We are interested in hiring 3 drivers with suburbans to drive for our group:

2 suburban & drivers for 7 days for December 26th through January 2nd

1 suburban & driver for 10 days for December 26th through January 5th

Serious responses only at rachelsmith2700 at yahoo.com

Thank you,

Liz

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I am in Cabrera and could possibly help with the search, but like the others said, would need more information. I don't know of any suburbans, but if you are open to the option of taxi vans and with drivers (comfortable, clean, A/C), I could certainly help with that. Since they live here in Cabrera they could be on-call for when your group needs to go somewhere or scheduled for full days during that time, or whatever best suits. Suburbans - I unfortunately can't help with.

lizkreusch

Oct 31, 2015
Hi TravelHippo,

Yes we would be open to vans but not taxis. We would need them for at least 10-12 hours. They would be providing airport pickups and excursions at our guests needs which could be different from a day to day basis.

Thank you.

lizkreusch

Oct 31, 2015
1. Any large SUV will do.

2. Primarily the initial pick up at the airport will be a little inconsistent

3. The other days would be 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. Driver's will have time to take breaks. 12 hr days are not going to be all driving.

4. We will not be providing sleeping or eating arrangements.

5. Yes, the estate has cleaning and washing facility for vehicles but it should be unnecessary.

6. Yes, non-Suburban large SUV will do.

7. Yes, the driver needs to be able to speak some english.

8. We prefer private drivers so that our guests can take excursions whenever, wherever they choose whether in large or small groups.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I am in Cabrera and could possibly help with the search, but like the others said, would need more information. I don't know of any suburbans, but if you are open to the option of taxi vans and with drivers (comfortable, clean, A/C), I could certainly help with that. Since they live here in Cabrera they could be on-call for when your group needs to go somewhere or scheduled for full days during that time, or whatever best suits. Suburbans - I unfortunately can't help with.

TravelHippo, is this something you do normally? For example, if we were going to spend five days in Cabarete and needed a driver from the East Coast, 5 days visiting and return trip, can you provide that?

lizkreusch

Oct 31, 2015
NO we are not a tourist operation. We are group of friends on vacation together renting a private home and just want our own drivers available to us.

lizkreusch

Oct 31, 2015
For further clarification for everyone who seems easily offended by a simple request...

1. We are NOT a tourist operation. We are just a group of friends renting homes and vacationing together.

2. I have learned that 'excursion' is apparently the wrong word to use (because somehow that magically gets us flagged as 'tourist operation'. We want private drivers should we or our friends choose to go explore the city, snorkel, or just stay on the rental property.

Apparently getting SUV drivers in Manzanillo is easier without offending everyone than in the DR.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Lizkreusch - Hmmm I will have a think, but the vans I was thinking of our taxis. Is there a reason you don't want them to be taxis if the cost is the same as renting a private van with driver?

4*4*4* - No no, not something I do normally. I just happen to live in Cabrera which is a small town so I know a lot of people here and might be able to help via connections in the town. I host about 30 volunteers with my non-profit each year so I use taxi vans a lot to get them around, but doesn't sound like the OP is looking for taxi vans.

...And outside of Cabrera, I'm useless, sorry! ;)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Liz, some friendly advice.. You need to get your head around how tourist transport services work here.

It's pretty evident you want to go the "Executive Luxury Route" with those big SUV's with leather seats, tinted windows, and ice cold A/C.

I may be wrong, but as others have said, you're not going to find many of those on the North Coast. (There are Executive services out of Santo Domingo, but those cost an arm and a leg)

I'd be willing to venture your only option is going to be to use Taxi vans that belong to the airport or Cabrera taxi unions.

I'm not saying it will happen for sure, but there is a good chance that if you don't use a company that belongs to a union somewhere, the local guys are not going to appreciate it.

I had a 15 passenger van with an English speaking driver a few years back, and he was "sniffed out" within 2 days while driving in Cabrera. (He was doing pickups at the airport for Orchid Bay at the Puerto Plata airport) Cabrera is a VERY small town.

They were nice enough to warn him off, and told him if he was seen again transporting folks, it could lead to problems.

Setting up transport services like you're looking to find is a lot different than the way they do it in Ohio.

You'd be well advised to have somebody help you out who knows how things work here in the country.
why is all here concerned with prices for a group on vacation...man they dont live here on a fixed income...they want /need to rent large cars/vans ..man the owners know how to charge the peeps have cc;s and cash has no one here gone on vavation and rented a car...

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Liz, some friendly advice.. You need to get your head around how tourist transport services work here.

It's pretty evident you want to go the "Executive Luxury Route" with those big SUV's with leather seats, tinted windows, and ice cold A/C.

I may be wrong, but as others have said, you're not going to find many of those on the North Coast. (There are Executive services out of Santo Domingo, but those cost an arm and a leg)

I'd be willing to venture your only option is going to be to use Taxi vans that belong to the airport or Cabrera taxi unions.

I'm not saying it will happen for sure, but there is a good chance that if you don't use a company that belongs to a union somewhere, the local guys are not going to appreciate it.

I had a 15 passenger van with an English speaking driver a few years back, and he was "sniffed out" within 2 days while driving in Cabrera. (He was doing pickups at the airport for Orchid Bay at the Puerto Plata airport) Cabrera is a VERY small town.

They were nice enough to warn him off, and told him if he was seen again transporting folks, it could lead to problems.

Setting up transport services like you're looking to find is a lot different than the way they do it in Ohio.

You'd be well advised to have somebody help you out who knows how things work here in the country.

I knew him well.....(Your driver)...he took me on a few trips around the Island....

Great guy.......

Hope he is good......

Tell him Mike from Boston said hi....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
another point,

the English speaking part may be problematic....
he may understand some English, but may not speak it.

That's where a liaison might be handy.

I cannot emphasize the 'smallness' of Cabrera enough.

We have had some very high profile guests recently - who wanted a low profile, and got it.

Except for one photo of a fellow swinging on a rope into a lagoon.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Fancy Pants over in Orchid Bay must have access to armored black jeepeta's for the $5,000 / night rate, no?

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
As WW said, English speaking won't be easy to find either... but if you want, I can at least get you the rate today for taxi vans with drivers for the dates and hours you need. The drivers are friendly, know the area perfectly and can at least understand and speak a little English.

Unless there is a reason taxi vans won't work for your groups.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I have been to talk to them, THippo.

They'll get back to me.

where is your school?

Oh perfect.. hopefully the OP is open to the idea of taxis. Any other option seems like it would be tricky.. whereas the taxi van option seems like a fine one to me.

We are at the end of calle 16 de agosto in town, at the 'el puerto' end. When you take that first entrance into town on the left past the port, we are just a few houses down, dirt road on the left. It says Sea Dog Drive on the unofficial street sign and there is also a wooden sign with 'The Esperanza Project'.. I think there is a Camp Esperanza sign still up from summer as well. We are just down that dirt road.