Orgullo ............ but I run

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Orgullo if I am correct is the Spanish word for Pride. What is with some Dominicans who talk pride of their country but first chance they get they will run off to the good old USA in a heartbeat. Funny part when they get to the USA they want to wave the Dominican flag but don't want to live in la rep dom.

Don't take me wrong as I know not all Dominicans are like that. The ones who need to band together and force changes are just too weak minded to do so. Easy thing, run away from the problem.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The words to this song says it all.

[video=youtube;xjfi758AKgo]x[/video]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Orgullo if I am correct is the Spanish word for Pride. What is with some Dominicans who talk pride of their country but first chance they get they will run off to the good old USA in a heartbeat. Funny part when they get to the USA they want to wave the Dominican flag but don't want to live in la rep dom.

Don't take me wrong as I know not all Dominicans are like that. The ones who need to band together and force changes are just too weak minded to do so. Easy thing, run away from the problem.

a great posting. it is something i ponder very frequently. i can understand a guy who went to college, got a degree, and now he cannot find a job in his field, and the future prospects look bleak. so, he tries to see if he can get a job in a foreign land, to make his efforts worth the while.

on the opposite side there are the guys and dolls who cannot spell cat, do not have any skills, have no work prospects, but want to get on a yola somewhere. they don?t even care where they go, as long as it is not the DR. i do not get it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I guess I am a dreamer. I see so many people living a good life in Santo Domingo and often wonder why those less fortunate don't get their act together and try to better themselves in their own country. I go back to the days of Martin Luther King, H Rap Brown, Louis Farrakhan.............. We didn't run, we stayed and fought ............

just another senior moment for me ................ LOL

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I don't think they're "running away from the problem", I think they just want a better life. That's offered in other countries. Just because they move, doesn't mean they're no longer proud of their ancestry. It's really no different than the Irish who fled the potato famine, the Italians who fled the southern regions when disease killed the crops they survived on, etc., all were poor and looking to survive.

Just look at the US and its ethnic festivals and parade celebrations - lots of foreign flags waving. Puerto Rican, Dominican, Italian, Greek, and everyone is Irish on March 17th.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@AE, I hear you but I just don't understand why so many people here continue to be stepped on and don't force changes.

I know some who do quite well with continuing their education and others who just gave up before they even tried.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I guess I am a dreamer. I see so many people living a good life in Santo Domingo and often wonder why those less fortunate don't get their act together and try to better themselves in their own country. I go back to the days of Martin Luther King, H Rap Brown, Louis Farrakhan.............. We didn't run, we stayed and fought ............

just another senior moment for me ................ LOL

sometimes i sit at a caseta on the malecon with my buddy, just discussing this topic, and that. EXACTLY what you just said was what we were talking about last Friday. we know this guy from Yasica who drives a taxi from the hospital area of POP to Sosua. he lives in a modest home,and owns a later model Camry. now he tells me that he wants to go to Nueba Yol. he is 55 years old, has grown kids, and a steady gig, but rather than expending his efforts in his own land, he wants to go to a place where there are next to no prospects for advancement and betterment. just as long as it is not the DR.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't think they're "running away from the problem", I think they just want a better life. That's offered in other countries. Just because they move, doesn't mean they're no longer proud of their ancestry. It's really no different than the Irish who fled the potato famine, the Italians who fled the southern regions when disease killed the crops they survived on, etc., all were poor and looking to survive.

Just look at the US and its ethnic festivals and parade celebrations - lots of foreign flags waving. Puerto Rican, Dominican, Italian, Greek, and everyone is Irish on March 17th.

yeah, AE, but the Irish and Italians would have died from starvation if they had not fled the famines.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
sometimes i sit at a caseta on the malecon with my buddy, just discussing this topic, and that. EXACTLY what you just said was what we were talking about last Friday. we know this guy from Yasica who drives a taxi from the hospital area of POP to Sosua. he lives in a modest home,and owns a later model Camry. now he tells me that he wants to go to Nueba Yol. he is 55 years old, has grown kids, and a steady gig, but rather than expending his efforts in his own land, he wants to go to a place where there are next to no prospects for advancement and betterment. just as long as it is not the DR.

Got to agree with you, The Grass is always Greener on the other side of the fence...........

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
@AE, I hear you but I just don't understand why so many people here continue to be stepped on and don't force changes.

I know some who do quite well with continuing their education and others who just gave up before they even tried.

they have not given up. they are just in a holding pattern, until their gringo savior shows up.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I believe Santo Domingo has spoiled me. I look out my window in the morning and see people dressed nice with their lunch pail going off to work. I go to the mall and see peeps shopping, eating in the food court. Peeps on the Metro going home from a day of classes.

I know, I know life is not like that for every one but I would be burning tires every day to make changes instead of running away. This is a great country if you have a few bucks.

