One of the most difficult undertakings ever!

heisy

Jun 8, 2015
After being more than a decade in this country and never having to worry much of any immigration status here, has my Mother in law been pushing me to subscribe in the PLAN NACIONAL DE REGULARIZACION DE EXTRANJEROS. My embassy actually recommended the same thing.
The inscription was the hardest part: We took a total of 3 runs at it?..spending three nights on the sidewalk because you have to get in line at 8pm the night before for the next day?s line??Total, beyond description chaos, to the nature that I have never seen before??and that counts for the outside as well as inside of the MINISTERIO DE INTERIOR Y POLICIA. Worst ones were of course the low life cops in the grey pajamas, chasing Haitian skirts and trying to squeeze a Dollar out of everyone possible with the promise of moving them ahead in line.
However, after 3 runs at it, the help of my mother in law and the passing out of a few 100Peso bills we made it??.I finally got a document that had my picture on it and an ID number?.I was advised that I will be called when the final doc will be ready. This was after having spent 22hrs. in line under circumstances that are hard to imagine for anyone ??
Throughout the entire process I have seen many white folks arriving with their documents clutched under their arm and just leaving immediately after absorbing the scene on hand, just shaking their heads??.I saw the riot police in full gear carrying weapons I only saw in sci-fi movies before??..I saw folks just trying to jump over/through a line of cops, just to get into the building to inscribe??.I myself was completely burned, because for many hours we were placed in line on the buildings terrace where there was no hiding from the sun?..But, we made it, we inscribed!
Now, three months have passed and we did not hear anything at all. On their web site it always gave me the same message that my file is in process.
By coincidence my mother in law met the lady that handled my file in a bus and she said, to just come and check at the Ministerio and not to wait for a call as instructed. This lady was extremely nice and courteous as were many of the staff (except the grey pajama wearing cops?they were all bad!) ?..I remember the photographer actually had maintained a sense of humor.
Now I have a Visa in my Passport, valid for 24 months. When receiving my Visa, I could not ask any questions; I was referred to a phone number that I tried many times in the past, without success.
The Visa states REGULARIZACION MIGRATORIA and below it says NO RESIDENTE.

My question is, what does this Visa entitle me to?
I assume I am allowed to seek employment here, correct?
Do I still have to pay the Tourist visa over stay fee when leaving?
Can I obtain a NO VOTE CEDULAR?
Can I obtain a drivers license?
What will occur after the 2 year term is up? Will I need to renew the Visa or will I be able to obtain residency?
Will I be able to build up credit under the current status? Possibly obtaining a Credit Card?

Any factual answers will be highly appreciated?.My attorney says he does not know much about the process, because it is still all so new?..

Thank you very much in advance.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I went through a similar process and, like you, now have the Regularizacion visa in my passport. It seems to me pretty useless and as a result I am now in the process of completing the regular Residencia process. In answer to your questions, hardly anyone seems to have definitive answers. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that you CAN'T get a DR driving licence, but you can drive for two months from the visa's issue with a foreign licence. This has been confirmed to me by the Ministry of Transport (whatever they are called).

The Regularizacion visa is useful if you are a Haitian who risked deportation before, but even these people don't know what will happen after two years.

Feb 7, 2007
You cannot
- get cedula
- drivers license

You can
- start residency process within the DR without going back to your home country
- be left alone and not fear deportation for 2 years

Maybe you
- can work (I don't know that)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
You cannot
- get cedula
- drivers license

You can
- start residency process within the DR without going back to your home country
- be left alone and not fear deportation for 2 years

Maybe you
- can work (I don't know that)

and that regularization thingy can not be extended/renewed after 2 years.
within those 2 years you have to apply for residency(which brings you the asked for non vota cedula) or citizenship or a work visa or pensioners residency and alikes.
otherwise after 2 years you would have to leave,
or stay the same illegal way as you did the last decade.
if you leave the country,
there are no oerstay fees or such.
the Plan de Regularisacion been a Pardon for illegal overstayers,
your Immigrations Status is clear now for 2 years.
no overstay fees.
i would also "guess"(but this point i don't know) that you do not have to pay the 10 bucks tourist card on reentry.

