Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Things are different here, she says...

So, I know we're all sick of complaining about Dominicans and the Dominican way, but here is another. Take it as a cultural observation more than a complaint.

My nanny, she's a good one. The fourth, in two years. But, she cleans well, the kids like her, and she can cook. The icing on the cake was the day she made me a drink, unsolicited, while I was yelling at someone of the phone. Nanny +1.

Anywho, she is starting law school in Janurary. She asks me how much a computer would cost and if I can bring her one from the EE.UU, because she will need one for school. I say "US$2-300 for a basic 'go to school' model" If I can get her one, she'll pay it back a little at a time.

Here is where is starts to go down hill... I say, "your Christmas payment is 'X' dolares, and I will be paying you 'y' dolares for working extra hours while my family is here in Noviembre. "X + Y, equals exactly 'this much'", which is just enough to get you a computer for school. Which me familia can bring from Walleymart when they come in a two weeks!

I thought we had this in the bag. I bought her a cheap computer, sin payment for navidad y extra horas en Noviember.

WELLLLLL! Noticing how much money I 'owe her', she tells me that she might want a phone instead. I say "but, you nee a computer for school, right?" my answer was "Things are different here, different from the Estados Unidos"

She started needing a computer, then wanted some swag.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

She is going to get a hold of her instructor and see of a phone is good enough. I am penitently waiting.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

'Things are different here" has just been entered in the 2015 understatement of the Dominican year 2015 competition.

4. Likes drSix, Eleutheria liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My go to answer is always " ya cant blame them for TRYING"..
    this is how they are raised, you not gonna change them.
    you have to take the good with the bad, or you will just need another DRINK.. and then it will be nanny +2 ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

she needs one of those 1/2 phone, 1/2 tablet type things

Dell has big sales regularly

7. Likes 4*4*4, Commander Ooh La La, USN liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

How old is the nanny?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    How old is the nanny?
    I haven't asked. She has an eight year old, so best guess is early thirties.

Moderator 🀑 Clown Bin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drSix View Post
    I haven't asked. She has an eight year old, so best guess is early thirties.
    She's Dominican, 24 may be closer.

✨🀢✨ Season's Greetings βœ¨πŸŽ…βœ¨

11. Likes jd426, Harleysrock, Garyexpat liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    She's Dominican, 24 may be closer.
    statistically if she has an 8 year old, and thats her ONLY, I would be SHOKED if she is older than 28..
    In their 30's they Mellow out quite a bit, and dont act like spoiled children as much any more.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt a computer is "mandatory" for uni here. Just can't see it, too poor a country, and if she's working as a nanny, she probably isn't going to prestigious, private university,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast