Mariposa Season

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I've been enraptured these past few weeks with the clouds of tiny yellow butterflies darting around. What are they called? Is there an actual butterfly season? They're not migrating monarchs, and they're so little and so fast that I haven't been able to capture them in a fot.

Calling all naturalists!

Norberto61

Jun 21, 2015
You might get a somewhat different answer than you anticipate if you are asking about mariposas - similar to duck season I believe

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
MMMMMMMM, those are swallowtails. That's the extent of my knowledge on them other than that they are indigenous to this island.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i try to maximize this time of the year...it is said to influence womans romantic nature and she is more receptive to a mans advances so fly like a butterfly and bite softly...

May 29, 2006
I've thought for years that a butterfly house would be a great tourist destination in the DR. I went to one in Massachusetts and it had around a 100 species, mostly tropical. Basically a giant tropical green house with 10s of 1000s of butterflies floating around. Made for a nice date and they did weddings in it too..

I've hardly ever seen any butterflies in the DR aside from some zebra heliconia in a cluster once, and I think they're toxic so they didn't get eaten..

37.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a lot of butterflies on our property - most of them are the small yellow/buttercup colored ones. So pretty!

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Not only gorgeous, but very effective in pollinating flowers thereby nourishing many insects and birds with each motion. In the words of Freak Nasty, "I put my hand upon your hip. I move, you move, we move."(still learning my target audience)

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I've been to many a butterfly house in my time, in Iowa (don't ask), NYC, and St. Martin. It is a good idea. I would just be concerned about the training and maintenance involved. The one in St. Martin (French side) had a very strict exit policy to ensure that nobody deft with pieces of the "collection" under their hats or anything!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i read somewhere about the butterfly technique...of course it has almost nothing to do with the femme fetal "mariposa" of sosua...

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
i read somewhere about the butterfly technique...of course it has almost nothing to do with the femme fetal "mariposa" of sosua...

I believe there was another poster who wondered about finding the niche audience.....I suspect that this purely scientific thread is not the place for the alleged butterfly technique. I also read "Cosmopolitan" in the 70s. A different kind of science.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Some of the "femmes" in Sosua are practically "fetal" they are so young, but most are more "fatale."

Your malapropism, whether intentional or not, did give me a good laugh.