Las Americas Security

OK Roper

Nov 1, 2015
I read a while ago that all the x-ray machines at Las Americas (Santo Domingo) were broken and that as a result the queues through security were "extra long". I'm flying out on Tuesday and wondering if anyone knows if the situation has improved? Thanks!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I read a while ago that all the x-ray machines at Las Americas (Santo Domingo) were broken and that as a result the queues through security were "extra long". I'm flying out on Tuesday and wondering if anyone knows if the situation has improved? Thanks!

It was the X Ray machines on arrival.......and they have been replaced with new and are working.

Departure is straight forward, and if anything a wee bit of queuing (couple of minutes at max) to get to get to the Immigration desk.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
It was the X Ray machines on arrival.......and they have been replaced with new and are working.

Departure is straight forward, and if anything a wee bit of queuing (couple of minutes at max) to get to get to the Immigration desk.
I flew out of Las Americas last month and discovered whilst waiting to board at the gate, that I had forgotten to take two box cutters out of my carry-on.....not wishing to get caught with them at my connection in Madrid, I lost them as rapidly as I could. A colleague told me that the X-ray at Las Americas failed to discover a Swiss Army knife in his carry-on a couple of weeks ago,

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I flew out of Las Americas last month and discovered whilst waiting to board at the gate, that I had forgotten to take two box cutters out of my carry-on.....not wishing to get caught with them at my connection in Madrid, I lost them as rapidly as I could. A colleague told me that the X-ray at Las Americas failed to discover a Swiss Army knife in his carry-on a couple of weeks ago,

It is not the X ray machines it is the agents. I took a total of 12 flights last week between islands leaving SDQ with hand baggage only. By mistake I had not removed a small pair of scissors from my toiletry bag......and I was unaware.

It took until my 5th flight before it was noticed...and it was within the size allowed. It got picked up on one more flight only.

Two out of 12....shows how thorough they are......it's a 'hail mary' flying the Caribbean...lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
slightly off the DR topic but on point about security -

I once flew PHL to Orlando with friends....
On the return, Orlando pulled my friend over for a shotgun shell in his shooting jacket.
He had on the way down - PHL missed it.

Spent, luckily for him, but a shell nonetheless

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

According to today's DR1 news, leave an extra hour early.

More time needed to clear migration at SDQ

One would conclude from reading an article in Diario Libre today on the implementation of the biometric authentication system that extra time needs to be set aside for clearing Migration at Las Americas International Airport. If departing from that airport, that primarily serves Greater Santo Domingo, schedule another hour to get to the departure gates hall.

Diario Libre reports that the system that requires eye scanning and fingerprint clearance has been known to cause one hour delays because at times there are not enough inspectors or the inspectors are slow in using the new system. The system seeks to catch forged documentation in people leaving the country. It also detects foreigners that have overstayed their time in the country, sending these to queues to pay the penalties. The problem gets worse at peak flight times.

Read more in Spanish: http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/sucesos/chequeo-migracion-crea-retraso-en-aila-XC1756264

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
According to today's DR1 news, leave an extra hour early.

I read the article and I did wonder if the writer had passed through the airport of recent.

The writer confuses arrival and departure perhaps..........some arrivals do get fingerprinted and photo shot on arrival. No such thing happens on departure.

Having departed and returned 3 times in the last 3 weeks, with departures mid morning to late afternoon, my observation with a number of flights being handled at those times that the departure was very quick indeed.......no queuing in security and a short queue for immigration of no more than dozen people being served by at least 4 officers per queue. Ten minutes from entering security to heading off to gate if that as a maximum at a relatively busy period.

It has been quick to depart is my firm conclusion......and unless you enjoy sitting for an extra hour in the departure halls this does not seem sound advice.

Arrival has been slightly slower if you choose the residents queue where some get fingerprinted.........those with residency head to visitors queue whilst they are queuing to get their tourist cards.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think I'll go with our Frequent flier friend (FFF), ju10 over the news report.

Nothing beats a recent experience..........

Too many chirps from the cheap seats drown out the guy who does it every week.
Just saying

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I think I'll go with our Frequent flier friend (FFF), ju10 over the news report.

Nothing beats a recent experience..........

Too many chirps from the cheap seats drown out the guy who does it every week.
Just saying

Better have other recent experiences....I had another 3 flights early autumn and again they were quick exits and even quick entries but these were early morning and mid afternoon.

In fact I have been cutting down my arrival time at the airport to one and a half hours because of checking in on line and printing my ticket the day before.....and I still sit in the lounge for too long.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/...datos-biometricos-retrase-chequeo-migratorio/

DGM have seen it necessary to rebut what was suggested in yesterdays Diario Libre article.

I concur with their statements from experience which relate to arrivals. There is no issue with departures which is smooth albeit allow time to pay your exit fee.

The DGM article confirms the capturing of biometric data will be extended to all airports.