Traveling back to the US with dog

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
After almost 7 years in the DR and over 10 years away, my fianc? and I are returning to the US. I thought bringing our dog along would be relatively easy but I've just received a response from American Airlines that passengers can't directly transport their pets as cargo to the US anymore (since 2010). It has to be brokered through an agent that has a relationship with the airline. They directed me to the International Pet Air Transport Association http://www.ipata.com/find-a-pet-shipper/search-on-line-for-a-pet-shipper/. There are no results for PUJ and only one for SDQ.

Has anyone here transported a dog from PUJ to the US recently? I wasn't expecting it to get complicated. But then again why not. Everything else here is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Yes, United does it... and so does American. It's not the "who" I'm concerned with.... it's the "how". I'm trying to get information regarding a broker in Punta Cana. So far my googling has come up with nothing.

I very well may have to go to the airport and inquire directly with the airline representatives there. I've been unable to find a phone number for American Airlines at Punta Cana airport.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
American Airlines has an office at the airport. I believe it is in terminal B somewhere. Calling is a waste of time in the DR, go there.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
It is not complicated. Get in touch with Judy of AAAS. She ships dogs all the time.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
It's pretty easy. Brought a dog to my soon to be sister in law in the states last month. The dog needs a health cert which shows a current rabies vaccine. When you get to the states they will ask for this.

I did the recent trip on aa, which was a little different because she was a carry on dog. When I moved to the DR i used United which was great, but expensive.

If you use AA you need to be aware of kennel size restrictions on certain aircraft and temperature restrictions. The website has all of this info.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
It's pretty easy. Brought a dog to my soon to be sister in law in the states last month. The dog needs a health cert which shows a current rabies vaccine. When you get to the states they will ask for this.

I did the recent trip on aa, which was a little different because she was a carry on dog. When I moved to the DR i used United which was great, but expensive.

If you use AA you need to be aware of kennel size restrictions on certain aircraft and temperature restrictions. The website has all of this info.

Yes... it's totally different with large dogs shipped as cargo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You shouldn't need a broker.
Perhaps they misunderstood you if you said 'ship' a dog.
A dog in checked luggage is the phrase.

You need a vet certificate 7-10 days before departure, and the fee at the airport.
If SDQ, save some time/trouble - the agri office is on the lower level.
Go there first for the paperwork, then go upstairs to check in.
The car can stay in fornt of the office while you get stamped... its all about the 400 pesos

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
After almost 7 years in the DR and over 10 years away, my fianc? and I are returning to the US. I thought bringing our dog along would be relatively easy but I've just received a response from American Airlines that passengers can't directly transport their pets as cargo to the US anymore (since 2010). It has to be brokered through an agent that has a relationship with the airline. They directed me to the International Pet Air Transport Association http://www.ipata.com/find-a-pet-shipper/search-on-line-for-a-pet-shipper/. There are no results for PUJ and only one for SDQ.

Has anyone here transported a dog from PUJ to the US recently? I wasn't expecting it to get complicated. But then again why not. Everything else here is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, what is the bread of the dog and where is your destination?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
You shouldn't need a broker.
Perhaps they misunderstood you if you said 'ship' a dog.
A dog in checked luggage is the phrase.

You need a vet certificate 7-10 days before departure, and the fee at the airport.
If SDQ, save some time/trouble - the agri office is on the lower level.
Go there first for the paperwork, then go upstairs to check in.
The car can stay in fornt of the office while you get stamped... its all about the 400 pesos

You're right. The first person I spoke with at American Airlines led me astray. There is definitely a distinction between shipping a dog as "cargo" and shipping a dog a "checked luggage". I specifically told the agent I was traveling with my dog but for some reason he presumed I intended on shipping the dog as "cargo". Thus, the whole broker thing. As "checked luggage" I just pay the $200 bucks, get the right paperwork and I'm done.

I'm traveling out of PUJ and will make sure I've got all the paperwork taken care of ahead of time. I've already spoken to my vet about getting the papers from him.

