I Got Burgled! Now what? Your thoughts on Dos and Don'ts

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
So last night they took a motorcycle off my porch. Broke open the gate lock and carried off the bike. I say carried because it was chained. Unfortunately it wasn't chained to anything, just the wheels locked. It wasn't a new bike or particularly valuable (an old Gazelle), but the worst part is it wasn't mine, I was just 'keeping it safe' for a friend.

'Keeping safe' my foot.

Anyway, I've been dealing with the cops and the usual steps and I'm not getting my hopes up, but it did make me think about new material. I'm a blogger who writes/films about life on our fair island (my site is Kiskeya.Life) so I figured I'd write a comprehensive Dos and Don'ts for anyone dealing with this kind of issue after the fact. Maybe eventually I can also do a video about it (here are a few of the other videos I've done).

I've scrounged the Forum a bit and there's lots of 'how to keeps safe' info out there, not so much 'ok, it's happened, now what'. I found a few good points of advice, but I figured I'd open a thread just on that subject to pool the forum's knowledge. If there have been other threads on this already, I apologize, it's a big Forum.

I know what I went through and how I handled it, but I'd like to hear other people's experiences. If you've had a similar case, please let me know in the thread below. I'd particularly appreciate real Dos and Don'ts, especially if you've had bad/good experiences with the police, neighbours, or even the burglars themselves.

I'm particularly focusing on burglary, but I guess straight stick-em-up-robbery should also be mentioned. What steps should be taken? Who should or shouldn't you talk to? Who can or can't help you? Is the new 911 system any good? Do bribes help/make matter worse? The cops have a bad rep, but is it always justified? What if one doesn't speak Spanish? Does appealing to embassies help?

Thank to all for the help and looking forward to reading all the info!

/Alec :cool:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm still a card carrying member of the screen writers union so if if I gave you any kind of ideas without a royalty contract it would be wrong. We just cannot give away stuff for free. There's no profit in it

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
After the facts:

I would suggest putting magnetic switches on your doors and gates connected to an alarm panel or even just a beeping alarm, so that when any of them are open there is an alert. You could have the alert on a switch and only turn it on after you retire for the night.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
We simply keep our nice things in the states: watches, diamonds, cars (use driver in DR), etc. We don't miss them at all. My fear is never losing expensive items, but rather surprising robber in the act.

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
I'm still a card carrying member of the screen writers union so if if I gave you any kind of ideas without a royalty contract it would be wrong. We just cannot give away stuff for free. There's no profit in it

Hehe, no worries. I'll manage. Although I wasn't aware WGA rules extended into blogging and article writing. I thought at the most the MBA covered web shows, and then only if produced by a signatory company. How times have changed.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

Hehe, no worries. I'll manage. Although I wasn't aware WGA rules extended into blogging and article writing. I thought at the most the MBA covered web shows, and then only if produced by a signatory company. How times have changed.

On topic please.

PM if needed................

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend was approached one fine day in late Nov, early Dec by the local constabulary - asking him if everything was alright.

He shook hands, assured them all was well and sent them on their merry way....
I asked - WHAT!!!???

No regalo de navidad ??

A few days later all his solar panels and who knows what else disappeared.

One call to the police and all was found - great detective work.

That's when he coughed up the money - way more than he would have paid initially.

Live and learn -- as my 25yr veteran discovered ----
not 25 yrs old --- years here !!

as a frequent visitor........

just dumb

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The locking bolt on gates should be designed so that the locks can not be breached with "bolt cutters" or "hammer and chisel".

It would also be good if the gap between the gate and the frame has a welded plate on the outside (The length of the door preferably) to keep the sliding bolt from being cut with a hacksaw.

On my previous suggestion of magnetic switches on the doors and gates, you could also have them turn on security lights at night. The extra light would also be good security when arriving home, it could ward off someone hanging around.

Last edited:

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
My friend was approached one fine day in late Nov, early Dec by the local constabulary - asking him if everything was alright.

I asked - WHAT!!!???

No regalo de navidad ??

That's when he coughed up the money - way more than he would have paid initially.

just dumb

Oh my goodness. Yeah, I've heard similar stuff. Does make you wonder... Thanks for sharing!

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
The locking bolt on gates should be designed so that the locks can not be breached with "bolt cutters" or "hammer and chisel".

It would also be good if the gap between the gate and the frame has a welded plate on the outside (The length of the door preferably) to keep the sliding bolt from being cut with a hacksaw.

On my previous suggestion of magnetic switches on the doors and gates, you could also have them turn on security lights at night. The extra light would also be good security when arriving home, it could ward off someone hanging around.

Yes, I used the kind of system (the plate so the bolts can't break free) on my house doors. But not on the gate.... :p Got a welder coming in tomorrow to do a better welding job. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Yes, I used the kind of system (the plate so the bolts can't break free) on my house doors. But not on the gate.... :p Got a welder coming in tomorrow to do a better welding job. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Got robbed of 50 k u.s.
Went to poliece filled all forms the whole day doing that.
Went to police 2 weeks later they knew nothing about my robbery eaven thow i had the report in hand.
They said ckeck back later did many laters then gave up. I got the message don't bother us.
End of story 50k less in paridise.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Xstew
no disrespect , but having $50 around is odd, IMO.

I have handled 100's of thousands in cash in my check cashing... gun , the works.... not a good feeling
somebody always knows you have it.

