MOVE TO THE DR ?

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You were stupid enough to leave your checkbook where she could get to it. Oh well, that only works out to about a buck eighty six a night...not bad.

Dominican upperm class is like most upper classes they associate with those in their own class...obviously any one spending only a buck eighty six is not in their class. Also most single young american tourists are looking for cheap sex, I wasn't even a tourist but I always was looking, of course being a friendly american I never had to spend money.

Dominicans lie??? Never... Say what you want to hear??? Obviously you have never worked in mangement in the US. I have people tell me every day what they think I want to hear. Stubborn...I recently fired someone because she could not remember from one day to the next how to do her job. This in Colorado.

Can't argue about tariffs. Things are higher, but in the DR many of these are luxuries.

Most of the campesinos can't afford pesticides. You want to blame the farmers there for corrupt US companies selling bad pesticides. Thats calling the pot black...

Apparently you have never been to San Juan, Port-a-Prince, and ghettoes in Memphis, Detroit, and many other American cities. Talk about filth...

I hate to say this but it sounds like you're mad about the screwing you got for the screwing you did...

The DR is not the perfect place, but I've lived in 28 cities, eight states and three countries and haven't found Valhalla yet but I would take the DR over most of the ones I have been to.

Sorry you had such a bad experience, just remember that when you are pointing a finger at someone, you have three point back at you.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
WHY STAY?

No place is a perfect paradise. Since you are so disenchanted and cynical why don't you go back home? I too, lived in the DR and was well aware of many of its shortfalls, however if my circumstances were different I would return to live there in a New York Minute. You think just maybe, its time for you to try a more positive attitude?

Claudia

Jan 8, 2002
The Dominican Republic is a third world country. Did you think you were going to live in a paradise? Well, wake up and smell the coffee.
Dominicans are not bad people. That you got involved with the wrong croud, that's different. Did you think that upper class dominicans were going to treat you differently just because you are from another country? Yes, it is true that some lower class dominicans will try to take advantage of you, but is up to you to be smarter than them.
I don't think that prices are so much higher like you said. They may be a bit higher, but not so much.
I just think that you should stay were you are, Canada, I think? and don't live your cocoon, unless you go to an all inclusive resort ( I think that would be the safest for you).
Every country is different. The Dominican Republic is not a paradise. Actually it is far from it, but it is not as bad as you put it. I think that what you really want is an island like those in the movies. Well, let me give you a hint, they don't exist.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Hey,Insufferable Prick,Yes You!

I am glad she "Got" you,you deserve it! Hope you are now far,far away.You will be miserable where ever you go cause you are a miserable person!You will go through life "blaming" everyone but the "one person" resposible for your troubles,YOU! So get the Hell out and stop "fishing" for sympathy,you ain,t gonna find it here! Criss Colon

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey Criss,
I see you haven't lost your empathic ways since you are trying to bury the hatchet with AZB. Why not try telling this guy the truth & be a little hard on him?

Obviously this guy hasn't tried workig or living in Englad recently - friends who visit from there tell me how much worse it is now from when I lived there 10 years ago - & I got duped by friends & business colleagues even then.!!

Yes, the Dominicans can be frustrating at times, Yes, their retentive power of instructions/suggestions etc can be very short, but then WE are joining THEIR culture & need to addapt OURSELVES 9not other way around!). Despite the frustrations this is STILL a far better place to live than most other countries because of the TRUE warmth of it's people once you get passed trying to be better than them!!! It's not 'THEM' anyway, it is 'All of US'.

Peace on you Ex-DRlover!!!! - Grahame.

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
Kudos for sharing your experiences

Although I don't agree with everything you wrote, you at least took the time to share your experiences.

As always Criss Colon's comments "You will be miserable where ever you go cause you are a miserable person!You will go through life "blaming" everyone but the "one person" resposible for your troubles,YOU!" -
Criss Colon's comments are nothing short of CRAP!!!. I didn't read your comments as blaming "Everyone" but rather just relating the circumstances you encountered here.

