Travel suggestion for 1 month trip to DR

nomadic

Nov 3, 2015
Hi Guys,
I am planning to travel on a budget and got about a month(am from uk). I was told its too long for a small country like DR, but it seems there are lot of places to see.
Also I would be able to travel around in a relaxed pace. I like historical monument/areas, beaches, pubs etc.
Not really looking for watersports or hiking or things of that nature. I would probably use combination of hostels & airbnb.

Would appreciate if anybody suggest
1. an iternary or major places to visit.
2. whether I should buy pesos/dollars and carry them with me?(as opposed to using credit/debit card)
3. Anything that I must carry from UK.
4. Any other tips / dos & donts

I am trying to read as many threads as possible for info but thought would ask members here.
Thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Let's start with which airport you're flying into.

You can get almost anywhere in DR by bus - or were you planning on renting a car?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
A 1st visit should be limited to no more than 10 days. You'll need a month to process all that happened in those 10 days. Travel to the capital. You won't be disappointed.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
After a few days rest in Punta Cana, I would do a week or so in Samana including 2 days at Playa Rincon, 3 or 4 days in Santo Domingo, 2 weeks on the North Coast and include a few days in the interior in the beautiful mountains. Bring some US dollars but don't get pesos at the airport where the exchange rate is terrible. Someone can advise you where to change your money in Punta Cana. You can withdraw pesos at an atm. Do that at a bank that is open so that you can get your card if the machine malfunctions. Don't carry alot of money with you.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
One month will fly by....

First action is to get a map of DR in front of you and realize the country is not flat and full of motorways getting you from a to b in a flash, but the best roads are from Punta Cana and so after a few days rest in the tourist hub you can get travelling quickly.

Second. Get yourself reading travel guides. Try Rough Guide below:

http://www.roughguides.com/destinations/central-america-and-the-caribbean/dominican-republic/

Where you start has beaches every way you look and a few drinking holes. Before you head away from the East Coast, make a point of visiting the basilica in Higuey.

You can try Bayahibe and La Romana on your eastward travels west. I guess you ought to take a view of Altos de Chavron and near San Pedro, Cuevas Las Maravillas. For some imbibing and other fun things Boca Chica might feature on your agenda before getting to Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo where you should enjoy the history.

From Santo Domingo you can either head further west towards the Haitian border (you have time) or inland to Santiago and the mountains at places like Jarabacoa or Constanza. The guide books will fill you in on the many things to see there.

From Santiago, the North Coast beckons and I will say no more since most posters on this forum live or go there.

Travelling east along the North Coast will lead you to Samana and some very fine beaches and a taste of France....some 7000 French live there. Las Terrenas is a nice stopping off point but so is Samana and Las Galaras.

For your return to Punta Cana I suggest the 4 times daily ferry from Samana to Sabana de la Mar and an excursion to Parque los Haitises to visit the Taino and pirate caves and also see the old banana plantations and wharves. After that you can head down the coast to PC on a road under construction or over the hills.

Ideas only.

Have fun. PM me when you have more than ten posts if you want more insight.

Last edited:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Withdraw pesos from an ATM at the airport or bank nearby. Don't buy them in UK. Forget dollars or travelers cheques, you can bring a few dollars as a reserve for travel. You will need 10 US on arrival for tourist card purchase.

Your debit/credit card is your lifeline and can be used at all DR bank ATM's. Don't carry too many pesos when travelling on public transport.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
You'll need more than one credit/debit card, often only one or the other functions at the ATM's.
Take also your drivinglicense, some Banks require two Id's to withdraw Money.

You can also make a trip to Haiti, for instance with Caribe Tour to Cap Haitien (but not so many bars to hangout there).

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
As you are landing in PUJ this are my sugestions.

1.-Stay few days andjoy the beach and sun, and take the tour to Higuey to visit the Basilica.

2.-Then stay in Bayahibe few days they has some nice Italian restaurants there and also you can take the tour to Isla Saona from there, also visit Altos de Cahvon.

4.- If you want some rest in no so crowed beach you can stay in Juan Dolio area and visit Cuevas de las Maravillas in San Pedro de Macoris, or also Stay in Boca Chica that has more night life and is also not too far from the Caves of Las Maravillas.

5.- Santo Domingo - You will love all the History there, musseuns, restaurants, bars, also you could take a look of the modern part of the city. Once in Santo Domingo you can take a bus and visit Samana, alot lots of nice beaches in that part.

