Property Value

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
How do you find out the value of a property in the Dominican Republic?

That depends on what the purpose is. If it is for calculation of property taxes visit dgii.gov.do, howver if it is for the purpose of comparables there is no structure here save for whatever someone is willing to pay and or sell a property for. There is no Zillow type data base with average price per square meter listed in various cities and sectors of the country.

If I am wrong I look forward to seeing another post dispute me. As far as I know there is no official site to learn who owns a particular property either.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
If it is for paying property tax, the government office may ask for documentation such as the contract of sale . many people use a lawyer to argue the valuation of the property, but ,in my case, they accepted the value that was the sale price on the contract.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You know for sure when you sell it. Otherwise it is pure speculation. No such thing as mls or comps here. I would not trust real estate agents, appraisers or blood sucking lawyers to set the value but then I am not a trusting kind of person.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
I wanted to know because I read an article that said "There is a universal rent control in Dominican Republic with maximum monthly rent fixed at 1% of the value of the rental property. The tenant can request the Rent Control Authority to reduce the rent if it exceeds the allowed maximum."

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Caribbean/Dominican-Republic/Landlord-and-Tenant

"Rent Control Authority" !! That is funny! No Andrea, pay no attention to that article as it is a complete fantasy of someone. Do a search for more details, but in general, investigating the rents offered in your area of interest (by signs and calling, internet websites of RE agents, talking to neighbors, etc.) is the best way to get somewhat of an idea of the going rate. Sorry about that article, but it is the worst kind of misinformation.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
You may want to check who wrote that article. Some lawyer by the name of Guzman Ariza.. Sound familiar?

Of course.

Do you think that Fabio or one of his lawyers would actually advise a client that "There is a universal rent control in Dominican Republic with maximum monthly rent fixed at 1% of the value of the rental property. The tenant can request the Rent Control Authority to reduce the rent if it exceeds the allowed maximum." ??

I find it difficult to believe.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Of course.

Do you think that Fabio or one of his lawyers would actually advise a client that "There is a universal rent control in Dominican Republic with maximum monthly rent fixed at 1% of the value of the rental property. The tenant can request the Rent Control Authority to reduce the rent if it exceeds the allowed maximum." ??

I find it difficult to believe.
Hmm, I wouldn't believe it to be enforced, but who pays more than 1% of the value of a property in monthly rent?!!! Meaning to pay the whole worth of the property in 8 years. A 4,000,000 apartment with a maximum rent of 40,000 pesos per month doesn't sound unrealistic, most likely rent for a 4,000,000 pesos apartment would be 20,000 pesos.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Hmm, I wouldn't believe it to be enforced, but who pays more than 1% of the value of a property in monthly rent?!!! Meaning to pay the whole worth of the property in 8 years. A 4,000,000 apartment with a maximum rent of 40,000 pesos per month doesn't sound unrealistic, most likely rent for a 4,000,000 pesos apartment would be 20,000 pesos.

You seem to miss the significance of telling someone that there exists some sort of watch-dog agency in the Dominican Republic government that would proactively protect someone from overpaying on their rent and that there is some type of rental ?cap? based upon tax value of the property as opposed to the market demand.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You seem to miss the significance of telling someone that there exists some sort of watch-dog agency in the Dominican Republic government that would proactively protect someone from overpaying on their rent and that there is some type of rental “cap” based upon tax value of the property as opposed to the market demand.

No I don't miss that. I am saying that the mechanism actually exists, is probably not enforced but in practice would never need to pay involved because nobody ever pays more than 1% of the value of a property.

They have rules and regulations for everything here, just not being enforced. Who knew for example that the central bank has a register where you can register yourself if you are an agent or distributor for a foreign company , so they can't displace you without indemnity?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
hahaha can you file to get your past rent back???esp if they have lost the apt to a bank???sue the bank...????

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
No I don't miss that. I am saying that the mechanism actually exists, is probably not enforced but in practice would never need to pay involved because nobody ever pays more than 1% of the value of a property.

They have rules and regulations for everything here, just not being enforced. Who knew for example that the central bank has a register where you can register yourself if you are an agent or distributor for a foreign company , so they can't displace you without indemnity?

Please post contact information for this agency.

Yes, people do pay more than 1% of the tax value of properties in rent. Tax values on properties can be extremely low and not consistent with the market values of the properties and as such breaching the 1% cap of the Tax value is very easy.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Its only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. As far as rent control that is the funniest thing I have heard about this place. Had to be a lawyer who came up with that.