Ranco Tipico Sosua

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Just heard they did the usual 'underaged minor on the premises' trick yesterday and closed it down.

If true then it's yet another gringo run place closed.

Does anyone have more info.?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I just heard about it myself today, but didn't know the reason. It was never a favorite of mine, but it seemed they did a good business, and the few times I have been there, I found the food acceptable.

It does seem funny that all these gringo-run places are being closed before the season begins.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
That's my biggest fear of running a business here. Even if the formula works, some outside force can ruin it. Too many variables.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's my biggest fear of running a business here. Even if the formula works, some outside force can ruin it. Too many variables.

actually, your business is only safe if you are doing something a Dominican cannot do. you can rent from a guy who has had a building locked up for 10 years, and if you start a successful business, suddenly he wants you out, because he needs the building. he needs it to open what you have been doing.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
actually, your business is only safe if you are doing something a Dominican cannot do. you can rent from a guy who has had a building locked up for 10 years, and if you start a successful business, suddenly he wants you out, because he needs the building. he needs it to open what you have been doing.

Exactly my point!!! Not what you said, but instead of focusing on my business, I'll be writing with the gorgon!!!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
The owner of Rancho was having problems because he was disturbing his neighbors with the very loud music. There are some wealthy Dominicans who love on that side street. I know there have been problems in the past.
We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later.
Having a business where you sell alcohol is very dicey.
He should be open in a couple of days.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am surprised he lasted as long as did. Having underage girls around, if that be the case, doesn't help much either. The bar will probably reopen in a few weeks under "new" management.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Having underage girls around, if that be the case, doesn't help much either.
He may or may not have had underage girls there. It is a well-known scam by the authorities to close places for a bullet-proof reason. Or if so, they may have introduced them themselves.

I don't like the guy, but I do credit him with enough common sense to avoid that pitfall.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Was there a few weeks ago every night. Didn't see any underaged and they wanted the cedula from every girl entering.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
The owner of Rancho was having problems because he was disturbing his neighbors with the very loud music. There are some wealthy Dominicans who love on that side street. I know there have been problems in the past.
We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later.
Having a business where you sell alcohol is very dicey.
He should be open in a couple of days.

Nice Freudian slip!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Was there a few weeks ago every night. Didn't see any underaged and they wanted the cedula from every girl entering.
Yeagh he was pretty vigilant about that, no one can deny, in fact he checked ID's to the point of being obnoxious about it . so they definitely set him up good here ( which seems to be the MO for a place they want to shut down) .. but why?... guessing he p*ssed off the wrong people. sometimes words and actions come back to haunt you.. I highly doubt it had anything to do with the Noise either.

Jul 28, 2014
Its getting close to high season and with the ships going to be coming more frequently, its time for the Mayor to flex and show she's "cleaning up Sosua". These days, I wouldn't want to be the owner of any place that remotely comes close to being like a nightclub/disco.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
We were there last Friday eating the fine steak that Carlos (the Spanish chef who used to work in La Roca years ago) prepared. I haven't been there for months, but everything was as usual the early evening. No one remotely resembling underage at that time.

We were also wondering how he lasted that long being so far away from the center is not easy, but he has his niche market with Haitians etc.

One thing I mentioned to my friend was how he can employ Haitian girls, I never see them working anywhere else in the bars, I don't think they have work permit, or may be they do, but he rotates them every month, they might not get paid a wage and work only for tips, who knows.

I usually don't mind going there, at least they have some descend food and also okay music - not the terrible stuff you now get in some other bars. I hope they open again, no one wants to see Sosua shrinks as it is doing now !

On another unrelated gossip, the rumour mill is going around that Latino Bar in the center might open again as they are new Russian owners and they want Willy to have another go (from what I was told the previous owners wanted too much rent etc.). Don't hold me to it, but there was some cleaning activity the other day, let's see...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A friend of mine asked the owner of RT for a job and was told to return the next day at 5 pm. To her surprise she wasn't interviewed but put straight to work. She was never asked for her cedula. There was a huge turnover of girls there because few can stand the working conditions. As far as I know it is unheard of for anyone to last long enough to qualify for licuidacion. They have to work from 6 pm to 3 am without a break and if anyone offers them a drink they have to order something expensive. My friend hated this because she didn't like to work while drunk. This has been confirmed by my friend (who lasted three days) and another Haitian girl I know who stuck it out for two and a half months.

I wouldn't go there any more after that but now it seems the choice has been made for me.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
So how do they decide what is a bar or family place? Just down the road you will see Dominican families with youngsters eating and drinking together and serving alcohol.
It's the same on the beach so what exactly does the 'actual' law say about age and access to premises?

Tipico seemed like a restaurant/beer garden sort of place and I never saw anything out of order.

We know the underage scam by the authorities but it would be interesting to see how the law sees it.

Jul 28, 2014
Loud music late at night with alcohol and Gringo Males, with Latina/Haitian ladies, tell me that doesn't seem like a recipe/excuse to get closed by means of "underaged" or "sexual exploitation"?

It's a crap shoot as to which one they will pick when they feel like you shouldn't be in business anymore...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
loud

i think loud is by far the worst rich people old peoples want some quiet :cool:

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Loud music late at night with alcohol and Gringo Males, with Latina/Haitian ladies, tell me that doesn't seem like a recipe/excuse to get closed by means of "underaged" or "sexual exploitation"?

It's a crap shoot as to which one they will pick when they feel like you shouldn't be in business anymore...

There are not many left, aside from a few small bars and restaurants.
Anyone who is in Sosua has witnessed the decline of tourism over the last years.
To cover operating costs and make a meaningful profit from a three month "peak" season is hard.
I doubt that cruise passengers or family tourism will fill the gap.
As a cruise passenger, the DR and Sosua are not on my list.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, their recipe for making Sosua more popular with tourists by finding excuses to close anywhere that is being successful doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. And, as you say, cruise passengers are unlikely to fill the gap.

And now I read in the last few days that Danilo himself has urged that the crazy idea of closing all the small establishments at the back of the beach and replacing them with "malls" at either end should go ahead ASAP. Oh dear!