It's a Golden Retriever by the way.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
You're right. The first person I spoke with at American Airlines led me astray. There is definitely a distinction between shipping a dog as "cargo" and shipping a dog a "checked luggage". I specifically told the agent I was traveling with my dog but for some reason he presumed I intended on shipping the dog as "cargo". Thus, the whole broker thing. As "checked luggage" I just pay the $200 bucks, get the right paperwork and I'm done.

I'm traveling out of PUJ and will make sure I've got all the paperwork taken care of ahead of time. I've already spoken to my vet about getting the papers from him.

It's a Golden Retriever by the way.

sounds like you already have a Vet who is in the know.
in case you have any troubles with him,
Eduardo, the Vet located at the Highway Crossing/Veron, right at the traffic lights, is a real Vet and very well familiar with the procedures.
he knows the paperwork and what certifications your dog needs.
i can't comment on own experience, as for us europeans the rules may be very different to the requirements for the USA, so i can't compare.
for the EU the dog needs the "Chip" and if traveling for the first time, it need's that Rabbies Check which is sent to Texas and comes with the results back around 20-25 days later, in such case it is advised to do it well on time, just in case of any "dominican time" thingy to happen.
form there on the dog needs just the usual Rabbies "refreshment" certificate to be up to date and is a easy go.
important is the "chip", without that a dog would not be let in to the EU i've been told.
i have it easy for shipment,
mine is a Chihuahua Lady, Lucy, full belly weight of a max of 1kg, 1.2kg during christmas time, lol,
she travels as Hand-Luggage/Carry-on, as she and her box weight well less than the allowed 5kg(some airlines here allow even 12kg carry on). so she needs just the paperwork and the specific box, no seat reservation or contact with any cargo department.
a Golden Retriever will of course not fit as hand-luggage, lol.
poor thing, i relly don't like it when they get stuffed into the belly of the plane.
i had a golden retriever, too, but never traveled with him.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Glad you got it sorted out.

Mike, the belly of the plane for dogs is a good place, air conditioned, safe.

Dogs go on last and off first....
BoBo was out an on the tarmac before I got out of the plane.... Row 7

and into the A/C in the baggage room n a flash.

If they are trained to their acge, they feel very secure
Training to the crate is crucial to the trip's success

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
oh yeah, the training to the cage sure is crucial.
none of my dogs ever had such training, but i did not intend to fly with 'em anyways.
the Chihuahua is the only exception.
she hates the box, in the house you could fill it with freshest meat and she would not spend a single smell/look on it, lol.
the good thing on the long hauls, haveing your double window seat and a sheet to stay warm for a nap,
noboy notice's a lil Doggy sleeping with you under the sheet.
she is the kinda "Daddy's" Girl" which doesn't move for many many hrs when lyng comfy in my arms/on my knees, lol.

Mike

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
My daughter picked up a street mongrel puppy in Sosua after it almost got run over by a garbage truck. She thought she'd take it to the DR Humane Society, and then she found out she WAS the Humane Society. A great Dominican vet wormed and de-ticked the dog, and gave all shots for entering Canada. The vet even stuck the sticky labels from the medicine vials onto the vaccination certificate. She paid $75 to the airline and the dog was small enough to shove under the seat in a bag. However, daughter had to change planes in New Jersey. It all went fine. In NJ, the agricultural inspector just looked at the paper and told her to get out of line and go and wait at the gate for her next plane. In the departure lounge, several people offered to adopt the puppy after hearing her story!

In Canada, at 1:15 a.m., the confused Customs Agents couldn't figure out what field to fill in on their database, so they decided to call the dog a "Commercial Importation." It therefore cost $50 more to import this malnourished street mongrel into Canada as a commercial product. Oh well. Two years later, she rules the two wimpey boy dogs like a dictator. You can take the dog out of the street, but .... Also, she hates winter, but is meticulous about leaving her potty deposits on potty pads indoors. All's well that ends well.

I travelled with a larger dog who had to go in the cargo hold from BC to Ottawa in winter. The vet gave me a mild sedative, which I gave her a couple of hours before flying. She arrived in the baggage area before the luggage even started coming off the plane, and she was just fine.