I hear the cries of those who do nothing but when I ask did you at least try to fill out an application to work at the mall, or the metro, or IKEA ............. well they go stupid and say I want USA

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
That dream is put to rest when they find out that NY is not paved of gold but paved of snow..................hahahahahahahaha

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
murica offers better possibilities. a cleaner or a waiter will make a lot more there than here. i've seen this first hand with polaks immigrating to the UK, renting single rooms, living in large packs in big rental houses; all this to make enough money to but an apartment or a house back home, put away enough money to start a business back home. dominicans do the same thing, really. does not mean they are not really proud of where they come from.

and look at this board, even. so many americans here, living full time. yet they never miss a chance to write long diatribes in US-related thread in off topic and they get mighty offended if you make jokes about bushobama. clearly proud of their homeland, despite abandoning it for pastures with cheaper punnaney.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That dream is put to rest when they find out that NY is not paved of gold but paved of snow..................hahahahahahahaha

the two women that i helped out had fortune on their side, so even though they were absolutely useless, they were attractive, and got into the world of adult entertainment. if they looked like Joe Cocker, they would have been burning down the house to go back to Laguna Salada and feeding goats.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
murica offers better possibilities. a cleaner or a waiter will make a lot more there than here. i've seen this first hand with polaks immigrating to the UK, renting single rooms, living in large packs in big rental houses; all this to make enough money to but an apartment or a house back home, put away enough money to start a business back home. dominicans do the same thing, really. does not mean they are not really proud of where they come from.

and look at this board, even. so many americans here, living full time. yet they never miss a chance to write long diatribes in US-related thread in off topic and they get mighty offended if you make jokes about bushobama. clearly proud of their homeland, despite abandoning it for pastures with cheaper punnaney.

the thing is that the over the hill gang on DR1 have already paid their dues. they did not go on the poon hunt when they were 23. they made it first, then when they became a happy band of geriatrics, they came to the DR. and you cannot compare people from a society like Poland, which produces a highly educated and advanced population, with the DR. when you graduate from a university in Poland, it means something. when you go to the USA from Moncion, and you have a high school diploma, they do not even want to entrust you with a broom.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I don't know, but I have a theory. Many of the middle-age and older people are still under the Trujillo mentality?? Decades of not daring to have an opposing opinion to anything the government does, even in your own home??? Balaguer wasn't much better than Trujillo - lots of people 'disappeared'. Those who grew-up/lived in those time, well maybe they consciously or sub-consciously passed on the 'don't make waves' mentality to their children????

If I'm right, it will take a little more time. I already see the teenagers and early 20-somethings in DR being more outspoken, and speaking out.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
a great posting. it is something i ponder very frequently. i can understand a guy who went to college, got a degree, and now he cannot find a job in his field, and the future prospects look bleak. so, he tries to see if he can get a job in a foreign land, to make his efforts worth the while.

on the opposite side there are the guys and dolls who cannot spell cat, do not have any skills, have no work prospects, but want to get on a yola somewhere. they don?t even care where they go, as long as it is not the DR. i do not get it.

I DO HOPE this post will not get deleted, as have some of my other posts that I consider to be on topic, but have been deleted anyway?
I think the "pride" is just that blind nationalism that so many people from so many places have. It's a tribal thing, an identity touchstone for people. You could ask a lot of people why they have that nationalistic pride and they would dredge up the best of their country's culture and history, but really it's just a reflexive response.
In terms of the masses here who want to emigrate with absolutely no skills or work prospects? I just put that down to lack of education and ignorance, along with an overinflated sense of self which is very, very common here.
They lack role models who have put their noses to the grindstone and succeeded. That is not a model they are familiar with. It is arguable whether that is even possible here, it is so poor and corrupt.
So in their ignorance they just assume that they are or will be good at something and that they will have great success with little effort in the USA.
Combine that with the dishonesty of returning Dominicans who paint a better picture of life overseas, due to "orgullo" and I can see how they have this delusion.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I DO HOPE this post will not get deleted, as have some of my other posts that I consider to be on topic, but have been deleted anyway…
I think the "pride" is just that blind nationalism that so many people from so many places have. It's a tribal thing, an identity touchstone for people. You could ask a lot of people why they have that nationalistic pride and they would dredge up the best of their country's culture and history, but really it's just a reflexive response.
In terms of the masses here who want to emigrate with absolutely no skills or work prospects… I just put that down to lack of education and ignorance, along with an overinflated sense of self which is very, very common here.
They lack role models who have put their noses to the grindstone and succeeded. That is not a model they are familiar with. It is arguable whether that is even possible here, it is so poor and corrupt.
So in their ignorance they just assume that they are or will be good at something and that they will have great success with little effort in the USA.
Combine that with the dishonesty of returning Dominicans who paint a better picture of life overseas, due to "orgullo" and I can see how they have this delusion.

i feel you. i see it as a cop out of sorts. i am a bust here, because i am not there.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

If I'm right, it will take a little more time. I already see the teenagers and early 20-somethings in DR being more outspoken, and speaking out.

I sure hope so................ I love it here and if more peeps could live like the ones I see on a daily basis would be fantastic.