Expats - Dance Bachata?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How many of the expats have learned to dance bachata and/or merengue.

The have fun with the ladies it is almost mandatory to at least learn the basics. You don't have to be good cause the women seem pleased at least you are trying.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I can dance bachata, merengue and salsa, at a fairly good level - now you find one descend girl in Sosua who is interested in dancing with a grino !?

Those days are long gone, Rumba and Classico now mainly play R&B, Hip Hop and Rap music, and besides girls give about 5 minutes to do a deal with you or else they move on to the next guy.

Well, I am sure it's a lot better in other places in DR...

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
How many of the expats have learned to dance bachata and/or merengue.

The have fun with the ladies it is almost mandatory to at least learn the basics. You don't have to be good cause the women seem pleased at least you are trying.

Ohhhh yes definitely…. I already knew how to dance merengue, but learned to dance bachata here. I have seen some amaaaaazing bachata dancers here.
Dominicans are not salseros, unfortunately, so I haven't been able to dance too much salsa here, but merengue and bachata, is, por favor!!!!!

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
My wife and I love ballroom dancing and enjoy meringue very much. As far as bachata, I have the basic moves, but remain Gringo-esque.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I am a big fan of Bachata. Nothing better than a night away from tourist areas at a Rancho Tipico bailando Barchata.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
If the Japanese can dance Bachata, so can we:

[video=youtube;VbNGJAoQPSo]x[/video]

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That's what I call ballroom bachata !

I think the woman is from the Netherlands too.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, but the level of emotion is those two steps is what makes it authentically Dominican and memorable.

Of course, it goes without saying 4-to-the-cube as with any dance !! But, the basic steps are simple, I picked up bachata, merengue by watching. I couldn't do so with Salsa, nor Samba :smoke:

I want to be a Samba dancer when I grow up :bandit:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
My wife and I love ballroom dancing and enjoy meringue very much. As far as bachata, I have the basic moves, but remain Gringo-esque.

The Hip movement ( and therefore the beat step, thats what I call it anyway) comes from the opposite leg than you may be thinking, once you figure out that part, the rest falls right into place.. the steps are easy,..
Making it look good though is a totally different story.
But no matter how you do it, Bachata is a LOT of fun.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It not like dancing bachata is rocket science: 2 steps to right, 2 steps to left

Actually bachata is 3 steps tap to the right. 3 steps tap to the left.
I love dancing bachata and merengue with a good Dominican dancer of course. I danced every night when I lived there. Sometimes danced a lot during the day too.
Both were easy to learn for me.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Actually bachata is 3 steps tap to the right. 3 steps tap to the left.
I love dancing bachata and merengue with a good Dominican dancer of course. I danced every night when I lived there. Sometimes danced a lot during the day too.
Both were easy to learn for me.

You may be right...I am not good at counting while I am dancing but it feels like two steps to me (I don't do the tap neither, I use my hips). In fact, some times I don't even do these sides steps and follow the music. I dance in DR and NYC Dominican clubs and was never told something was wrong.

My fave is Merengue tipico anyway !!!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You may be right...I am not good at counting while I am dancing but it feels like two steps to me (I don't do the tap neither, I use my hips). In fact, some times I don't even do these sides steps and follow the music. I dance in DR and NYC Dominican clubs and was never told something was wrong.

My fave is Merengue tipico anyway !!!
I use my hips too. Sometimes do the tap, Sometimes do the foot lifted backwards.
Merengue is easier to learn. One step right.... one one step left. Step in. Step out. Twirl. Love it.