El Jefe, just because there are places worse than the DR doesn't mean that DR is that great. When we constantly compare ourselves to places that are worse we become worse. When we compare ourselves to places that are better, we will become better.

Richard and Claudia comments, "Did you think you were going to live in a paradise?" Ask the people around Sosua and they keep saying "How do you like life in Paradise". They use that word in every second sentence. The propaganda put out by the Sosua Club borders on lying. And would someone please unsubscribe me, I hate getting your damn newsletter!!!!.

If I were to judge the DR by Sosua I would probably feel the same way as you. I lived outside the North Coast and found other parts of the DR to have potential. This was my scouting mission and I will be back in the Fall, only next time I won't waste my time hanging around the North Coast.

and Criss, I leave for South Asia on Wednesday and you may come kiss the passport of the Mighty MaxxJaxx as you are not worthy enough to "Kiss my *ss".

Off to visit country number 24, 25, 26, 27..........

Maxx

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Go to Somalia! and Stay! "MADDMAXX"

I "owned" South East Asia in the 70,s! "Been There "Done" them"!You have a low self image,therefore your need not to comment on a post,but to,comment on the responses to the post! We have our opinions,just express yours! Let the "Original Poster" glean what he wants from all the responses.Of all the responses to this "Idiots" crybaby post,only you are supportive! See a trend here? Your;"I have been to more countries than you have!" boasts are "Infantile"! It is not a contest.For example;it is not important how many books you have read,but what you learned from "The" books you have read. How much "enjoyment" did you get from "The" books you have read? People who get in a "Pissing Contest" with me usually end up "All Wet!" You can,t "Beat" me,I,m a "Legend in my Own Mind"!!!Criss Colon

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
Hey Diaper Boy

Criss Colon said:
I "You have a low self image,therefore your need not to comment on a post,but to,comment on the responses to the post!

IT IS CALLED BEING INTERACTIVE WITH WHAT IS BEING SAID BY ALL.
--------

We have our opinions,just express yours! Let the "Original Poster" glean what he wants from all the responses.

LIKE THIS IS WHAT YOU DO???
---------

Of all the responses to this "Idiots" crybaby post,only you are supportive! See a trend here?

YEAH, IT SAYS THAT I AM FREE-THINKER WHO IS NOT AFFAID TO EXPRESS AN OPPOSING VIEW.
---------

Your;"I have been to more countries than you have!" boasts are "Infantile"! It is not a contest.

I THOUGHT YOU SAID IT WAS A "DOG EAT DOG WORLD". SOUNDS LIKE A CONTEST TO ME???.
---------

For example;it is not important how many books you have read,but what you learned from "The" books you have read. How much "enjoyment" did you get from "The" books you have read?

I DOUBT YOU CAN READ LET ALONE HAVE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM WHAT YOU HAVE READ.
--------

People who get in a "Pissing Contest" with me usually end up "All Wet!" You can,t "Beat" me, I,m a "Legend in my Own Mind"!!!Criss Colon

-----------

Every time I read one of your posts I have this image from one of the only episodes of the Jerry Springer show I ever watched.

They had this guy on it called "Diaper Boy". A grown man who liked wearing diapers. As I recall, his name was Chris. This imaged scarred me for life...... never watched the show again.

MaXX

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
MAXIPAD,AKA "Diaper Boy Wannabe"

You are starting to get "PISSED ON"! For your information,Jerry Springer was Mayor Of Cincinnati Ohio! Don,t worry ,you can still watch; "Jerry,Jerry,Jerry" one does not necessarily become what you watch on the show! I never said;"It,s a dog eat dog world." Stop those "pointed" insults,I can,t take it! I really can read! Really! Please Stop it! I love it when my "Victims" start to "cover their own ass,s in their posts ,in fear that I will attack them later for what they have said! Don,t worry,you can watch Jerry Springer,I could care less. Your "secret" is safe with us! Please tell me that you will continue to post on DR1 when you arrive in the "Far East" I want you to tell me all about that area! (Where I lived for 4 years!) "Sawadi" Khun Crop" Khun Chew Aray? Put that in your Thai "Bong" and smoke it! Criss Colon

