Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Orgullo ............ but I run

Orgullo if I am correct is the Spanish word for Pride. What is with some Dominicans who talk pride of their country but first chance they get they will run off to the good old USA in a heartbeat. Funny part when they get to the USA they want to wave the Dominican flag but don't want to live in la rep dom.

Don't take me wrong as I know not all Dominicans are like that. The ones who need to band together and force changes are just too weak minded to do so. Easy thing, run away from the problem.

2. Likes caribmike, Peterj liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The words to this song says it all.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

4. Likes jabejuventus liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Orgullo if I am correct is the Spanish word for Pride. What is with some Dominicans who talk pride of their country but first chance they get they will run off to the good old USA in a heartbeat. Funny part when they get to the USA they want to wave the Dominican flag but don't want to live in la rep dom.

Don't take me wrong as I know not all Dominicans are like that. The ones who need to band together and force changes are just too weak minded to do so. Easy thing, run away from the problem.
    a great posting. it is something i ponder very frequently. i can understand a guy who went to college, got a degree, and now he cannot find a job in his field, and the future prospects look bleak. so, he tries to see if he can get a job in a foreign land, to make his efforts worth the while.

on the opposite side there are the guys and dolls who cannot spell cat, do not have any skills, have no work prospects, but want to get on a yola somewhere. they donīt even care where they go, as long as it is not the DR. i do not get it.

6. Likes rubio_higuey liked this post
    Dislikes jabejuventus disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am a dreamer. I see so many people living a good life in Santo Domingo and often wonder why those less fortunate don't get their act together and try to better themselves in their own country. I go back to the days of Martin Luther King, H Rap Brown, Louis Farrakhan.............. We didn't run, we stayed and fought ............

just another senior moment for me ................ LOL

8. Likes Commander Ooh La La, USN liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they're "running away from the problem", I think they just want a better life. That's offered in other countries. Just because they move, doesn't mean they're no longer proud of their ancestry. It's really no different than the Irish who fled the potato famine, the Italians who fled the southern regions when disease killed the crops they survived on, etc., all were poor and looking to survive.

Just look at the US and its ethnic festivals and parade celebrations - lots of foreign flags waving. Puerto Rican, Dominican, Italian, Greek, and everyone is Irish on March 17th.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

@AE, I hear you but I just don't understand why so many people here continue to be stepped on and don't force changes.

I know some who do quite well with continuing their education and others who just gave up before they even tried.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am a dreamer. I see so many people living a good life in Santo Domingo and often wonder why those less fortunate don't get their act together and try to better themselves in their own country. I go back to the days of Martin Luther King, H Rap Brown, Louis Farrakhan.............. We didn't run, we stayed and fought ............

just another senior moment for me ................ LOL
    sometimes i sit at a caseta on the malecon with my buddy, just discussing this topic, and that. EXACTLY what you just said was what we were talking about last Friday. we know this guy from Yasica who drives a taxi from the hospital area of POP to Sosua. he lives in a modest home,and owns a later model Camry. now he tells me that he wants to go to Nueba Yol. he is 55 years old, has grown kids, and a steady gig, but rather than expending his efforts in his own land, he wants to go to a place where there are next to no prospects for advancement and betterment. just as long as it is not the DR.

12. Dislikes jabejuventus disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I don't think they're "running away from the problem", I think they just want a better life. That's offered in other countries. Just because they move, doesn't mean they're no longer proud of their ancestry. It's really no different than the Irish who fled the potato famine, the Italians who fled the southern regions when disease killed the crops they survived on, etc., all were poor and looking to survive.

Just look at the US and its ethnic festivals and parade celebrations - lots of foreign flags waving. Puerto Rican, Dominican, Italian, Greek, and everyone is Irish on March 17th.
    yeah, AE, but the Irish and Italians would have died from starvation if they had not fled the famines.

14. Dislikes jabejuventus disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    sometimes i sit at a caseta on the malecon with my buddy, just discussing this topic, and that. EXACTLY what you just said was what we were talking about last Friday. we know this guy from Yasica who drives a taxi from the hospital area of POP to Sosua. he lives in a modest home,and owns a later model Camry. now he tells me that he wants to go to Nueba Yol. he is 55 years old, has grown kids, and a steady gig, but rather than expending his efforts in his own land, he wants to go to a place where there are next to no prospects for advancement and betterment. just as long as it is not the DR.
    Got to agree with you, The Grass is always Greener on the other side of the fence...........

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

@AE, I hear you but I just don't understand why so many people here continue to be stepped on and don't force changes.

I know some who do quite well with continuing their education and others who just gave up before they even tried.
    they have not given up. they are just in a holding pattern, until their gringo savior shows up.

17. Dislikes jabejuventus disliked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast