dominicanas spend 12% of their income in salons

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
the salon was always full when i looked out the window but i guess that was something fun to do being that its the cheapest thing to do

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mre15e.jpg

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i go to hang...try and get dates introductions and meet hotties... also a freelunch if im there at 1135am or there about...free coffee in the am and i just enjoy being around the money makers

May 29, 2006
Check out Good Hair. African American women spend more on hair products and salons than the rest of the US combined. In the DR, good looks is the easiest path to social mobility.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hair care is cheap in the DR. In the US a black girl who takes care of her hair can easily spend 2 to 4 hundred USD. You born with bad hair its the reality. Agree with PIB. A girl has gotta keep her hair and her priorities straight. Nothing finer that a Dominicana fresh out of the salon.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
12 % at salon, 20 % shoes cloths and those super tight bra's, 10 % on cell phone, 10 % in ice cream, no wonder they have to ask for pesos so often for their "sick mother"

May 29, 2006
All the more reason I'm looking into importing hair care and other beauty products(and supertight bras)... Amazing the deals you can get on sales and anything is better than the cheap dollar store quality usually available.

May 29, 2006
Hair care is cheap in the DR. In the US a black girl who takes care of her hair can easily spend 2 to 4 hundred USD. You born with bad hair its the reality. Agree with PIB. A girl has gotta keep her hair and her priorities straight. Nothing finer that a Dominicana fresh out of the salon.

I met my GF for the first time last August. The second day she asks for 500 pesos to go get her hair done, and I know enough to simply give it to her without batting an eye. She shows up a couple hours later dressed to the nines, happy as can be, and very grateful.

If you date a girl who makes a tenth(or less) of what you make and has kids to support, moaning about paying to have her look nice for you is shooting yourself in the foot. Also, keep in mind a salon visit usually means two hours of gossiping with her friends and even a couple drinks. It's money well spent if it makes her happy and she shows her *appreciation*.

Some of the ex-pats could do with a little more work on looking good for their novias. Plenty of gyms around..

KITTU

May 13, 2015
so next time you hear that they have no money for leche look at their nails and hair, that's where it went:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2015/10/29/mujer-dominicana-invierte-12-sueldo-belleza
Similar thing happened to me when i was in La Sirena Higuey, a woman was asking me some money for buying a school bag to her kid, i was about to give her money but my wife stopped me from doing so! She told me that her nails and hair are perfectly done. She told the woman to stop begging money from people and be better for her kid if she spends her money on her child rather than in beauty saloon. The woman was so ****ed off with my wife.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I doubt the 12% is too far the mark in many other countries.

IMO, demographics agree with the comments above.
Black women spend an inordinate amount on their hair..... many whites (and other colors) as well.

Hair care, esthetics, can be be costly....
But oftentimes that's where the both the first and last dollar goes.

I bet 12% isn't out of the galaxy for many

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Black women spend an inordinate amount on their hair..... many whites (and other colors) as well.

That is where the comparison ends, and yes I do spend money. My daughter is costing me a fortune, no in salon, in all bs natural/organis products. But again, barbershop every two weeks for my son is not much cheaper.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

my ex wife used to get her hair done by some stylist in Midtown Manhattan. it would be like 100 dollars for some simple stuff. one day i asked the stylist how come it cost so much. she let me know that her scissors alone cost 250.00.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a house full of women , 'Frica....
hair, nails, etc is a big deal.... not the 'be all, end all' in our family... but up on the scale.

Whenever one is looking to balance the budget, it's the most obvious place to start (do your own, etc)
But hard to sway them to the change............

Not just $$$ are involved.... emotion, self esteem....

muy complicado