Pool filter pressure gauge at zero

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Last week I replaced my pool pump. I went from a 1HP to a 3/4HP. Was told that would be fine. I was also told it was a electrical input so I got a 230 V pump. Turns out it is a 110 V input. So I had to purchase a transformer 110V to 230V.
The pump basket is always full of water and the jets in the pool seem fine, yet my pressure gauge reads 0 or could be 1 or 2 hard to tell. After a week it has remained the same. Not sure I have a problem other than the pressure gauge reading. What'ya think?
Don't want to wait till something breaks. Thanks

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
This may sound a daft question, but are you sure it read anything other than zero before you made the changes? I had a similar issue back in the UK and it was the gauge, never did any harm.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Last week I replaced my pool pump. I went from a 1HP to a 3/4HP. Was told that would be fine. I was also told it was a electrical input so I got a 230 V pump. Turns out it is a 110 V input. So I had to purchase a transformer 110V to 230V.
The pump basket is always full of water and the jets in the pool seem fine, yet my pressure gauge reads 0 or could be 1 or 2 hard to tell. After a week it has remained the same. Not sure I have a problem other than the pressure gauge reading. What'ya think?
Don't want to wait till something breaks. Thanks

You went from a 1hp to 3/4hp. A pool pump simply recirculates the water in the pool through the filter. downsizing the pump also downsizes the amount of water flow. (check the pump curves). Try closing a discharge valve some and look at the pressure gauge to see if the pressure changes If so, you just bought too small of a pump. If not, your gauge is bad.. Simple..

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
It won't make a difference. The psi is lower because the pump is 3/4 HP vs before 1 HP.

deadheading ANY pump will cause the PSI to go up. Also, PSI makes no difference for a pool. Flow is everything. If the pump curve matches the flow required for the pool, then he's good which is why I said check the curves.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Are you sure you needed the transformer to boost the 110v to 220v? Many pumps have the option to run either by configuring the connections or jumpers at the motor terminal block.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Beeza, left at the current voltage the pump cut out after only a few seconds. Once I connected the transformer it ran for hours. thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.