It ain't about the pesos.............

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just left La Cadena. My change was to be 58 pesos. Well the cashier only had 56 pesos so she gave me that expecting me to smile and walk away. She could have very easily got up off her rear end and walked 30 feet to customer service to get more change as there will be more customers after me. Nope she won't do that.

I politely kept my mouth shut, tapped on the counter to let her know two more pesos. Well she gets an attitude and takes back one peso and replaces it with a five pesos coin. I end up with two extra pesos of change. It is not about two measly pesos but more so what a person thinks they can just get away with.

Same thing when I hit the gas station to fill up. Pump stops a few pesos under being even money. Instead of squeezing the handle the attendant shuts the pump off and quite naturally does not have the few pesos of change. I sit and wait for him to go inside and get my change just to annoy him.

I have a list a mile long of how you will get nickeled and dimed here..............but, I still love living here.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I stand right with them as they pump the gas and discuss Albert Pujols with a broad smile. Most don't care but some unscrupulous workers are annoyed. Learned that tip on DR1.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I stand right with them as they pump the gas and discuss Albert Pujols with a broad smile. Most don't care but some unscrupulous workers are annoyed. Learned that tip on DR1.

4*4*4, you got to get up to 501 posts. I started a goody in Off Topic about the easy chicas on this island.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It's all about the Benjamins though.................................

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Just left La Cadena. My change was to be 58 pesos. Well the cashier only had 56 pesos so she gave me that expecting me to smile and walk away. She could have very easily got up off her rear end and walked 30 feet to customer service to get more change as there will be more customers after me. Nope she won't do that.

I politely kept my mouth shut, tapped on the counter to let her know two more pesos. Well she gets an attitude and takes back one peso and replaces it with a five pesos coin. I end up with two extra pesos of change. It is not about two measly pesos but more so what a person thinks they can just get away with.

Same thing when I hit the gas station to fill up. Pump stops a few pesos under being even money. Instead of squeezing the handle the attendant shuts the pump off and quite naturally does not have the few pesos of change. I sit and wait for him to go inside and get my change just to annoy him.

I have a list a mile long of how you will get nickeled and dimed here..............but, I still love living here.

This bothers me too. It's just the point of it, not the 2 pesos.
This is not a land to stand on principle, IMO. Just doesn't work here.
Dominicans are relativists, there are very few absolutes. That's why there is so much corruption and cheating.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I use the same stores - regularly- to avoid these issues.

Big Bird, worked them for 2 pesos and they gave him two... where's the beef???

In my area, they swap you 2 candies for the peso shortfall.

GAS??
stand there and instruct them..... easy

BTW, Canada did away with pennies a few years ago.... too costly... they round up/down now
Dollar and $2 dollar bills too....

the future awaits

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I take it one step farther. When he stops I pick it up and continue pumping myself. I stop where I want. No one had ever
stopped me from doing that.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I've never had the issue at the gas station. Actually most times they go a bit over the amount asked for. However, many times I have had the issue of change at a grocery store, but as WW said, they always offer candies in place of the pesos and usually apologize as well. I'd rather the candies than all those darn 1 peso coins bulking up my wallet anyway. I can see it being frustrating in a case like yours, bigbird, where she just gave the wrong change and didn't even mention it though.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
To avoid the whole gas thing I always ask for 3000 pesos fuel. The rare case I'm filling up and it's less than 3000 I haven't had problems.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I take it one step farther. When he stops I pick it up and continue pumping myself. I stop where I want. No one had ever
stopped me from doing that.

Cracking up laughing. Maybe I will do that next time and do the hand hold up thing where it ain't my fault I don't have the extra pesos.

To me it really don't mean a thing a peso here or a peso there. Most times I just get my laughs messing with people and especially people who think they done got over on me...............

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
never an issue at the gas station and if there ever was i wouldnt mind a few pesos short as it is nice to get served, and they are always good lads, check the levels, wash my screen if need be. Here in the uk here there is no such thing as service attendant at the gas station. got to check my own levels, clean my own screen, walk over to the kiosk to pay or enter chip n pin at the machin. but then there are no bars at the gas stations here either. for these things i prefer dr.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A few years ago some shops in the Bavaro area would give out candies if they where a few pesos short. This aggravated a freind to the point I thought her head would explode. One day she had a bright idea to short change a cashier 3 or 4 pesos and give them candies instead.
The cashiers head did explode. (Metaphorically speaking). She called a manager who threatend to call Politur (now cespool or whatever) and the whole thing just got ridiculously out of control.
She ended up demanding all her money and candy back and left the store without buying anything. She also never went back.
The whole thing still amazes me as to what both side did over a couple pesos.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
A few years ago some shops in the Bavaro area would give out candies if they where a few pesos short. This aggravated a freind to the point I thought her head would explode. One day she had a bright idea to short change a cashier 3 or 4 pesos and give them candies instead.
The cashiers head did explode. (Metaphorically speaking). She called a manager who threatend to call Politur (now cespool or whatever) and the whole thing just got ridiculously out of control.
She ended up demanding all her money and candy back and left the store without buying anything. She also never went back.

haha oh my! Some friends who live in Sosua tried the same thing there. In their case it didn't get out of hand like this though. I think the cashier just looked at them like they were crazy and said she couldn't accept it and they didn't push it. I think I might actually be able to pull this off and they accept it here in Cabrera.. but then they don't worry if I am a couple pesos short anyway, so I am sure they would just say to keep the pesos AND the candies! ;)

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015

I find that really funny, actually. I don't mind the candies, depending of course on what they are…
I DO mind being shorted change with no explanation, apology OR candy, especially at a big store where someone sure as he!! has change, but they are not waddling over to get it and give it to ME.
I don't care if it's 2 pesos, because it's MY 2 pesos, and no, I did not gift it to some slack-jawed cashier.
But that's just me. Others may not be bothered by it.

Apr 7, 2014
This bothers me too. It's just the point of it, not the 2 pesos.
This is not a land to stand on principle, IMO. Just doesn't work here.
Dominicans are relativists, there are very few absolutes. That's why there is so much corruption and cheating.
No. Incorrect. Relativists with their money. Absolutists with yours.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013

get a life.... how can you waist your time like that...