Rifle purchase

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Does any one any suggestions for a rifle purchase here?
Can it be a shotgun or bullet type?
What caliber can a woman use?
How much should we pay?
Can you buy used rifles or handguns ones legally
Thanks

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Does any one any suggestions for a rifle purchase here?
Can it be a shotgun or bullet type?
What caliber can a woman use?
How much should we pay?
Can you buy used rifles or handguns ones legally
Thanks

I've read on here: no rifles. Just shotguns and pistols 9mm or less.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Shotgun in Spanish is called an "escopeta".

Hand gun permits requires renewal and ballistic test every year
Shotgun permits are a one-time for life license.

Must be a legal resident or citizen to get permit.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
While the armeria won't tell you and the clerk who accepts your application robotically says 15 workings days, the reality is that the process of issuing licenses has been slowed way down. Probably several reasons for this, but one of the big ones that I keep hearing from those in the business is that the Minister has decided to apply the breaks.

Foreigner applications for a new firearm (new to the owner not the country) may take almost a year. For Dominicans six months or more. I know a Dominican who has been waiting for a renewal since the end of May. VIP processing is a fallacy, out and out bribes still work, but are more difficult to initiate.

Having a contact is helpful.

If the sellers had to wait until the license is issued before getting your money, things would change. But alas here in the DR everyone gets their money first and you end up in limbo praying it doesn't take more than a year or you'll have to start the process again.

As mentioned, no rifles. Since the populous starting popping off at the Politicos, they have fallen out of vogue.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Foreigner applications require a letter from the police in your home country.

Applications are run through Interpol, then they run through many offices in police headquarters. So imagine the delays there between offices.

It took my friend over 6 months for a shotgun permit and he already had a handgun license.

Nov 6, 2015
I received my shot gun March of this year. What SantiagoDR said is correct. After paying for the shot gun. One more hurdle to jump, One more piece of paper to submit, one more security check. Interpol check yes , police report from back home yes, ID ID ID. Took just a little less than 11 months to get it. I thought for sure they stole the money.

You can order accessories for the shot gun like specialized butt stocks and others and have them shipped here with no problems with customs.

New rifles are not available to citizens but there are many in private ownership so they do exist .22 cal is the biggest.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Please tell us the "wide variety of shot gun ammo"?

Most of the shotguns are for security and shot barrel with pistol grip. They are not for hunting or skeet shooting. Short range and most of the shot is light. A couple of shoulder stocks are offered but cost more but may be better if your wife can not handle the kick back in just her hands/wrists/arms when fired.

IF your papers are in order then you pay cash and wait a year.

IF your wife cant handle the kick back ?? What about me ? ;)
I have a piece of crap carandai shotgun, no butt, pistol grip. Firing with #2 shells is plain uncomftable, using #6 sends shock waves up through the wrist to the elbow !!!!!

And I am not THAT small, 180cm for 85kg....

May 5, 2007
Buying my 12 gauge, I asked at a couple of gun places and #8 shot was the maximum. When I picked up my gun at the armory I was offered 3 choices of shells. Dumb-dumb, ??? and #8.

#8 is the heaviest shot we can buy legally. I'm looking at the box as I write this.

What are dumb dumb shotgun shells?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Rubber , or bean bags probably.. ..leaving a big Welt mark though im sure, or possible internal injuries, but considered non lethal force.
surprised you dont know that.

May 5, 2007
Rubber , or bean bags probably.. ..leaving a big Welt mark though im sure, or possible internal injuries, but considered non lethal force.
surprised you dont know that.

Never hard of them Familiar with dum dum's for rifle/pistols rounds but not for shotguns World is full of surprises isn't it?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I think there is a video on youtube of some guys ( idiots) literally testing them on each other.. One guy had like a black and blue Mark on Belly which then turned like yellow and Green, like they do with serious bruises...
was pretty comical, but they were lucky they didnt damage an Organ..

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Thank you jd. I was not clear enough and that's my fault.

While getting my shotgun at the Armory, they asked me if I wanted to buy shells from them and gave me the 3 choices. They were pushing the non-lethal "dumb dumbs" and I frankly replied with 4 other Dominican Military in the room. "If I need to shoot someone; I want them dead." They all went into fits of laughing and very much agreed.

Actually, I find those " dumbs dumbs " an intresting idea.

Of course not as the only shells in the shotgun. But the first shell ( to come out, not to go in, if u follow my idea :) ), could be one of those, then 5 other regular shells.... and not 6, cos I would probably blow my foot off if i had a shell in the cannon already due to the PO.S security :)

Jul 28, 2014
Reload your own shells, you can have 2x Magnum with whatever size shot you want, just gotta know where to buy "ball bearings"...