Just have to say

After reading Mame and Ed's report on the reason they left the DR, I feel I must report that the numerous visits we have made to the DR we never had any problems like Mame and really have enjoyed ourselves, but we just returned from Mexico, yes Mexico, I know this may not be the place to say but:
Our vacation in Playa del Carmen, Mexico at the 5 star Riu Tequila complex with unlimited access to the 5 star Riu Playacar and 5 star Riu Yucatan was the most fantastic trip we have ever been on. The culture, the ruins, the snorkelling and diving. the resorts were fantastic. It really and truly supercedes any trip we have made to the DR, we will return to the DR again no doubt, but I wonder if we will ever have such a wonderful experience. I will have to try the RIU resorts in the DR because if they are anything like the ones in Mexico they would be considered excellent, I have been to Barcelo, Iberostar, Occidental, LTI and others on POP, PC and SD area, although good, none can hold a candle to what we found at the aforementioned RIU's.
I number of people who frequent this board and we keep in email contact with were wondering why we decided on Mexico, well we thought a change was necessary and were pleasantly suprised. Next trip leaves April 20, 2002 aboard the Trans Atlantic Voyageur from Aruba through the southern Caribbean cross the Atlantic to Madeira Islands, Spain and Mallorca in the Mediterranean.
I will continue to visit the DR1 board and keep up on the Dominican and its happenings.
Just my thoughts!

Hlywud

Becky

Jan 23, 2002
Thats good to know. Now you have me re-thinking my travel plans. I stayed in cozumel my last vacation and went to to the Playa area for a day trip (sister site of the reef club I was at in cozumel) and really liked the area. Have been deciding whether to go to that area or to the DR. Thanks for commenting on your RIU experience. I just might take you up on it :)