6.- From Samana then you can Visit any point in the North Coast and take a tour to Los Haitises National Park, and if you are coming between Feb and March also will catch the Humpback whales watching season in Samana.

7.- From the North Coast them you can Visit Santiago, and visit there the Centro Cultural Leon. Santiago is the 2nd. bigest city in Dominican Republic.

8.- From Santiago then go back to Santo Domingo you can visit the Dunes in Ban?, also a tour to Bahia de Las Aguilas close to the border with Haiti.

Than Back in Santo Domingo stay another night and from there you can take a Bus direct to Punta Cana and stay few more days there before you go back to UK.

About the exchange rate in Airports now the Banco de Reservas that is the goverment bank is opening exchange windows in the airports and the exchange rate they will use is the oficial. If you see one by the time you come you can exchange there.

As you will be a month here also will be good idia to bring a Debit Card, and make a daily budjet so you could take money to survive for 3 or 4 days at least, that way you wont be charge with the fee if you plan to use the atm every day.

Thanks for come to visit and hope you enjoy.

Sent me P.M if you need some other help on things you will like to know.

May 29, 2006
It depends very much on your budget and what your comfort level would be. I was perfectly content in a $15/ night hotel in Hig?ey on my last trip, but it's very easy to spend well over ten times that amout for a resort all inclusive.

The biggest limitation will be you language skills. If you only speak English the you really need to stay in the tourist regions at first to feel out what you're able to do.

Santo Domingo is an open dumpster, though it does have some tourist areas that are cleaner.

Buses are a nice way to see some of the country, but some have heavily tinted windows and you'll only be on the highways.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Withdraw pesos from an ATM at the airport or bank nearby. Don't buy them in UK. Forget dollars or travelers cheques, you can bring a few dollars as a reserve for travel.

Never, ever change money at the airport kiosks. The rate of exchange is consistently terrible. ATMs are going to give you the best daily rate.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Never, ever change money at the airport kiosks. The rate of exchange is consistently terrible. ATMs are going to give you the best daily rate.

I said ATM's and to my knowledge at 4 of the international airports I've arrived at, have bank ATM's on land side offering a maximum of 2500rd at the same deal you get at any bank ATM across the country.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Those times are finishing where they rip off the turist, Banco de Reservas is opening windows inside the airports and this will force the other xchange houses to use oficial rates. They has a commercial office in SDQ first level, an window for exchange in in the 2nd. (Departures) and when I was coming back to Dominican from my last vacation trip I saw an area getting ready to have another windows that you could see it at your arrival before inmigration area.

May 29, 2006
Bus trips will eat up days. I lost five out of forteen days on buses my last trip, and two half days getting to and from the airports. All time well spent, but going to as little travel as possible this next trip.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Try not to book hotels in advance. Many times you will meet someone or a group. They will invite you to join them in the next day's party or excursion, but you have already paid for three nights in the next town and decline the offer. A town where you know no one and have no exciting plans. Keep it free and loose.

nomadic

Nov 3, 2015
Thanks a lot guys for help/info.
@ju10prd @riva_31 : thank you for detailed guidance, I am going through map just to follow the direction you guys are suggestion.
I was thinking I would start from east coast, then south(santo domingo) and then bulk of time in north.
Did not see much response in morning, so went ahead and bought some pesos. Have got no dollars yet.
I will carry 2 credit cards and 2 debit cards as people are suggesting here.

$15 dollar (10 pound) hotel is within my budget, infact I have budgeted around same or slightly more for airbnb.
I would probably stay at some hostel just to see the vibe and move to hotel/airbnb if I find it annoying.
I like meeting people who are travelling like me, but hate bunk beds, so will see how it goes.

The only spanish speaking country I have travelled is mexico, and found it not too difficult to navigate, although I don't understand spanish.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks a lot guys for help/info.
@ju10prd @riva_31 : thank you for detailed guidance, I am going through map just to follow the direction you guys are suggestion.
I was thinking I would start from east coast, then south(santo domingo) and then bulk of time in north.
Did not see much response in morning, so went ahead and bought some pesos. Have got no dollars yet.
I will carry 2 credit cards and 2 debit cards as people are suggesting here.

$15 dollar (10 pound) hotel is within my budget, infact I have budgeted around same or slightly more for airbnb.
I would probably stay at some hostel just to see the vibe and move to hotel/airbnb if I find it annoying.
I like meeting people who are travelling like me, but hate bunk beds, so will see how it goes.

