Adirondack chairs

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Does anyone happen to know where I could get my hands on a few wooden adirondack chairs (preferably on the north coast)? We bought 4 plastic ones about a year ago and use them all the time, but would like to upgrade to proper wooden ones as a little Christmas present to ourselves. We are located in Cabrera but could do anywhere from Puerto Plata to Nagua and would even consider Santiago or Santo Domingo if the price is right and the chairs are what we are looking for. Would love to hear if others have bought any, where they got them, price, and if they can recommend a seller or even a builder. Thanks in advance!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
picture would help out as to what are adirondack chairs. Most chairs here are made in china, plastic and stackable. Dont make me google

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
premium%20adirondack%20chair.jpg

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
take the chair to local cabinet/wood builder shop order two ...careful of the wood used... timeless (in other words u might have to ask questions about the woods quality of being outside...)

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Lineres
in Caberete
I bought 2 of them there recently and I love them

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had 4 made right before we left in May, but on the southern coast, west of SD. Didn't take photos, but they look like the one you posted. I think they were 800 pesos each - we also had two matching lounge chairs made by the same guy, 1500 pesos each. When we get back next month we'll have cushions made.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
We had 4 made right before we left in May, but on the southern coast, west of SD. Didn't take photos, but they look like the one you posted. I think they were 800 pesos each - we also had two matching lounge chairs made by the same guy, 1500 pesos each. When we get back next month we'll have cushions made.

800 pesos each?!?!? That is amazing!!! Our plastic ones cost more than that each. Heck, I'd take a couple of those 1500 pesos lounge chairs at the same time. It would be well worth travelling down there (or sending a truck) for that price!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
800 pesos each?!?!? That is amazing!!! Our plastic ones cost more than that each. Heck, I'd take a couple of those 1500 pesos lounge chairs at the same time. It would be well worth travelling down there (or sending a truck) for that price!

If you can wait until we get there [late Dec] I can take photos of the ones we bought so you can see them. This isn't a place I can 'send' you to, this guy makes them in a building behind his house, and only sells to individuals who are referred to him. From what I heard, he makes all the chairs for the beach restaurants in Palenque.

After we bought ours, a Dominican couple from SD who have a house near ours saw them, and loved them so much they bought 4 too.

PS. These are unpainted/unfinished.

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
If you can wait until we get there [late Dec] I can take photos of the ones we bought so you can see them. This isn't a place I can 'send' you to, this guy makes them in a building behind his house, and only sells to individuals who are referred to him. From what I heard, he makes all the chairs for the beach restaurants in Palenque.

After we bought ours, a Dominican couple from SD who have a house near ours saw them, and loved them so much they bought 4 too.

PS. These are unpainted/unfinished.

good bus. opportunity alot of cabinet makers out there

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
retire and buy two... then spend alot of cash painting them... then sanding and re painting:squareeye:squareeye:squareeye

May 29, 2006
I'm thinking about downloading the plans and having some made from kaoba. I figure maybe $100/chair?

For 800 pesos, maybe out of pallets?

You can make them so they fold up too. Lots of free designs out there. A good shop can bang those out in about an hour or so, esp if they use a nail gun.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They make them here in Cabrera.

Flor Cafe had them made.

The carpenter up the hill in el Breton can make them too.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
They make them here in Cabrera.

Flor Cafe had them made.

The carpenter up the hill in el Breton can make them too.

I have asked Flor Cafe about theirs... they gave a crazy price which I am not willing to pay. No surprise! You should have heard the price they tried to charge me for soil compared to your guy in El Breton.

Carpenter up the hill in El Breton?? Having someone make them locally sounds like a good plan and the easiest for transporting such large/heavy furniture.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I'm thinking about downloading the plans and having some made from kaoba. I figure maybe $100/chair?

For 800 pesos, maybe out of pallets?

You can make them so they fold up too. Lots of free designs out there. A good shop can bang those out in about an hour or so, esp if they use a nail gun.

Yes, I was thinking about $100 a chair would be what I would expect/like to pay to have them made.

With all of the great plans available online, my husband could probably even give it a try, but I worry then I won't get them until June as his 'to build' list is getting rather long and my daughters' bunkbeds take priority over chairs for the garden! ;) Having a pro bang them out in a day sounds ideal for just a bit more money.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Flor Cafe is very expensive....yes.

Carpenter is past soil guy up the hill....
in a tin shack on the right as you crest the hill.... Chello by name.

He can copy mine... I am very near him.

BTW, soil guy is one who was smashed on the moto last week.
recovering but badly broken.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
about 8000 RD each
they have nice colors
papetera in sosua has some now also and they are cheaper but not as nice