Orange + iPad

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I'm looking to get an iPad, and would like to get Orange data service. Orange is available where I work in Africa. I realize I'd have to have two different SIMS, one for the DR and one for Africa.

Which iPad is compatible with Orange Service(DR), if any? The one I am looking at now is the iPad Mini 4 with WiFi and Cellular.

Interestingly enough, I can 22GB of 3G data in Cameroon for US$40 a month. In the DR it's 2GB of data for US$18 a month. Orange Republica Dominicana is 5 1/2 times more expensive that Orange Cameroon!

Aug 21, 2007
I use an iPad with a sim that I swap out depending on which country I am in. And I use Orange service here in the DR. You should be fine with the iPad Mini 4 with WiFi and Cellular.

Lindsey

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
All Apple iPad are compatible with Orange 3G and LTE Network.
Have in mind that LTE is only available on iPAD 3 and Up.

Feb 7, 2007
And people in USA can have unlimited talk unlimited messages unlimited data for 50 dollars a month. And people in Europe can have 100 megs fiber optic connections for 20 euros. You cannot make comparisons like that. Different market dynamics and different competitive environment. I still remember when I was paying 40 cents a minute on my USA prepaid cellphone . Now you get the same rates and bundles as postpaid, you just prepay it.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
I'm looking to get an iPad, and would like to get Orange data service. Orange is available where I work in Africa. I realize I'd have to have two different SIMS, one for the DR and one for Africa.

Which iPad is compatible with Orange Service(DR), if any? The one I am looking at now is the iPad Mini 4 with WiFi and Cellular.

Interestingly enough, I can 22GB of 3G data in Cameroon for US$40 a month. In the DR it's 2GB of data for US$18 a month. Orange Republica Dominicana is 5 1/2 times more expensive that Orange Cameroon!

You need to check again sir

internet.jpg

Feb 7, 2007
I think these are plans for "Orangenet Router" (not sim-phone/tablet) and 4G LTE at that.
(there is no way to have 10 megs "speed-based" plan on 3G+).

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Orange has a pretty decent prepaid daily package: 60 pesos for 0.5G for 24 hours.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Wow.. I've got the Claro 10mbps with TV and Telephone, and my bill is only 2500 a month.

and your phoneplan, if you took the most basic one as i have, still includes 500 monthly minutes free for international calls to almost every country.
as for cellphones/SIM,
i use the 2nd smallest Claro Plan, named Claro Data 2,
4LTE internet, my download always ranges between 15-20mbps on a Samsung S5 Mini, 300 phone minutes which also can be used to call USA, Canada or Puerto Rico. 3GB monthly data, which is much more than i could use, even that i use the phone all day long. but there are Wifi spots everywhere, so most time it runs on Wifi anyways.
that plan costs just $50.- per month(the 30% taxes already In).

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think these are plans for "Orangenet Router" (not sim-phone/tablet) and 4G LTE at that.
(there is no way to have 10 megs "speed-based" plan on 3G+).

agreed, Rubio.
i know the ?G speeds only ranging around 3-?3.5Mbps from my former Claro connection.
since i use the 4GLTE connection cyberworld reached a nice different level on the road.
on the beach i can connect the whole family (using the samsung as a router) and still everybody catches a great speed.
to use 3G or 4G anyways costs the same, the Claro Plans i know do not differ on that.
it just depends what Tablet/Smartphone you use, if it is 4GLTE ready or not.
wheni purchased my actual Samsung S5Mini i just went to the Claro Store and said i want the SIM for the 4GLTE Speed, of course with my same phonenumber and exactly the same phone/date plan as i always had.
5 minutes later i went out the door with $g readily working, cost zero, they change your SIM for free into the 4GLTE SIM.

Mike

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
and your phoneplan, if you took the most basic one as i have, still includes 500 monthly minutes free for international calls to almost every country.
as for cellphones/SIM,
i use the 2nd smallest Claro Plan, named Claro Data 2,
4LTE internet, my download always ranges between 15-20mbps on a Samsung S5 Mini, 300 phone minutes which also can be used to call USA, Canada or Puerto Rico. 3GB monthly data, which is much more than i could use, even that i use the phone all day long. but there are Wifi spots everywhere, so most time it runs on Wifi anyways.
that plan costs just $50.- per month(the 30% taxes already In).

Mike

Very helpful. Thank you.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
when i first got the home connection, i did not pay attention to any details of the phone-plan.
i just took the most basic one available, as i was obliged to take one to get the home internet connection installed in the first place.
after a while(i really had the connection since a long time then, lol) i realized that writing on the monthly bill,
which states to date that the phone plan includes monthly 520 minutes, of which 20 can be used for calls to Claro Cellphones and the other 500 minutes can be used for intl calls to almost 200(if i remember the number correctly now, but close to that anyways) countries.
since then i use the homephone for my calls to German Family and also to call back customers in the US and Canada, but specially for calls to family and customers in Europe, as the calls to europe are quiet expensive on the cellphone, specially as i have hours of such calls summed up every month, private and business together. its free since then.
my cellphone bill went nicely downwards since then, doing the same amount of calls since always, just by thinking a bit about which phone to use for the calls.

Mike