Spring Break in DR

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
This morning our daughter told us she is planning her spring break trip with three of her girlfriends. She asked if I knew what would be the best place to go in the DR. Does anyone have ideas for her? The trip will be one week in March.

Apr 13, 2011
Tell her to go go to an All Inclusive Hotel in Punta Cana. Someplace like the Hard Rock Punta Cana or one of the RUIs or similar. Then they can enjoy the week, not have to carry money around with them and they will be pretty safe no matter how much they party at the AI hotel.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Tell her to go go to an All Inclusive Hotel in Punta Cana. Someplace like the Hard Rock Punta Cana or one of the RUIs or similar. Then they can enjoy the week, not have to carry money around with them and they will be pretty safe no matter how much they party at the AI hotel.

Yes, that would be easier for her. I figured an AI would be best. I was just wondering which would be most fun for her age group?

Apr 13, 2011
Yes, that would be easier for her. I figured an AI would be best. I was just wondering which would be most fun for her age group?

Probably Hard Rock Punta Cana... It has many pools, a good beach, and a club on site... plus it would have obvious, popular "name recognition" for her and her friends when they talk about their Spring Break adventure...
If price is a concern, just do a search on expedia for All Inclusive Punta Cana, so you can compare....

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Probably Hard Rock Punta Cana... It has many pools, a good beach, and a club on site... plus it would have obvious, popular "name recognition" for her and her friends when they talk about their Spring Break adventure...
If price is a concern, just do a search on expedia for All Inclusive Punta Cana, so you can compare....

Thanks, MJ! Hard Rock is one of the few in which we've stayed. The club and the size should keep them occupied for the week. I also agree on the name recognition. My wife and I have stayed there for weddings and she will like to see it for herself.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I agree with the AI option. Cabarete is fun but then there are other things to worry about. With AIs everything is just there for them, they can relax, not worry about money onsite, drink and eat all they want... perfect at that age! I have only been to AIs on the North Coast and while I have a few I really enjoy, I like them for being family friendly and quiet rather than spring break party locations! ;) I really like MJSD's idea of the Hard Rock in Punta Cana. If that is in the budget, I think that is your best bet and I am sure they will have an absolute blast!!

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
have 21 year olds changed that much? unless there is a tour group on site that week they will be surrounded by 40 year old couples and be bored to death after two days. when we left the hard rock it was like a noose was taken off my neck as we headed to the bus station to get back to santo domingo. id advise them to stay in a 30 or 40 dollar hotel on the north coast and do adventures every other day like the catamaran, 27 waterfalls, zip lining, outback safara, and playa grande. this is their chance to have an adventure with a fluent spanish speaker who knows the country, please dont advise them to go to an AI. i know safety is always an issue and it would be very comforting to know your daughter is safely in the resort, but if you want her to have the kinda trip that will create memories for a lifetime, give her some freedom to explore this great country. anyways, good luck to you and your daughter

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
have 21 year olds changed that much? unless there is a tour group on site that week they will be surrounded by 40 year old couples and be bored to death after two days. when we left the hard rock it was like a noose was taken off my neck as we headed to the bus station to get back to santo domingo. id advise them to stay in a 30 or 40 dollar hotel on the north coast and do adventures every other day like the catamaran, 27 waterfalls, zip lining, outback safara, and playa grande. this is their chance to have an adventure with a fluent spanish speaker who knows the country, please dont advise them to go to an AI. i know safety is always an issue and it would be very comforting to know your daughter is safely in the resort, but if you want her to have the kinda trip that will create memories for a lifetime, give her some freedom to explore this great country. anyways, good luck to you and your daughter

I agree with you. Spring Break. Not really AI time. It's why I suggested Cabarete.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I agree with you. Spring Break. Not really AI time. It's why I suggested Cabarete.

Understand the thinking, however it is not unreasonable to suggest that the Cabarete of 5 plus years ago is not the Cabarete of today and sadly Sosua's sex tourism has seeped across there.

Would you really want them in or close to that environment?

Try Las Terrenas if PC is not ideal.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008

That does sound fun as well. I guess it really depends on what they are looking for. Maybe they do just want a week to relax and be in one place drinking cocktails and lounging by the pool for a week... or maybe they want to be on the move, on a different adventure each day, up every morning ready to head on a gua gua to another place, keeping active. I know both types of 20yos and had times of wanting to be both types at that age. It really just depends on the type of trip they want this particular trip to be.

I am in charge of roughly 30 volunteers aged 18 to 25 that my organization hosts from USA/Canada/UK/etc. each year so I deal with a lot of them (and was one myself (23) when I moved to the DR) and while they stay with host families for 99% of the time here, they usually spend their free time on the type of adventures Mu?ecote mentioned because they just have weekends off so usually just do a day trip here and there, but from time to time they like to do a weekend away at an AI resort to just relax and feel spoiled... and they always love doing that too!! So again, I think both options, whilst very different, can be a blast for a few 20 year old girls!

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015

Mune, that is an excellent point and she is very independent. This weekend she and four friends are in New Orleans for Halloween. My own spring breaks were certainly not at an enclosed, posh resort or, at least that's what it said on the police reports, I don't remember. It's her trip and her money. I appreciate all the ideas and advice but will tell her that even though it is our town,"I have no idea, plan it like you usually do". Thank you all.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If she can't get into Hard Rock the following cater to her age group as well. Iberostate, Barcelo (the really big one), Chic, Breathless, and the old standy by Occidental with the Mangu night club.
I agree with the other posters that an AI would probably suit her needs the best.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I will suggest those melphis. Plus, she knows the neighborhood and can go to some other places during her week. She loves Mangu! Thanks.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
(AE, noted and much appreciated!!)

Terrific ideas from many people and also some things I hadn't thought about. Thanks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Understand the thinking, however it is not unreasonable to suggest that the Cabarete of 5 plus years ago is not the Cabarete of today and sadly Sosua's sex tourism has seeped across there.

Would you really want them in or close to that environment?

Try Las Terrenas if PC is not ideal.

there are just as many hos in LT and PC as there are in Cabarete.