punta cana/catalonia bavaro/ 1st time in DR! need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnygirl

Jan 22, 2002
My husband and I are going to the DR for the first time next week. He just wants to relax but I want to experience some local day and nightlife. If we only do 1 or 2 things, what is the most recommended? (Our travel agent, who has not been to DR but whose friends have been, recommended a jeep tour and swimming with the dolphins? We do not scuba dive.)

Are there any good local clubs/bars that we can walk to (a mile or so is not a problem)--heard our hotel is out of the way?

Also, will we have to get up at 6 am for a palapa? We specifically picked this resort bec. we didn't want to have this problem.

Also, is it necessary to tip since it is an all inclusive resort? If so, who and how much? Don't want to offend...

What foods/drinks are a must to try. We're not of Dominican or Spanish background so we have no clue.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice for our trip...

Last edited:

Munichchick

Aug 9, 2012
Honestly we always tip at any AI resort we go to. The local employees work so hard, so many hours and make so little income paid by the resort. They truly appreciate any tip you would give them. We typically bring $100 in dollar bills for a 1 week stay. We also tip our maids between $3 and $5 per day depending on how good they take care of our room. We don't tip for every singe drink at the swim up bar but we do tip every time they bring drinks to us at the beach chair or around the pool. We also tip the waiters in the restaurants depending on how good the service is and sometimes the shuttle drivers if they go out of their way to pick us up or take us somewhere.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1 Munichchick, but do you realise you're replying to a 10-year old post? Best to start your own thread.

Mods, aren't these old threads supposed to be locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.