Banco Popular and PayPal....Please Decipher

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
Greetings guys. I was wondering if anyone on here can please tell me how does PayPal work for Dominicans with an account in Banco Popular. My girl has a savings account at the bank, and she has a debit card to withdraw and deposit money. We managed to open a PayPal account from her end so she can shop online or for me to send money to purchase certain goods for my export bussiness, but she decided to open a personal account, and there is nowhere to add a bank account like the U.S. PayPal version, only a credit card or debit card......what gives???? Once we decided to put the debit card info in, it rejected it even though it is a legitimate banco popular account linked to her savings account. Why is it so difficult to sign up for PayPal in D.R.? Can anyone please decipher what a Dominican citizen can and can't do with a PayPal account?

If I wanted to send her money through PayPal, how would she get the cash out? Will the cash be moved to her savings account? Does banco popular charge a fee for that move? How long would the cash take to appear in her bank account? Does the account have to be a Checking account, or would the savings account with the debit card work just as well? Is there a charge to me by transferring money to her in D.R. From my American PayPal or is it still free by checking the sending money to friend and family box? If anyone has had any experience on this situation or can clear up the PayPal Dominican spiderweb restriction and sign up process I would appreciate it. Thanks.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
- Banco Popular charges 10USD
Per transaction
- It takes 4 days for the money to appear. (I've never seen it in less than 4 days or in more than 4 days.)
- It will work on Debit or Savings Account.
- The only fee you will have on paypal side, is transferring the funds from your account to hers, which I think is 1usd.

In order for her to withdraw funds from paypal in BPD, she needs a Internet Banking account and a Token.
She can go to any Popular and request access, is free.

Requirements:
BPD Savings or Debit Account
BPD Internet Banking Access
BPD Token
Paypal Account

Step 1
3f7fe62.jpg

Access your BPD Account

Step 2
40468ad.jpg

Step 3
418f17f.jpg

Click the Paypal link on the menu bar on the right

Step 4
423dd86.jpg

Click on Vincular Cuenta, in this part you will link your Paypal Account with your BPD Account

Step 5
3c95f44.jpg

Write your paypal email address. After this your account will be linked, and now you can withdraw money from paypal.

Step 6
3eb2bb7.jpg

The process to withdraw money is: Choose your paypal email from the list, then the BPD account you will like to get the money in. After that, the amount you wish to withdraw. Accept terms and condition. After that you will be asked to type the number on your token, and after that wait 4 days for the money to show up.

Hoped I helped you.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
You can not send money straight from Paypall to Banco Popular if is not your own account. That service is special for people that sell products on internet and make it easy to transfer their founds from their own paypall account to their own popular bank account.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
You can not send money straight from Paypall to Banco Popular if is not your own account. That service is special for people that sell products on internet and make it easy to transfer their founds from their own paypall account to their own popular bank account.

False, I do it all the time.
The process he is doing, is transferring money from his paypal to his girlfriend paypal, and his girlfriend withdraw money via BPD.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Right.

His story about export business and all that was a little long winded though.

All he had to do was ask "How can I send money to my girlfriend in the DR through paypal."

One thing is send money using paypall and another thing is using the paypal option that is in Internet Banking from Banco Popular.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Per transaction

Write your paypal email address. After this your account will be linked, and now you can withdraw money from paypal.

The process to withdraw money is: Choose your paypal email from the list, then the BPD account you will like to get the money in. After that, the amount you wish to withdraw. Accept terms and condition. After that you will be asked to type the number on your token, and after that wait 4 days for the money to show up.

Hoped I helped you.

Out of curiosity, can this process be done in reverse? For instance, transferring funds from DR to US.

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
Much Thanks.....this super thorough.

Absolutely! You have helped 100% Super clear on your explanation. The only thing I was puzled about was this token thing.....what is that exactly? It seems that things are much harder to do in D.R. I was able to link my bank account and debit card in minutes, not once did I even have to show up to the bank. This next question is going to be a silly one, but here it goes: Do Dominicans qualify for a PayPal DebitCard??? I'm going to assume no, since that would mess with Banco Popular little money making machine by charging that extra $10 USD. Thanks a million for such a thorough explanation

Per transaction
- It takes 4 days for the money to appear. (I've never seen it in less than 4 days or in more than 4 days.)
- It will work on Debit or Savings Account.
- The only fee you will have on paypal side, is transferring the funds from your account to hers, which I think is 1usd.

In order for her to withdraw funds from paypal in BPD, she needs a Internet Banking account and a Token.
She can go to any Popular and request access, is free.

Requirements:
BPD Savings or Debit Account
BPD Internet Banking Access
BPD Token
Paypal Account

Step 1
3f7fe62.jpg

Access your BPD Account

Step 2
40468ad.jpg

Step 3
418f17f.jpg

Click the Paypal link on the menu bar on the right

Step 4
423dd86.jpg

Click on Vincular Cuenta, in this part you will link your Paypal Account with your BPD Account

Step 5
3c95f44.jpg

Step 6
3eb2bb7.jpg

Hoped I helped you.

Last edited:

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
JD sorry for being thorough, but I have been reading this forum long enough to know that sooner or later the cuero comments would come pouring in.....there are actually women there who you can do legitimate bussiness with, but my apologies if I tired you out.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Absolutely! You have helped 100% Super clear on your explanation. The only thing I was puzled about was this token thing.....what is that exactly? It seems that things are much harder to do in D.R. I was able to link my bank account and debit card in minutes, not once did I even have to show up to the bank. This next question is going to be avsilly one, but here it goes: Do Dominicans qualify for a PayPal DebitCard??? I'm going to assume no, since that would mess with Banco Popular little money making machine by charging that extra $10 USD. Thanks a million for such a thorough explanation

No, we are not eligible for it.

