guapo/guapa

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
GUAPO feminine: GUAPA in the dictionary means good looking but in DR it means angry. (?Est?s guapo conmigo?)

In the DR, guapo and guapa can be either a male or female who is good-looking or angry.

If you are speaking to a female, you would say: "Est?s guapa conmigo?"

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Guapo/a is just another word in Spanish that has a regional meaning in addition to what is considered the standard or generic meaning.

Context will determine what it means but I think with guapo/a it is not always easy. Dolores' example sentence is classic and really regional.

In reference to Chirimoya's post in songs you will hear it often- Soy el guapo del barrio- in the sense of a tough guy.

-MP.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
While in the DR, I always use "lindo" instead of "guapo", just to avoid confusion. Also, the Dominican concept of "ahorita" just makes me laugh. I learned my Spanish from Mexicans, Central Americans, and Venezuelans, and I still have trouble with "ahorita" mean "soon" here in the DR instead of "right now". If I need to make a distinction I say, "Eso es ahorita dominicana o ahorita mejicana."

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
While in the DR, I always use "lindo" instead of "guapo", just to avoid confusion. Also, the Dominican concept of "ahorita" just makes me laugh. I learned my Spanish from Mexicans, Central Americans, and Venezuelans, and I still have trouble with "ahorita" mean "soon" here in the DR instead of "right now". If I need to make a distinction I say, "Eso es ahorita dominicana o ahorita mejicana."

Haha me too!!!! Someone had to instruct me to say "ahora mismo" instead of "ahorita".

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
"Ahorita" is so confusing to me!! When a group says we'll grab drinks at 7, my wife and I are rushing there at 6:45!! Last week, we, luckily, passed by the pool or we wouldn't have seen our "7pm group" still relaxing by the pool.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Before I knew what guapo meant in the DR I told a man he was guapo. He got guapo at me. LOL
It took me forever to learn that I had said to him that he was angry. The things we learn the hard way when not knowing Dominican Spanish.
Then I learned to use the word bonito.
One time I had told a friend that I thought a woman was a beautiful singer and everybody laughed. I am from the Boston area so with my accent I pronounce the word as singah.
It was months later when I learned what singah is. OH MY!

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
When first time vacation in the DR (1994) we went to a finca with some nice girls.
My spanish was zero but had to impress one of the girls so asked: Quieres tomar algo?
The answer was short: "Ahorita".

I never heard of this word so I assumed it had to be some kind of a drink so I started looking with my hands in the dozens of neveritas filled with water, ice and drinks for a bottle or can with the name Ahorita....

After my hands turned blue I decided to ask somebody with more knowledge of Spanish (and the DR) and he explained me, after laughing his a** off, what ahorita means...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A co-worker who lives in the US for years, but is originally from Nicaragua uses ahorita as in 'a while ago'. Now that's confusing when I use it in the sense of: 'in a little bit'.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Before I knew what guapo meant in the DR I told a man he was guapo. He got guapo at me. LOL
It took me forever to learn that I had said to him that he was angry!

LOL! Hadn't he heard the phrase, "You're beautiful when you're mad".

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
In the DR, guapo and guapa can be either a male or female who is good-looking or angry.

If you are speaking to a female, you would say: "Est?s guapa conmigo?"

I hear it all the time from women down here. Its usually followed with some bs questions.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is also a difference between ser guapo/a and estar guapo/a - especially when using the standard meaning of guapo/a.

Eres guapa - you are beautiful (permanent state). It doesn't really make sense when using it in the sense of angry.
Est?s guapa - you are looking good now (temporary state) or you are angry now.