Is "the process" getting better or worse?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Since I arrived here in the DR full-time, I've had no choice but to slog through and endure "the process". You know that generic term we used to describe the often painfully slow and cumbersome steps required to apply for govt services, open a bank account, get licenses etc.

I don't have much of a history to compare my experiences to but I swear at least some things appear to be getting slower not faster.

45 days to get a driver's license - at least two personal visits to the office required.
Almost year to have your completed residency application stamped and approved

The oft spoken phrase - "we'll call you when its ready" is but a joke. Clerks seem really good at flipping through he stacks of submitted paperwork and sometimes, point out errors or omissions. If however, your paperwork is accepted and a problem presents itself later on, right to the bottom of the pile goes your file. No phone call, no email no nothing to indicate that some further action is required. It's up to you after six months to try and figure out if all is well or not.

Is it getting better or is it getting worse?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I used the VIP ( which was passed on to Hardly) and had no problems.... 4 yrs ago.

I renewed this year at the 'mobile unit' that travels the north coast.
It is based in Rio San Juan and visits Nagua, la Entrada, Cabrera... et al.

The rub is that I had trouble finding a schedule... never did, other than it returns to RSJ at month's end.
With a July 31 cumpleano and an expiring licencia that day, it worked smoothly.

Just in time - more good luck than good planning.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Overall I think a lot of the government processes have improved. 2 years ago we renewed our residency and cedulas. They actually changed one of them so they both expire the same time now. Plus the residency could be done in Veron not SD. Last year we renewed our drivers licenses and it took a half hour start to finish.
Being from Canada we did not have to go through the "process" of taking drivers tests. We had to prove we had a valid Canadian license and just paid more money. I don't know if you can still do that.
We also never any bank issues to speak of other than they want a copy of a passport on every visit. That really gets frustrating.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I did renew my residencia now two times. Happened fast and without any waiting in lines. I used a "VIP service" called "La Doctora" ;).

Driver's license was painless too but yes, two visits and some waiting. Have yet to see how renewal will be but still two years to go...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We also never any bank issues to speak of other than they want a copy of a passport on every visit. That really gets frustrating.

I carry a photocopy of my passport but now that I have a cedula in my wallet it would be nice if I could use that instead at the bank. However, opened the accounts with a PP so I guess that's the way it will be - at least until I feel like braving customer service and ask if my cedula can be linked to the accounts instead of my passport.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
melphis,
I don't understand about the passport issue....
yes, sometimes they ask me for it - but they have it right on the screen so I just copy the number.

I use a debit card/ATM most times.
It was down y'day so I used a human...
needed a signature and my cedula number on the withdrawal slip....

The residency renewals are a pain..
hopefully , I get a 10 yr next time.
I'll be on the cusp - just passing into the 10yr zone.
My understanding is after 10yrs, you qualify for 10 yrs............ fingers crossed

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At least getting a Claro account got much easier with a cedula. Still took ages to get the installation done but the ordering of services from them no longer required a pint of blood.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hopefully this forum will be a trove of information....

answering the 'How To's', the 'Wheres', etc.

We'll see how many knew about the NoCoast Mobile Drivers' Licence office

Yes, Hardly- it goes to Gasping Hernandez

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"I feel like braving customer service and ask if my cedula can be linked to the accounts instead of my passport."

I just did that. Moved my accounts from Bavaro to Santo Domingo and did the change from Passport to Cedula here at my new branch. Took them around 2 weeks.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
melphis,
I don't understand about the passport issue....
yes, sometimes they ask me for it - but they have it right on the screen so I just copy the number.

I use a debit card/ATM most times.
It was down y'day so I used a human...
needed a signature and my cedula number on the withdrawal slip....

The residency renewals are a pain..
hopefully , I get a 10 yr next time.
I'll be on the cusp - just passing into the 10yr zone.
My understanding is after 10yrs, you qualify for 10 yrs............ fingers crossed

I think its a game for the girl at the bank. I never show her my pasport or cedula. I just point at the assistant manger and she says I'm ok. One time my wife was withdrawing money and the signature on file for that account is mine. The assistant manager came over and showed my wife the signature and asked if she could duplicate it

I came in a few minutes later so it worked out but they can still surprise me every now and then

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We also had no problem switching to cedula ids at Santa Cruz. The fun came when I needed to cash an insurance refund check at Banco Popular (their check their insurance co) and they refused my legal DR cedula id because I was American and needed to see my passport.You all would have enjoyed the entertainment as I pointed out to the manager after going through three other folks that they were refusing to cash their check for their insurance co for which I am a customer. Light dawned on Marblehead,pardon the New England pun, and they cashed their check.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
@ melphis
post #10

I believe it.... the system isn't as flawed as some would have us think..............

My withdrawal y'day needed a manager's code keyed in to the computer

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Some things here are considerably easier than in the UK. If you need to replace your atm card in the UK you need to wait weeks for a new one to be mailed to you - here you walk into the bank and walk out with a new card. Driving licenses much easier for non Americans as the embassy validates them and you just change for a DR one. A lot depends on how you talk to the people in charge and it is much easier if you speak Spanish and treat them with respect rather than frustration.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My most ingratiating excuse..........

Gracias para tu patiencia con mi espanol....

They bend over backwards to help me - and i learn more Spanish

win - win

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
my last renewals of the DL ben still with the frequently operating Mobile Unit of AMET.
i always managed to cut the long lines for an extra 300.- pesos.
that extra included to get my eye-exam brought down to me without doing the test and to be called "next" after just 10 minutes in a line which sure took over 2hrs for the last one to pass thru at the moment of my own arrival.
now(told by friends who did it, but no personal experience, yet), they have a head office from Amet in Higuey for the renewals where you renew your DL painless without any lines.
and there seems to be a Machine at Sirenas Super in Higuey where you can renew like the use of a ATM,
but didn't use such myself.
as for changing from passport to cedula on a bank account,
my partner did so at banco popular a couple weeks ago and been told it will be ready in a couple days to use the cedula from then on.
it worked, the next time at a BPD office he showed his cedula and could withdraw money without a hinch.
residency,
my last visit was back in 2011 for renewal, luckily i got the 10 years renewal,
so i will hopefully not have to visit again before 2021.
the renewal in 2011 was painless,
i paid 20.000.- pesos for 10 years residency and 1.000.- pesos for the VIP service.
it took me somewhere 90 minutes/less than 2 hrs from entering the office early morning til i had my new card for the next 10 years in hand.
the cedula renewal service is great since they moved a long while ago to the Foreign JCE office,
even when you have a line of people in front of you, they move quick and you are done painfree in no time.
over all,
comparing today's experiences to the experiences of 2 decades ago and one decade ago and 5 years ago,
I would say that most things have improved.
some more and some just a little,
but every time i feel that things work out better than they did some year before on the last reneal of the same thing/card/license etc.
so i would say they improve/progress.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
following FishMan

My mobile unit for driving just checked the box for my eyes.... no test.

I guess they figure if you can find them, you can see.

I see, said the blind man............