Mike

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Our son has the permit in his passport. The lawyer he is using said they are waiting for the "protocol" to be issued. The implication being they can do nothing until it is, i.e. they cannot start the process as though they had the visa from their own country. She seems to think the non-Haitian gringos won't have too many problems but she wonders how the Haitians will ever qualify. In view of the international outcry maybe the "protocol" will make this clear.
The other worrying fact is that those who got the first "approval" are already six months into their time and for foreigners without a passport that time is only one year.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
She seems to think the non-Haitian gringos won't have too many problems but she wonders how the Haitians will ever qualify.

Very few Haitians will qualify. Neither will some from other countries.

I have no idea what protocol the lawyer says is coming. Just apply for residency if you qualify if that is your intention.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The other worrying fact is that those who got the first "approval" are already six months into their time and for foreigners without a passport that time is only one year.

Do not wait. Get the documents together and instruct you lawyer to submit the application to Migracion. What one needs before the residency card expires is a certificate of deposit from Migracion. If you wait for the Govt or a lawyer to get around to doing something you may well be screwed and run out of time.

It is alright to instruct your lawyer to do what you tell them after listening to their advice and making up your own mind on how best to proceed.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I admire your fortitude

Thank you very much for the very helpful responses.

Good on you. I have been told that in a few months they will be processing many to full cedula.

Pm me for details

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
crazy i wonder who actualy thinks up these hoops people have to jump thru

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my understanding is that with this migration card/stamp one now needs to complete residency process, kinda based on old rules. that is one does it entirely in DR, without having to go through the residency visa. the catch is that one needs to qualify and pay for the fee the residency.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
my understanding is that with this migration card/stamp one now needs to complete residency process, kinda based on old rules. that is one does it entirely in DR, without having to go through the residency visa. the catch is that one needs to qualify and pay for the fee the residency.

thats also my understanding,
even that things can always come out different here at the end, surprisingly, lol.
of course people need to qualify and pay their fees, a Pardon for illegals does not oblige to give 'em some more freebies on top of the Free cleared Immigrations Status.
my buddy is still waiting to ride to santo domingo to get his residency and cedula cards at hand.
the Regularization Process and following residency application, without a valid passport and 20 overstayed years on the belt,
been not a cheapy. it costs some K's US$$$ to get stuff done.
yes, there been requirements in case of finances etc etc to be met.
if a subscriber to the Plan is not willing/not able to fork over the money for residency, then don't plan on such.
then just use the given time to Plan your move back home wisely.

Mike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Correct. The main advantage of having the regularization sticker is that you can do it all here in the DR without need to return to your home country. All the other qualifications still apply to become a resident. (Which is why most Haitians will not qualify and be illegal after the stickers expire).

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
When I was at the immigration office a few months ago, I was told that new regulations were going to be released on the rules for having the non-resident visa and the process of obtaining residency. Now these new regulations could have been a hoax, failed in being approved in government or are forthcoming still. I don't see how one can possibly be giving advice to people about residency when when one is not involved in the process themselves, talked to a lawyer or is not in the government. I can see opinions given, but people are talking like the "know".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am speaking about how things are right now. There is no reason for the DR government to change the rules, but of course they can.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
When I was at the immigration office a few months ago, I was told that new regulations were going to be released on the rules for having the non-resident visa and the process of obtaining residency. Now these new regulations could have been a hoax, failed in being approved in government or are forthcoming still. I don't see how one can possibly be giving advice to people about residency when when one is not involved in the process themselves, talked to a lawyer or is not in the government. I can see opinions given, but people are talking like the "know".
This is how it is on DR1...... one rule did change you now get 90 on a tourist card. You do still have to get the $10 card when you come back in my
friend did it fryday.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
This is how it is on DR1...... one rule did change you now get 90 on a tourist card. You do still have to get the $10 card when you come back in my
friend did it fryday.

Cheffie.
for most countries it is 60 days on the tourist card, like for you americans for example.
some countries(for example Germany) are allowed 90 days per 10 bucks ticket.
about the $10.- tourist card for people in the Plan, we get different experiences.
some reported they did not have to pay and others had to pay(or just paid without "asking".
maybe it's just typical DR, one side doesn't know what the other side decided, lol.
my buddy, i wrote about, is still waiting to get his residency in StDgo, after subscribing to the Plan without a valid passport.
the inclusion of the residency application in the Plan process, with a Lawyer, was a costly thingy,
i hope that shyt doesn't fail on him.
good luck for you and your Fren.

Mike