Dominican with US green card travel to spain?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Never saw this come up before. I know my wife will need a visa to travel to spain. I assume it would be relatively easy to obtain since she has US green card?
Has anyone done this before? I am thinking maybe valentine's day in Europe would be a nice change of pace. If not, maybe back to New orleans!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Never saw this come up before. I know my wife will need a visa to travel to spain. I assume it would be relatively easy to obtain since she has US green card?
Has anyone done this before? I am thinking maybe valentine's day in Europe would be a nice change of pace. If not, maybe back to New orleans!

Well this is what a friend of mine needed when he went to Barcelona to visit his cousin. He was living in CT with a Green Card. This was in 2008 so not sure if its the same.

1. Had to apply for a Schengen Visa
Needed to show passport, 2 photos, Green Card, Airline Ticket, Health Insurance, Hotel or living arrangments, 2 credit cards, bank statements, TRAVEL INSURANCE meeting Schengen guidelines, letter from Employer and a fee to the Spanish Consulate in New York.

2. He then had to go to New York for an interview, was approved and they put a visa in his Dominican Passport.
3. Even with all that, the visa was only valid for 30 days.

NOT SURE IF THAT'S THE INFO YOU WANTED, since that was getting it in the US, and you didn't mention whether you were
applying in the DR or USA.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/can-permanent-resident-travel-europe-visa-108350.html

If you stay in the U.S. on the basis of a United States Permanent Resident Card -- or USCIS Form I-551, popularly known as the Green Card -- your ability to travel to Europe without a visa will depend on the country that has issued your passport. Your permanent residency status in the U.S. doesn't influence your need for visas, while your actual citizenship does.

you need to apply in a country where you plan to spend most of your time or in a country where your point of entry is. spain has been a bit difficult recently in terms of issuing visas.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/can-permanent-resident-travel-europe-visa-108350.html

If you stay in the U.S. on the basis of a United States Permanent Resident Card -- or USCIS Form I-551, popularly known as the Green Card -- your ability to travel to Europe without a visa will depend on the country that has issued your passport. Your permanent residency status in the U.S. doesn't influence your need for visas, while your actual citizenship does.

you need to apply in a country where you plan to spend most of your time or in a country where your point of entry is. spain has been a bit difficult recently in terms of issuing visas.

Right. I get she still needs a visa. My thinking is it will be more easily obtained if she has residency in US.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Well this is what a friend of mine needed when he went to Barcelona to visit his cousin. He was living in CT with a Green Card. This was in 2008 so not sure if its the same.

1. Had to apply for a Schengen Visa
Needed to show passport, 2 photos, Green Card, Airline Ticket, Health Insurance, Hotel or living arrangments, 2 credit cards, bank statements, TRAVEL INSURANCE meeting Schengen guidelines, letter from Employer and a fee to the Spanish Consulate in New York.

2. He then had to go to New York for an interview, was approved and they put a visa in his Dominican Passport.
3. Even with all that, the visa was only valid for 30 days.

NOT SURE IF THAT'S THE INFO YOU WANTED, since that was getting it in the US, and you didn't mention whether you were
applying in the DR or USA.

Very helpful, thanks! She is currently in NYC so an interview will be fine. Credit Cards, insurance, hotel and flighst are also no problem.
I will have her look into it.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I can't see why a US Green Card should be of any value when visiting another country.

Maybe you are blind? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Dominican_Republic_citizens

Check that link. You see how many countries waive visa requirement if the traveler has US travel visa or residency?

I will explain it to you. Dominicans now need visas to Jamaica, Argentina, Brasil, Uruguay, Aruba, and a ton of other places. Why? Because many dominicans will overstay their visa and never leave.
DMany dominicans are desperate to leave and think any country would be better than home. So, knowing that, which I assume you do. . . .You can't see say Jamaica saying. . . "hmmm if she wanted to overstay her visa, she can do it in the US, WTF would she be a risk to stay in Jamaica if she currently resides in US"?

Get it?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I can't see why a US Green Card should be of any value when visiting another country.

american, canadian and schengen visas are enough to permit entry to few countries in the caribbean region.

Right. I get she still needs a visa. My thinking is it will be more easily obtained if she has residency in US.

it may but does not guarantee the result. schengen visas are more and more difficult to obtain as they permit entry to most of european countries. the requirements are more strict now than few years ago.

in any case, best of luck.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Maybe you are blind? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Dominican_Republic_citizens

Check that link. You see how many countries waive visa requirement if the traveler has US travel visa or residency?

I will explain it to you. Dominicans now need visas to Jamaica, Argentina, Brasil, Uruguay, Aruba, and a ton of other places. Why? Because many dominicans will overstay their visa and never leave.
DMany dominicans are desperate to leave and think any country would be better than home. So, knowing that, which I assume you do. . . .You can't see say Jamaica saying. . . "hmmm if she wanted to overstay her visa, she can do it in the US, WTF would she be a risk to stay in Jamaica if she currently resides in US"?

Get it?

It is logical but it is not their logic . I know 2 persons residing in the US, one Dom and one African who were denied visas to France (applying at the NY French consulate). It can happen.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
It is logical but it is not their logic . I know 2 persons residing in the US, one Dom and one African who were denied visas to France (applying at the NY French consulate). It can happen.

Yep.. The French. My wife and I travel to St. Maarten frequently. We can't enter through the French side, but we can go to the French side after entering through the Dutch Side. How stupid is that? French anywhere including the Caribbean islands requires a visa and the GC doesn't mean a thing.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
american, canadian and schengen visas are enough to permit entry to few countries in the caribbean region.

it may but does not guarantee the result. schengen visas are more and more difficult to obtain as they permit entry to most of european countries. the requirements are more strict now than few years ago.

in any case, best of luck.

Also countries in central america, mexico and canada don't require visas if you have US visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 3, 2009
Please let us know how it works out with the Spanish embassy. We are looking to do the same thing next fall.