And the token is just for security, is a device that changes every 30 seconds its numbers, every time you try to do a transaction in BPD, it will ask you for the current code in it.

SID700.gif

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Out of curiosity, can this process be done in reverse? For instance, transferring funds from DR to US.

There is no official way of doing it, but there are workarounds.
You will need two email addresses.
Dominican Credit Card or Banco Leon-BHD Prepaid Card
US Bank Account

Register both emails on Paypal.
On the First eMail link your Dominican Card
On the second account link your US Bank Account.
After that, request a payment from your US Bank account email to your other email that is being linked with your Dominican CC.

As mentioned, it's not a official method, but is not illegal and works.

You can also use Skrill, which does allow you to 'upload' money from one source (CC, bank account) and withdraw it to a Bank account, with the same account.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
US Bank Account

After that, request a payment from your US Bank account email to your other email that is being linked with your Dominican CC.

You can also use Skrill, which does allow you to 'upload' money from one source (CC, bank account) and withdraw it to a Bank account, with the same account.

Thanks. :cool:

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
In other words will BP allow her to use my email via PayPal?

If she uses my email to send me funds through PayPal the way it is done traditionally in the U.S. From PayPal to PayPal, she would have to send it to her own American PayPal account, then from the American PayPal to me? Or could she just send the funds straight to my PayPal account linked to my American account? Wow the process is truly difficult there. Is signing up and shopping on Ebay or Amazon, just as complex? My girlfriends brother signed up for Ebay, but it will not allow him to see the U.S. Ebay page, so the same items I'm looking at here, are at least 40-80% markup on the international page than it is on the U.S. Page. A used Ps3 game that sell here for $18.00 dollars, on his end is being sold for $79.00 Is there a way around this? Thanks.

US Bank Account

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
If she uses my email to send me funds through PayPal the way it is done traditionally in the U.S. From PayPal to PayPal, she would have to send it to her own American PayPal account, then from the American PayPal to me? Or could she just send the funds straight to my PayPal account linked to my American account? Wow the process is truly difficult there. Is signing up and shopping on Ebay or Amazon, just as complex? My girlfriends brother signed up for Ebay, but it will not allow him to see the U.S. Ebay page, so the same items I'm looking at here, are at least 40-80% markup on the international page than it is on the U.S. Page. A used Ps3 game that sell here for $18.00 dollars, on his end is being sold for $79.00 Is there a way around this? Thanks.

That's totally a different story. For your purpose, you just need to send money to her paypal from yours, or just add your paypal to BPD and withdraw it.
You can choose to buy on US Ebay or internation ebay, I buy from US Ebay.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
On Ebay 0r Amazon you should use one of the mail services like EPS. You use that address from EPS in Miami, then you
can order from the US page. I do it from the DR all the time on both, never saw the DR page.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
That's totally a different story. For your purpose, you just need to send money to her paypal from yours, or just add your paypal to BPD and withdraw it.
You can choose to buy on US Ebay or internation ebay, I buy from US Ebay.

thank you for the fantastic and detailed info given on the theme.
the PayPal account can be personal and/or business
or does it has to be a Personal PayPal Account?

Mike

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
thank you for the fantastic and detailed info given on the theme.
the PayPal account can be personal and/or business
or does it has to be a Personal PayPal Account?

Mike

Hey Mike,

The account does not matter, because at the end Paypal register the Withdraw as a payment sent.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hey Mike,

The account does not matter, because at the end Paypal register the Withdraw as a payment sent.

thanks again.
we've been on BPD on tuesday,
set up a new US$ savings account for this, but then their "System" went downhill so we left.
it was out again yesterday, so we will be back there on tuesday, avoiding the payday end of month crowds.
due your great detailed desciptions i will know exactly what to await there and the banker can not tell me some kinda crap.
thanks again

Mike

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
thanks again.
we've been on BPD on tuesday,
set up a new US$ savings account for this, but then their "System" went downhill so we left.
it was out again yesterday, so we will be back there on tuesday, avoiding the payday end of month crowds.
due your great detailed desciptions i will know exactly what to await there and the banker can not tell me some kinda crap.
thanks again

Mike

When transferring funds from Paypal to BPD, your funds will not be transferred in dollars, but in pesos, in case that's the reason you are opening a US Savings account. One of the advantages is that the conversion rate, is the one BPD has at that moment, not some crazy Internet Conversion Rate (Like Amazon 48x1).

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
When transferring funds from Paypal to BPD, your funds will not be transferred in dollars, but in pesos, in case that's the reason you are opening a US Savings account. One of the advantages is that the conversion rate, is the one BPD has at that moment, not some crazy Internet Conversion Rate (Like Amazon 48x1).

now thats a interesting point.
as the banker did not mention such.
the funds i receive on PayPal are always in US$ and as you correctly assumed,
i would like to receive them here in USDollars on the US$ account.
so you say PayPal converts my Dollars into Pesos
and then Banco Popular converts Pesos into Dollars again to get them stored on a Dollar account?
that would be bad,
as 2 currency convertions are never a good thing on one transaction.

Mike