drinking the water

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
OK, they always say, "don't drink the water", I know. But, don't the locals drink the water?

If one lives in a place, wouldn't they get used to the water over time?

<sup>I know this is the case with family I have who live in a remote area in Canada and whose water supply comes from a river that has been tested and declared undrinkable by the "experts", but everyone who grew up drinking it has never been sick from it; though those used to over chlorinated, floridated, city water (Walkerton notwithstanding) don't necessarily take to it. </sup>

mauricem

Jan 2, 2002
drinking water

the water is good ,but the pipes of distribution are bad and leak
please buy bottle water use and ask for " planeta azul the best water in the country"

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
drinking water

In addition to buying bottled water, I recommend that you carry a small bottle of Purrissima with you to purify water when bottled water not an easy option. For example, whenever my wife and/or I are going to be staying overnight at one of the budget hotels we patronize in Santiago and Santo Domingo, we take Purrissima with us. We fill up empty bottles of drinking water with water from the faucet, pour in several drops of Purrissima, shake, and drink., Have been doing this for years.

PIurrissima is a water purification treatment that is very effective. We also use it to wash lettuce, etc., in the house before making salads.

Their are ratios on the bottle. For a gallon of drinking water, use 8 drops.

It comes in a blue bottle. There are small bottles you can carry with you, and large bottles for home use. It is sold in most pharmacies and some supermarkets.

We wouldn't be without it when we travel in the country.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Shadley000

Your "Classism" is showing! The "locals" do indeed,drink the water! Just the "locals" with money buy bottled water.Guess you don,t get to "Simon Bolivar", Capotillo",o "Los Minas" to often!Bet you can,t show me a good "Fritura" either! Criss Colon....Ken,I hope you don,t eat salad outside your house,cause all the hotels and restaurants "ran-out" of "Purisima" in1997!

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Don't drink the water

Locals that can afford it do drink bottled water and in the Capital and Santiago I find that even the poor drink bottled water in most homes. There are good travel filters. Those that drink contaminated water will feel the affects over the long run. It will slowly damage organs and lead to health problems later on in life. There are some water systems in the country who do have clean water, but these are few.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tom F

I see the "Bottled Water" trucks "filling up" bottles from the city water lines infront of the zoo almost every day! Guess you missed the scandal a few years back when there was a "Test" of all the major water companies bottled water. Lots of e.coli for all the rich people drinking bottled water. Criss Colon

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
So, we've established that some people do indeed drink the tap water in the DR, and apparently they are still alive to talk about it... so that means it is possible to build up an immunity to whatever evil little bugs are swimming around in the water... yes?
If this is the case, then, how long would it take a person to develop this immunity (or would the process kill you?)

Christina

Jan 9, 2002
not so doungares. I also sometimes drink the water. I'm living here 4 1/2 years, but I guss after 1 year you can risk it , the water will not kill you ( immediately )

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
jjsk said:
some people do indeed drink the tap water in the DR, and apparently they are still alive to talk about it... so that means it is possible to build up an immunity to whatever evil little bugs are swimming around in the water... yes?

Many people in the DR are in very poor health, are always sick and/or have parasites.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I think you can't escape ingesting it...Your dishes are washed in it, you shower in it, you may (or may not) brush your teeth with it, restaurants cook with it and wash their produce in it (if the produce is at all washed)...

I've always thought that the rampant kidney ailments might be due to the water...You know, 'mal de los ri?ones'. I'm not a doctor, so I could be wrong...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Jane J.[/B] said:
I've always thought that the rampant kidney ailments might be due to the water...You know, 'mal de los ri?ones'. I'm not a doctor, so I could be wrong...

I am not a doctor and I don't have any statistics, but I've noticed that we Dominicans blame on our kidneys any lower back aches that we may have. It is true what you say, even if we don't drink the water (I wouldn't even advice an enemy to do it) we use it for many things. I am sure we must have developed a certain inmunity to whatever is in the water.

Honey

Jan 26, 2002
Hee hee, Pib, you're right! Most physical ailments can usually be attributed to one of the following:

Sufrir de azucar

Presion

Los rinones

Anemia

Parasitos

I think most people don't really want to know what's wrong with them and are happy when the doctor tells them that they have any of the above.

But why do so many people have lower backaches in the DR? It's not really normal, is it?