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Got to back Criss on this one

if you are that dumb to go to a foreign land and expect that everyone out there is just to look after you while you have a stupid smile on your face....you deserve to get taken for a ride and in this case it was a not so expensive one.

did you get recomendations about this chick before you let her have you in a big way? now this does not mean all dominican chicks are like this.

now let me guess where you picked her up.

you were walking on some beach or a bar at night. she came to you saying...heloo mai friend! you speekin espanis? and you felt for it...she was the first one across and you thought you had it made. then don?t tell me that she didn?t get you to buy groceries for her mamma because she got let go from the zona franca or some place like that. then you lent her money you never saw...and she asked for some more for una ?cosa?she had to take care of. wern?t these warning signs that something was amiss.

in other words...dominican republic is for people like AZB, Criss and Missing_DR. These are the guys who have been there and done that and now are all trained for any situation which may be thrust upon them in that country.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
my first message

oh and by the way. the above message posted by me was for
EX DRLOVER.

(got to keep criss off my back for a week atleast)

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
but...

You can't think that being "taken" like this is something unique to the DR...? There are people like that everywhere. I know women or men here in Canada who dated someone who they always had to pay for; who just needed a place to stay for a while until they got back on their feet; just needed $20, $50, $100 until next week when my paycheck/welfare check comes in / just until unemployment check start coming in; just , just just etc etc.

Hasn't everybody dated at least one looser in their lifetime, no matter where they live? Isn't that how most of us learn to spot one next time around? (hopefully this happens when you're young and don't have much to get "taken" for).

I can't imagine how you think this only happens in the DR.
A sucker can get taken no matter what country you're in, there may be different scams run with a different style, but the story sounds pretty much the same.
(and what do you think the police in Canada would say if you called them and said, "I gave my girlfiend money and she didn't pay me back like she said she would" ? They'd laugh right in your face, is what).

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Re: Kudos for sharing your experiences

MaxxJaxx said:
Although I don't agree with everything you wrote, you at least took the time to share your experiences.

As always Criss Colon's comments "You will be miserable where ever you go cause you are a miserable person!You will go through life "blaming" everyone but the "one person" resposible for your troubles,YOU!" -
Criss Colon's comments are nothing short of CRAP!!!. I didn't read your comments as blaming "Everyone" but rather just relating the circumstances you encountered here.

El Jefe, just because there are places worse than the DR doesn't mean that DR is that great. When we constantly compare ourselves to places that are worse we become worse. When we compare ourselves to places that are better, we will become better.

Richard and Claudia comments, "Did you think you were going to live in a paradise?" Ask the people around Sosua and they keep saying "How do you like life in Paradise". They use that word in every second sentence. The propaganda put out by the Sosua Club borders on lying. And would someone please unsubscribe me, I hate getting your damn newsletter!!!!.

If I were to judge the DR by Sosua I would probably feel the same way as you. I lived outside the North Coast and found other parts of the DR to have potential. This was my scouting mission and I will be back in the Fall, only next time I won't waste my time hanging around the North Coast.

and Criss, I leave for South Asia on Wednesday and you may come kiss the passport of the Mighty MaxxJaxx as you are not worthy enough to "Kiss my *ss".

Off to visit country number 24, 25, 26, 27..........

Maxx

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Let me know the name you joined under Maxx and it will give me great pleasure to take you off the membership list real fast. Buenos suertes on your search for whatever you are looking.

Richard

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
richard said:
Let me know the name you joined under Maxx and it will give me great pleasure to take you off the membership list real fast. Buenos suertes on your search for whatever you are looking.

Richard

I believe that would be MaxxJaxx2001.