To them it's all 'New York'

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
I just recently learned that they call most of the U.S.A. 'New York' in the Dominican Republic. It is quicker to say Nueva York than
it is to say Los Estados Unidos

I called an ambulance for an elderly woman, and the ambulance crew needed to know if she was really awake. To test objectively, they asked her if she knew where she was.
Aqu?, she replied. On further enquiry she said she believed she was in the city of New York. In fact, she was in a Massachusetts city hundreds of kilometers from the State of New York.

I guess in the Dominican Republic, there is very little difference between the lie and the truth.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This should clear things up:

11753270_1204940889570999_2078590959568373584_n.jpg

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
It's simply part of their vernacular. Most on this site think the Netherlands and Holland can be used interchangeably. Not a big deal and certainly no indication of one's integrity.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Most Americans think that England is London.

And there is a massive confusion about the difference between England, Britain and the United Kingdom. And a lot of Americans talk about "going to Europe" as if there is a specific place you can get a plane to called "Europe". In case anyone is wondering, the United Kingdom is made up of four countries - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Great Britain is the first three of these, without Northern Ireland. And London is the capital of England.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I just recently learned that they call most of the U.S.A. 'New York' in the Dominican Republic. It is quicker to say Nueva York than
it is to say Los Estados Unidos

I called an ambulance for an elderly woman, and the ambulance crew needed to know if she was really awake. To test objectively, they asked her if she knew where she was.
Aqu?, she replied. On further enquiry she said she believed she was in the city of New York. In fact, she was in a Massachusetts city hundreds of kilometers from the State of New York.

I guess in the Dominican Republic, there is very little difference between the lie and the truth.

Indeed very little difference between a lie and the truth. Its like multiple shades of grey.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Its so common to refer to the whole United States as New York, just as many refer to the entirety of the Dominican Republic as Santo Domingo. There is no deceitfulness at play, it is just how they mentally relate to the United States as probably 90% of them come to New York. Some after many years in New York branch out to the rest of the country.

What I have heard most is Punta Cana.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's simply part of their vernacular. Most on this site think the Netherlands and Holland can be used interchangeably. Not a big deal and certainly no indication of one's integrity.

Albeit that Holland officially would refer to two provinces of The Netherlands, it's not wrong to call The Netherlands 'Holland'. Even the Dutch government uses the name Holland to refer to the whole country. The Dutch never refer to those living in one of the two Hollands as being from Holland, they're either from Noord-Holland or Zuid-Holland.

May 5, 2007
And there is a massive confusion about the difference between England, Britain and the United Kingdom. And a lot of Americans talk about "going to Europe" as if there is a specific place you can get a plane to called "Europe". In case anyone is wondering, the United Kingdom is made up of four countries - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Great Britain is the first three of these, without Northern Ireland. And London is the capital of England.

I have always said I was going to Europe If you were traveling from the DR , would you say you are going to US or Colorado (Should that be
your destination?)

Last edited:

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I hope this gets moved to off topic cuz I would like to discuss the intersection of personal and national identity both as expressed and as understood. It really does depend on context and audience. What is correct is really only what is generally accepted as correct. Hence the whole North America South America thing. Are there five or seven continents?

Asking abuela one data point related to orientation for the purposes of making a neurological diagnosis...I wonder if that was interpreted as a positive or negative response.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I hope this gets moved to off topic cuz I would like to discuss the intersection of personal and national identity both as expressed and as understood.

Why not just start a thread of your own in "Off Topic" on that subject?

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
It's no different than they think Canadians are from Toronto

Or Montreal, every time they see my huge Canadian Flag tattoo on my arm they ask, "Toronto" I say "no" then they say "ah Montreal" and I say no New Brunswick east coast and I get a blank stare......

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015

On that one, it is easier to prove. Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain at first sounds like something the Irish Republican Army might say, until you continue:
It is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, where the very structure of the official title of the state proves the point.

Great Britain is the largest of the British Isles much as Hawaii is the largest of the Hawaiian Islands. Midway is not part of the State of Hawaii
and the Irish Republic is not part of the United Kingdom.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If this is to stay open, it'd better get DR related from here on.

Or Montreal, every time they see my huge Canadian Flag tattoo on my arm they ask, "Toronto" I say "no" then they say "ah Montreal" and I say no New Brunswick east coast and I get a blank stare......

I learned something new on that one, but at least I didn't call the whole Soviet Union "Russia" back in the day.

On that one, it is easier to prove. Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain at first sounds like something the Irish Republican Army might say, until you continue:
It is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, where the very structure of the official title of the state proves the point.

Great Britain is the largest of the British Isles much as Hawaii is the largest of the Hawaiian Islands. Midway is not part of the State of Hawaii
and the Irish Republic is not part of the United Kingdom.

We're done here. Not DR related.

Status
Not open for further replies.