Cancelling Utilities

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Hey,

Does anyone have turnaround time for cancelling utilities (water, electric, Claro)?

We're trying to determine how to handle this as we're leaving the country and don't want to have any outstanding bills.

We've called EdeNorte and they said 3 days. Same with Corasaan and Claro says same day cancellation as long as the bill is paid to date.

This is all from the companies so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Can anyone shed some light on if those numbers are accurate?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if your phone is a post paid plan,
keep in mind that those contracts are usually issued for 18 months.
of course you can cancel at any time, but you pay some significant fees for each month canceled before the 18 months are up.
each time you make changes on your residencial Plan or do a cambiasso on your cellphone Plan, you start an other newly counting 18 months of contract time.
other than that, you can cancel with Claro the same day you are there to do the cancellation.
they send you to the cashier with a paper that shows your bill owed to that day, you pay it and the customer service attendand cancels your line.

Mike

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
if your phone is a post paid plan,
keep in mind that those contracts are usually issued for 18 months.
of course you can cancel at any time, but you pay some significant fees for each month canceled before the 18 months are up.
each time you make changes on your residencial Plan or do a cambiasso on your cellphone Plan, you start an other newly counting 18 months of contract time.
other than that, you can cancel with Claro the same day you are there to do the cancellation.
they send you to the cashier with a paper that shows your bill owed to that day, you pay it and the customer service attendand cancels your line.

Mike

Are you sure about the restarting of new contract on changes? I have Doble Play if that matters (Phone + Internet).

I've asked specifically about that every time I've made a change and they said that no, the contract does not start again.

Asked regular customer service at Claro and a manager to confirm.

I'm beyond 18 months from first signing up but not 18 months from the last change I made.

I guess we'll find out once I cancel. :eek:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Are you sure about the restarting of new contract on changes? I have Doble Play if that matters (Phone + Internet).

I've asked specifically about that every time I've made a change and they said that no, the contract does not start again.

Asked regular customer service at Claro and a manager to confirm.

I'm beyond 18 months from first signing up but not 18 months from the last change I made.

I guess we'll find out once I cancel. :eek:

it may depend what you change.
the only change i ever did on a residencial Plan was a Mudanza, moving to the neighbour building.
here the old contract was canceled and for the new place(same Residencial) a new 18 months contract started.
on cellphones i had different things, which all started the 18 months period/new contract again,
like the cambiassos, changing the kind of Plan(more minutes, more data, etc).

Mike