New member from uk

nomadic

Nov 3, 2015
Hi,
I got to know about this forum while searching for information about DR. I am planning to travel for a month or so. Need some help in planning but will ask about that in appropriate subsection. Thanks.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Welcome from another Brit. Hope you have thick skin....you might need it during your introduction phase to DR1.

I have always used Rough Guide to Dominican Republic as a good guide to the country within which I have travelled widely over the years. I find it on the whole an interesting and lovely country and do hope you make the effort to travel around. Brits are normally good travelers with eyes wide open. Best of luck.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Welcome to DR1.

I guess I have just one advice for you "learn as much Spanish as you can".... Good luck with your trip.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Welcome. I am sure all your questions can be answered here on DR1. It is a wealth on information.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Welcome from a fellow Brit. Unlike the Americans here, who complain that the DR is expensive, you will find things cheap, unless you start buying "luxury" goods like cars.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
maybe you could explain british sayings??? word meanings etc...#1 whats a farthing??? what do you brits call /actuall words for sex??? what/who are bangers???

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and we got rocks everywhere but brits no way they weigh themselves with rocks>>> and then sent the stones to the world...along w/ other horid things animals beetles etc

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
maybe you could explain british sayings??? word meanings etc...#1 whats a farthing??? what do you brits call /actuall words for sex??? what/who are bangers???

Since you asked the question on 5th November.....Guy Fawkes night.......'banger' is used to describe a firework commonly used on this day which makes a 'bang'.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

A farthing was a coin worth a quarter of an old penny. It went out of circulation in the 1950s.
The actual word we use for sex is sex.
Bangers are either fireworks as described above or sausages.
I have no idea what you are talking about regarding rocks.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
and we got rocks everywhere but brits no way they weigh themselves with rock

I studied two semesters of chic languages in high school. He is referring to the British weight measurement "Stone". It is roughly equivalent to 14 pounds in U.S. weight measurement.