Recommending Bagels & More

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
One of the pleasures of Santo Domingo is discovering and rediscovering new places to eat.

Over the weekend, dropped by Bagels & More, an old favourite when it was at Fantino Falco. It has now reopened at Av. Roberto Pastoriza, No 204, Naco, a short distance from Tiradentes.

This is the place to go when you are in the mood for New York-deli food. They are good. Be sure to try the cheesecake. You can buy the ingredients to prepare your own sandwiches, and they have take out.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

sambomambo

Banned
May 8, 2011
Gracias Dolores, glad you enjoyed our homemade cheesecakes as much as I enjoyed seeing y'all again!

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Just heard about this last week.. with a great review also. I am definitely putting it on my list for next time I go to the city!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
One of the pleasures of Santo Domingo is discovering and rediscovering new places to eat.

Over the weekend, dropped by Bagels & More, an old favourite when it was at Fantino Falco. It has now reopened at Av. Roberto Pastoriza, No 204, Naco, a short distance from Tiradentes.

This is the place to go when you are in the mood for New York-deli food. They are good. Be sure to try the cheesecake. You can buy the ingredients to prepare your own sandwiches, and they have take out.

Enjoy!

Wow, bagels in the DR!!!!!!!! Next thing you need is to buy some smoked salmon and combine with cream cheeze to make a Nova spread. Wonderful.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Wow, bagels in the DR!!!!!!!! Next thing you need is to buy some smoked salmon and combine with cream cheeze to make a Nova spread. Wonderful.

If this is the same place I am thinking of you can get Nova, cream cheese, or lox on your bagel. There was a guy with strange colored hair from Puerto Rico that owned it. Is he still there?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The only good bagels in the DR are the ones I bring back in my suitcase from H & H on Second Avenue. And their arrival is a closely guarded secret.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The only good bagels in the DR are the ones I bring back in my suitcase from H & H on Second Avenue. And their arrival is a closely guarded secret.

I'm tempted to buy a bunch of good bagels and bring them down frozen. All I've ever found are frozen Lender's. If I do, I'll bring down lox too - I never thought about freezing it, but my brother buys large packages of it and freezes it into portions [his wife hates it, so it's just him eating it]. He swears it's just the same when thawed. Anyone ever see lox for sale in DR???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
is lox a smoked salmon fillet? saw them in la sirena, frozen section.

Thanks, I apparently miss out on a lot by not checking the frozen sections at La Sirena and Nacional. In the US, I never buy anything frozen except ice cream, so I habitually bypass those whole aisles. I need to reprogram myself in DR.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Yes...several types of frozen smoked salmon available in most supermarkets...along with real Philadelphia cream cheese in the dairy section. Also available in all the larger supermarkets are non-frozen bagels from Toufayan, usually in the packaged bread section...nowhere in a league with H&H or any other "real" bagel, but waaaaay better than Lender's!!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Best Lox (smoked salmon) so far, was purchased at PriceSmart Santiago, but it is very expensive.......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
personally i am not a hard core fan of bagels. they are tasty but also very heavy and dense. usually i can eat maybe half. too filling.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes...several types of frozen smoked salmon available in most supermarkets...along with real Philadelphia cream cheese in the dairy section. Also available in all the larger supermarkets are non-frozen bagels from Toufayan, usually in the packaged bread section...nowhere in a league with H&H or any other "real" bagel, but waaaaay better than Lender's!!

a while back i could buy Philly cream cheese flavored with smoked salmon. i have not seen it recently, and i don?t want that other crap, such as chives. if anyone runs into it, please let me know. it is awesome on soda crackers.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
personally i am not a hard core fan of bagels. they are tasty but also very heavy and dense. usually i can eat maybe half. too filling.

You're only supposed to eat half! And the cream cheese layer (if you use it) should be as thin as butter. That's the mistake non-native bagel eaters make with that big hunk o' cream cheese. Not for nothing is the right proportion called a schmear.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

With all due respect D, if you've never had a fresh 'real' New York bagel, it's a whole different ballgame. Bagels from anywhere else just aren't the same, even in NJ. They say it's the NY water, I don't know.

Now I want a bagel, but we have a raging nor'easter going on here, so I'm planted indoors today.