The Other Side of OverStaying

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
183 day rule for Canada also apply for medical benefits?

Will the Canadian government program to prevent fraud also prevent people out for more than 183 day in a year ineligible for medical benefits in Canada?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good question, Windy.

The point here is that other governments, in addition to RD, are taking interest.
Note the US/Can cooperation on entry/exit.

RD already has a tax agreement with Canada, it would be a small step to take things further.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A US citizen who spends more than 330 days a year outside of the US is exempt from Obamacare. Another way of saying that is that a US citizen who spends more than 330 days a year outside of the US is not eligible for Obamacare.

And if you want to enroll in Obamacare after being out of the country for more than 330 days in a given year, you would have to take up residency in the US and wait for the open enrollment period.

ObamaCare's open enrollment 2015 starts on November 15th, 2014 and ends on February 15th, 2015. Starting in 2015, open enrollment only lasts for three months, however this open enrollment period may be subject to change.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
A US citizen who spends more than 330 days a year outside of the US is exempt from Obamacare. Another way of saying that is that a US citizen who spends more than 330 days a year outside of the US is not eligible for Obamacare.

And if you want to enroll in Obamacare after being out of the country for more than 330 days in a given year, you would have to take up residency in the US and wait for the open enrollment period.

ObamaCare's open enrollment 2015 starts on November 15th, 2014 and ends on February 15th, 2015. Starting in 2015, open enrollment only lasts for three months, however this open enrollment period may be subject to change.

Really there are no benefits in the ACA for U.S. Expats other than penalties, if you choose not to participate. However, that is eliminated by being a full 330 days outside the U.S. and its Territories. Being that health insurance is so affordable in the RD for a family, there is no point in partaking in ACA for the U.S. expat. Being outside the country and exempt is the way to go. This all may change soon anyways after 2016 elections.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Up to this point, Cdn citizens crossing the US land border from Canada, say to catch a cheaper flight out of a US airport, just vanished off the govt's radar. That's what's coming to an end. Anyone catching an international flight from a Canadian airport was already flagged as having left the country.

As for Healthcare, Canadians have for as long as I know faced exclusion limits put in place by their home provinces if absent from the province/country for more than a set period of time. However, this is Canada. I cannot see the healthcare system denying a Canadian citizen urgent/required medical treatment if they present themselves at a Canadian Hospital regardless of how long they have been out of the country. Asking the govt to pay for treatment accessed outside of Canada is a different matter.

Access to Healthcare is not a right but is enshrined in our culture and legislation. Any Canadian automatically qualifies for healthcare upon returning to Canada and the expiration of a waiting period that is no longer than 90 days. With this certainty of payment by the system, there is no point for the hospitals to jumping up and down.

Those living outside Canada have a choice. They can declare themselves non-residents of Canada for tax purposes and enjoy a lower income tax rate. You can also declare yourself a resident for the purposes of taxes, if you still maintain significant ties to the country (bank accounts, own real estate etc). You are assessed for taxes at the full rate and may derive some preferential consideration based on that status if you suddenly find yourself back home.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Really there are no benefits in the ACA for U.S. Expats other than penalties, if you choose not to participate.

Unless you're in the US and get sick or have an accident. Or find that you need a surgery that you'd prefer not to do in the DR. If you're a US citizen and you're in the US and you're uninsured, there is nothing EXCEPT benefits in the ACA.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Unless you're in the US and get sick or have an accident. Or find that you need a surgery that you'd prefer not to do in the DR. If you're a US citizen and you're in the US and you're uninsured, there is nothing EXCEPT benefits in the ACA.

Anyone who lives in the DR full time (or any other country and has no current residence in the USA) is not eligible for the ACA. I cannot enroll in the ACA if I want to do so and I have no benefit from the ACA when I am in the USA.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

I can buy private medical travel insurance though Bupa in Europe to cover the max 35 days that I might be in the U.S., so no need for ACA.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No AE, the issue here is for those 'out of country' more than 1/2 a year.

The RD illegals will get it from both sides....

Many Cdns overstay in FLA..... but seem to keep the benefits.
Canada wants to eliminate this.

As someone pointed out - health care is really not an issue.
Get back inside the border for 90 days - prove it, and you're reinstated

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
Can't speak for the US but each Cdn. province has a set eligibility criteria that deems whether you're a resident or not. Applies not only to health cards but many government issued license, hunting licenses come to mind. You can be re-instated as a resident once you've lived in that province continually for a certain number of months.

We are seeing this tracking system all over the world. Summer 2012, friend crossed the US/Cdn border for a job interview. He'd been unemployed for a number of months. Couple weeks later they cut off his EI because he'd been to the US. How did they know? Through his passport which he showed crossing the border. The Feds are just upping their game now to catch not only suspected EI cheats but suspected Canada Pension (disability also) and Old Age Security recipients. Very few people realise just how easy it is for the government to track you.

It does make me uneasy that I can be tracked so easily but appreciate that cheaters should be caught. I would hope gvts. are being as diligent collecting the millions of dollars of taxes on the billions the 1% have stashed away in overseas tax havens.