Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry I Got Burgled! Now what? Your thoughts on Dos and Don'ts

So last night they took a motorcycle off my porch. Broke open the gate lock and carried off the bike. I say carried because it was chained. Unfortunately it wasn't chained to anything, just the wheels locked. It wasn't a new bike or particularly valuable (an old Gazelle), but the worst part is it wasn't mine, I was just 'keeping it safe' for a friend.

'Keeping safe' my foot.

Anyway, I've been dealing with the cops and the usual steps and I'm not getting my hopes up, but it did make me think about new material. I'm a blogger who writes/films about life on our fair island (my site is Kiskeya.Life) so I figured I'd write a comprehensive Dos and Don'ts for anyone dealing with this kind of issue after the fact. Maybe eventually I can also do a video about it (here are a few of the other videos I've done).

I've scrounged the Forum a bit and there's lots of 'how to keeps safe' info out there, not so much 'ok, it's happened, now what'. I found a few good points of advice, but I figured I'd open a thread just on that subject to pool the forum's knowledge. If there have been other threads on this already, I apologize, it's a big Forum.

I know what I went through and how I handled it, but I'd like to hear other people's experiences. If you've had a similar case, please let me know in the thread below. I'd particularly appreciate real Dos and Don'ts, especially if you've had bad/good experiences with the police, neighbours, or even the burglars themselves.

I'm particularly focusing on burglary, but I guess straight stick-em-up-robbery should also be mentioned. What steps should be taken? Who should or shouldn't you talk to? Who can or can't help you? Is the new 911 system any good? Do bribes help/make matter worse? The cops have a bad rep, but is it always justified? What if one doesn't speak Spanish? Does appealing to embassies help?

Thank to all for the help and looking forward to reading all the info!

/Alec

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still a card carrying member of the screen writers union so if if I gave you any kind of ideas without a royalty contract it would be wrong. We just cannot give away stuff for free. There's no profit in it

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

After the facts:

I would suggest putting magnetic switches on your doors and gates connected to an alarm panel or even just a beeping alarm, so that when any of them are open there is an alert. You could have the alert on a switch and only turn it on after you retire for the night.

4. Likes AlecCorday, KateP, frank12, Garyexpat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We simply keep our nice things in the states: watches, diamonds, cars (use driver in DR), etc. We don't miss them at all. My fear is never losing expensive items, but rather surprising robber in the act.

6. Likes AlterEgo, AlecCorday, Eleutheria liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    I'm still a card carrying member of the screen writers union so if if I gave you any kind of ideas without a royalty contract it would be wrong. We just cannot give away stuff for free. There's no profit in it

Hehe, no worries. I'll manage. Although I wasn't aware WGA rules extended into blogging and article writing. I thought at the most the MBA covered web shows, and then only if produced by a signatory company. How times have changed.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AlecCorday View Post
    Hehe, no worries. I'll manage. Although I wasn't aware WGA rules extended into blogging and article writing. I thought at the most the MBA covered web shows, and then only if produced by a signatory company. How times have changed.

On topic please.

PM if needed................

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend was approached one fine day in late Nov, early Dec by the local constabulary - asking him if everything was alright.

He shook hands, assured them all was well and sent them on their merry way....
    I asked - WHAT!!!???

No regalo de navidad ??

A few days later all his solar panels and who knows what else disappeared.

One call to the police and all was found - great detective work.

That's when he coughed up the money - way more than he would have paid initially.

Live and learn -- as my 25yr veteran discovered ----
    not 25 yrs old --- years here !!

as a frequent visitor........

just dumb

10. Likes Eleutheria, OkieJoe liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The locking bolt on gates should be designed so that the locks can not be breached with "bolt cutters" or "hammer and chisel".

It would also be good if the gap between the gate and the frame has a welded plate on the outside (The length of the door preferably) to keep the sliding bolt from being cut with a hacksaw.

On my previous suggestion of magnetic switches on the doors and gates, you could also have them turn on security lights at night. The extra light would also be good security when arriving home, it could ward off someone hanging around.
    Last edited by SantiagoDR; 10-28-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    My friend was approached one fine day in late Nov, early Dec by the local constabulary - asking him if everything was alright.

He shook hands, assured them all was well and sent them on their merry way....
    I asked - WHAT!!!???

No regalo de navidad ??

A few days later all his solar panels and who knows what else disappeared.

One call to the police and all was found - great detective work.

That's when he coughed up the money - way more than he would have paid initially.

Live and learn -- as my 25yr veteran discovered ----
    not 25 yrs old --- years here !!

as a frequent visitor........

just dumb
    Oh my goodness. Yeah, I've heard similar stuff. Does make you wonder... Thanks for sharing!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    The locking bolt on gates should be designed so that the locks can not be breached with "bolt cutters" or "hammer and chisel".

It would also be good if the gap between the gate and the frame has a welded plate on the outside (The length of the door preferably) to keep the sliding bolt from being cut with a hacksaw.

On my previous suggestion of magnetic switches on the doors and gates, you could also have them turn on security lights at night. The extra light would also be good security when arriving home, it could ward off someone hanging around.
    Yes, I used the kind of system (the plate so the bolts can't break free) on my house doors. But not on the gate.... :P Got a welder coming in tomorrow to do a better welding job. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast