AMET doing something else than checking the soup bowls

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Up to now I thought the only job of AMET is to check if every rider of motorbike has his plastic soup bowl on his head.

You can do pretty much everything else on the street, ride on the wrong side, drive recklessly, endanger other driver, doesn't matter - as long as you have your plastic soup bowl (they call it 'helmet') on your head they won't bother you.

So today I saw AMET standing in Sosua shortly after the corner Ayuntamiento / Pedro Clisante, the last part of Pedro Clisante which is a one way.

The thing is, when you enter this part (left after Anna Maria) - there is NO sign that it is a one way street, the first sign is half way through this street. You can enter this street and not doing something wrong, of course, at the end of the street where AMET was waiting there is the one way sign.

Pretty sure they found a new spot to suck some money out of gringos, not sure I've ever seen such a useless governmental organisation. The DR could most likely get rid of the national debt it they'd fine all people who violate serious traffic violations, but who cares.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You can do pretty much everything else on the street, ride on the wrong side, drive recklessly, endanger other driver, doesn't matter - as long as you have your plastic soup bowl (they call it 'helmet') on your head they won't bother you.

plastic soup bowl? nonsense.

2e2h6iq.jpg

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
A regular visitor soon gets to know the one-way streets..

Surviving residents look both ways anyway...

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Up to now I thought the only job of AMET is to check if every rider of motorbike has his plastic soup bowl on his head.

Doesn't even need to be on your head, you just have to have one. And only one, no matter how many people are on the bike.