We picked up $50-100 in emergencies... when Brinks was snowed in.
Eyes in the back of my head for the trip.... and a car following me/

just like the movies.......

Really too bad... I'd shoot myself

I left my 'money bag' in my car last week in NYC....at the car park garage......... DUMB
lost $500US & 5-6,000 pesos
P!ssed me off

Could have been worse, they left my credit cards, passport, everything else
just took the cash.......lucky me.

Still.... dumb

I was in a hurry to meet my daughter arriving for her birthday from the UK.
Feeble excuse..........

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This country has very high crime rates in a lot of areas/ types of crimes.
I suggest to anyone who has a desire to live in a 3rd world country with a high crime rate to bring a little common sense and
a lot of street smarts with them.
Once you are a victim of crime in this country you are completely on your own.
No one is going to help you unless you are part of a Dominican family.
If you live here long enough, you will be a victim of crime.
Comes with the territory.
Nothing you can do about it but suck up and deal with it.

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
This country has very high crime rates in a lot of areas/ types of crimes.
I suggest to anyone who has a desire to live in a 3rd world country with a high crime rate to bring a little common sense and
a lot of street smarts with them.
Once you are a victim of crime in this country you are completely on your own.
No one is going to help you unless you are part of a Dominican family.
If you live here long enough, you will be a victim of crime.
Comes with the territory.
Nothing you can do about it but suck up and deal with it.

Yeah, the dog comes with the fleas. I've been here +22 years and I've seen it all, crime wise. Although I have to admit I've been spared from a lot so far, only minor burglary. But I've seen that a lot of people who really get into nasty stuff carry part of the fault: from not paying attention to rules, being jerks to others and ending up with the wrong crowd.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015

I asked - WHAT!!!???

No regalo de navidad ??

just dumb

Yep. My geriatric Italian Stallion neighbours totally pay off the police and bring them gifts all the time. For which I am eternally grateful.
When they get into disputes with their Dominican prosti - ooops I mean wives then they bring the police back to intimidate, frighten and evict the good ladies.
It makes for good entertainment, since I lack any semblance of a "life" here, and it sure shows those ladies who's the boss! (that was meant sarcastically).
#anotherdayinparadise #fadedglory
#dyedhairandtightpantsdoesn'tmakeyoulookyounger

Last edited:

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, the dog comes with the fleas. I've been here +22 years and I've seen it all, crime wise. Although I have to admit I've been spared from a lot so far, only minor burglary. But I've seen that a lot of people who really get into nasty stuff carry part of the fault: from not paying attention to rules, being jerks to others and ending up with the wrong crowd.

I agree.. I absolutely don't think it is the case for everyone. However, a lot of the crimes I have heard of are in relationship to people getting involved with the wrong crowd (and not realizing it but often quite obvious to others!) and making silly decisions or mistakes. And I will be the first to admit that even my one small incident of the construction workers taking jewelry from my house when working on it could have easily been prevented if I had a) just removed valuables while they were working and b) if I had not trusted DR1 to hook me up with a contractor who didn't really give a crap about the job and who he sent here to work on my house. Learned my lesson and have a great, trustworthy guy do all my construction work now and have no complaints since.

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
Yep. My geriatric Italian Stallion neighbours totally pay off the police and bring them gifts all the time. For which I am eternally grateful.
When they get into disputes with their Dominican prosti - ooops I mean wives then they bring the police back to intimidate, frighten and evict the good ladies.
It makes for good entertainment, since I lack any semblance of a "life" here, and it sure shows those ladies who's the boss! (that was meant sarcastically).
#anotherdayinparadise #fadedglory
#dyedhairandtightpantsdoesn'tmakeyoulookyounger

Wow. That kind of answers my question as to whether bribes work. But now that I think about it, yeah, I got Dominican neighbours who do that, folks with money. Cops swing by their street 3 time per night and briefly tap their horn to let everyone know, they're there. Didn't help me, though...

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Got robbed of 50 k u.s.
Went to poliece filled all forms the whole day doing that.
Went to police 2 weeks later they knew nothing about my robbery eaven thow i had the report in hand.
They said ckeck back later did many laters then gave up. I got the message don't bother us.
End of story 50k less in paridise.

Hmm that does seem like a crazy amount of cash to have in your house?!

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
yeah ... i cant think of any legal situation where you would have 50 k cash at your house for more than a few minutes on the way to the bank.

makes you wonder...

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Wow. That kind of answers my question as to whether bribes work. But now that I think about it, yeah, I got Dominican neighbours who do that, folks with money. Cops swing by their street 3 time per night and briefly tap their horn to let everyone know, they're there. Didn't help me, though...

Well get busy boy!!!!! That rum isn't going to buy itself!!!! Those folded bills aren't going to get slid across the desk by themselves!!! Do you speak Spanish????? Throw in few innuendos about the neighbourhood being full of delinquentes and how you appreciate the good job they are doing, and how Christmas is coming.
Don't be too subtle though, remember that you are dealing with the mentally challenged.

OH HOW I MISS BOB SAUNDERS, HE WOULD NORMALLY CHIME IN HERE ABOUT HIS WIFE'S ROCKET SCIENTIST NEPHEW AND HOW THE POLICE IN JARABACOA HELPED ORGANIZE A NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH PROGRAM AND HANDED OUT FREE ARMBANDS.

#bringbobback