familiarity of dominicans with bermuda triangle

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks to meemselle i am now in possession of a book about bermuda triangle. it really brings memories of my childhood, eh...
anyways, since the devil's triangle borders DR, so to speak, do dominicans know about it? do they have stories regarding dominican vessels disappearing in this area?
i asked miesposo but he says he learnt about this from american media, nothing that he grew up hearing. how about your dominican friends and family?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"dominican vessels disappearing in this area?"

They tend to disappear more into the direction to Puerto Rico... :bunny:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nope. They never heard of it. Just like the people in Italy never heard of "When in Rome do as the Romans do".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe a generational thing, but I just asked Mr. AE if he'd ever heard of the Bermuda Triangle when he lived in DR, and he said "Of course!" I asked what he'd heard back then, and he knew about the planes and ships disappearing, and that back then [before 1975] people in DR thought that aliens took them. No rumors about any Dominican planes/vessels tho.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My children were told about it in school by there teacher. My task then to debunk it.

Kengdean

Dec 1, 2014
thanks to meemselle i am now in possession of a book about bermuda triangle. it really brings memories of my childhood, eh...
anyways, since the devil's triangle borders DR, so to speak, do dominicans know about it? do they have stories regarding dominican vessels disappearing in this area?
i asked miesposo but he says he learnt about this from american media, nothing that he grew up hearing. how about your dominican friends and family?

The Bermuda Triangle is kinda fascinating, but it has been proven that there are no more ships going down there than any other similar areas of ocean around the world ...they just seem to get more attention!
That being said, there are some very unusual losses in this area. Both in ships and planes.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Born and raised in Hig?ey, y "claro que yes" we heard/read about it. And as much as I love the U.S.A. and U.S.Aians, they do not have a monopoly on info.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In less than 4 minutes the mistery of the Bermuda Triangle is explained... sort of...

[video=youtube;MSmAXp_BHcQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSmAXp_BHcQ[/video]

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
People lose all the time different things in the Bermuda Triangle, the Corner Pedro Clisante/Dr. Rosen.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Maybe a generational thing, but I just asked Mr. AE if he'd ever heard of the Bermuda Triangle when he lived in DR, and he said "Of course!" I asked what he'd heard back then, and he knew about the planes and ships disappearing, and that back then [before 1975] people in DR thought that aliens took them. No rumors about any Dominican planes/vessels tho.

Just asked Gaby if she's ever heard of "Triangulo de Bermuda" and had heard of any boats or planes disappearing there. She said the same thing as Mr.AE. Aliens.. When I explained the phenomenon, she was quick to tell me that "we're never sailing through there again".. Gotta love Dominicans.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Many of the famous disappearances have been explained, like the group of WWII era fighter bombers (5 TBV Avengers) that were lost between The Bahamas and Florida. They were found (mostly intact) and the current consensus is that they ran out of gas because they were not able to pinpoint their location due to getting confused when seeing Grand Bahama Island, thinking it was Florida.

The case of the ship Mary Celeste, where the ship was found intact with food on plates, but no crew or persons, was explained that the cargo held some kind of poisonous alcohol, and that the crew abandoned ship thinking there may be an imminent explosion.

Of course many incidents have never been explained, as there are all over the world before proper communications.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Born and raised in Hig?ey, y "claro que yes" we heard/read about it. And as much as I love the U.S.A. and U.S.Aians, they do not have a monopoly on info.

well, the americans were the ones who started the myth. which is not to say that the natives did not have stories circulating about the mysteries of the seas for decades. this is why i am curious about what dominicans know/heard in regards to the triangle since it's so close to their turf.

Many of the famous disappearances have been explained, like the group of WWII era fighter bombers (5 TBV Avengers) that were lost between The Bahamas and Florida. They were found (mostly intact) and the current consensus is that they ran out of gas because they were not able to pinpoint their location due to getting confused when seeing Grand Bahama Island, thinking it was Florida.

planes from flight 19 were never found. it is true that plenty of wrecks of planes have been found on the sea bed but none were officially confirmed as the 5 missing avengers. running out of fuel is a very plausible and explanation among experts.
here's a bit more on that: http://www.nasflmuseum.com/flight-19.html

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

The case of the ship Mary Celeste, where the ship was found intact with food on plates, but no crew or persons, was explained that the cargo held some kind of poisonous alcohol, and that the crew abandoned ship thinking there may be an imminent explosion.

Of course many incidents have never been explained, as there are all over the world before proper communications.

Conchman, they thought they found the planes, but they had the wrong tail numbers. The 5 Avengers are still missing.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I've met one Dominican woman who had a Bermuda Triangle herself, I was lucky I survived ;)

That's what you get for beating around the, "bush". You have to exercise caution and not, "pussyfoot", around down there. I got a million more but I'll stop hair!

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I don't think the area is any more dangerous or unusual as any other heavily traveled sea and air area.
In essence the area is / was the entrance into the New World, and since then has always been a super active
shipping area. And then later the same for air travel to and from SE coast (Miami) into the Caribbean.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do commercial planes from DR (as well as mexico, cuba, florida) fly to europe over the triangle?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
do commercial planes from DR (as well as mexico, cuba, florida) fly to europe over the triangle?
There's no practical way around it. Perhaps if a hurricane sits north of PR, the airplanes departing from Punta Cana would opt to fly over or south of Puerto Rico and then head straight to Europe effectively avoiding the triangle. From any other DR airport (maybe La Romana is an exception) not even that scenario would be enough for planes to fly around the triangle.

bermudatriangle.gif

Flights to Miami could be made outside the triangle, but experience tells me that they fly mostly within because the islands of the Bahamas are visible from the window almost for the entire flight.

Flights to NY/Boston includes cruising within the triangle maybe for a good 40 to 50 minutes, maybe a little bit more. I'm guessing by looking at the map and from experience noticing that as the planes approaches the DR, they begin the descent at about the area where the Turks & Caicos Islands are usually visible from the window. It takes a good 10 to 20 minutes to fly near Puerto Plata (when landing at Santiago) after the descent has started.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

Sure do. Even the little planes that come here. I've flown over it quite a number of times and the only loss I've experienced is in Sosua which is actually outside.
But,
That's going off at a tangent.......