The only spanish speaking country I have travelled is mexico, and found it not too difficult to navigate, although I don't understand spanish.

When you get your 10 posts try and get in contact with 'robbiee' who I suspect is from Holland or thereabouts and did a longer trip around the country on a budget in recent past.......on a bike too I believe....if he doesn't chip in.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Suggestions for traveling on a budget. Take note, that a month is not too much. This is a 33-day schedule

PUNTA CANA – 4 days
Punta Cana is a tourist wonderland but most people stay at all-inclusive resorts and the attractions/tours do not come cheap.
You can get around by public transport for cheap
For free you can visit the beaches – recommend Macao to the north, and Bavaro Beach (enter through Los Corales or El Cortecito).
From El Macao head to Higuey. There see the Basilica La Altagracia and the Basilica Museum.

LA ROMANA -- 3 days
Take the bus to Bayahibe in La Romana. Plenty of small hotels where to stay. Just get to the town and walk it and check out the different small hotels.
Or you could stay in Dominicus (right near by) and walk to the Dominicus Beach.
Book a boat trip to Saona Island.
Befriend some locals and go to a baseball game at night.
Take the bus to the Caribe Tours stop on the Las Americas highway to Samana.

SAMANA – 5 days
Take the local bus to Sabana de la Mar (via Hato Mayor)
Stay at Paraiso Cano Hondo. Take the Los Haitises excursion with the hotel.
Take the ferry to Samana peninsula.
Take the bus to Las Galeras. In Las Galeras visit Playa Rincon, La Playita. Have lunch on the beach. Visit Aquario Natural Kaio, Playa Fronton. Stay in El Cabito youth hostel.
Take the bus to Las Terrenas. Pueblo de los Pescadores, Playa Punta Popy, Playa Bonita, Playa Coson. Walk up El Limon waterfall.
Take the bus to Puerto Plata.

PUERTO PLATA – 9 days
Stay 3 nights in Sosua or Cabarete. Visit Sosua beach, walk up to Castillo Mundo King. Take the bus to Cabarete – water fun. Take the bus to Playa Grande. Visit Laguna Dudu.

Stay 2 nights in Puerto Plata city.
Visit the Puerto Plata historic downtown to see the Victorian houses and visit the Museo General Gregorio Luperon and the Amber Museum, Fortaleza San Felipe and the Malecon. Walk up the Loma Isabel de Torres mountain to the botanical garden trails, take the sky lift down. Take the tour to see Ron Brugal factory. Take the bus to Damajagua falls.

Stay 2 nights. Take the bus to Punta Rucia. Take the excursion to Cayo Arena.

Stay 1 night. Take the bus to La Isabela, site of the first European settlement. Visit the park, have lunch on the beach. Overnight in La Isabela.

SANTIAGO – 1 night
Take the bus here from La Isabela/ Luperon.
Stay 1 night. Take the bus to Santiago. Visit the Centro Leon.

JARABACOA-CONSTANZA – 2 nights
Stay 1 night in Jarabacoa, 1 night in Constanza.
Take the bus here from Santiago. Visit the Salto de Jimenoa waterfall, do river-rafting on Yaque del Norte river – can be arranged at most hotels.
Take the bus to Constanza. Visit the Reserva Cientifica Ebano Verde.

SANTO DOMINGO – 3 nights
Take the bus here from Jarabacoa or Constanza.
Stay at a hotel in the Colonial City. Some hostels available.
Tour the Colonial City. Visit the Botanical Gardens.
Go dancing at La Avenida Venezuela.

BARAHONA-PEDERNALES -- 5 days
Take the bus from Santo Domingo.
Stay in Barahona at Playa Azul. Take the bus to Casa Bonita Zipline. See the Cueva de la Virgen nearby.
Take the bus to Los Patos for seafood with a view. Overnight there.
Take the bus to the Laguna de Oviedo. Take the boat excursion early in the morning or late in afternoon.
Take the bus to Pedernales. Stay at Dona Chava. Take the excursion to Hoyo de Pelempito.
Take the boat excursion to Bahia de las Aguilas beach.

SANTO DOMINGO -- 1 night
Take the bus to Santo Domingo. Overnight. From there take the bus to Punta Cana.

nomadic

Nov 3, 2015
When you get your 10 posts try and get in contact with 'robbiee' who I suspect is from Holland or thereabouts and did a longer trip around the country on a budget in recent past.......on a bike too I believe....if he doesn't chip in.
will do. thanks. (4 more posts to go :) )