Legal protection of property

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hello

It occurred to me some time ago that if i got involved with a woman, or was sued, that my property might be at risk

What is the best way to protect my DR assets which includes houses and land?

And how much will it cost me approx?
thx

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Wow

So you invested in 'houses and land' in DR, presumably a foreign land to you, and never had legal advice to ask these questions and now ask a forum of strangers?

Yes there will be those that can give you some advice but why ask now?

I do hope you are a resident (suspect not because you didn't ask in the residents forum) and have all 'your eggs in a row' to start with.

Had you asked before investing my (and many others) initial advice for a single man, who I presume you are from your posting, would be to rent and keep assets secure and out of reach, and enjoy and develop a life here first, then take the plunge with legal advice.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Wow

So you invested in 'houses and land' in DR, presumably a foreign land to you, and never had legal advice to ask these questions and now ask a forum of strangers?

Yes there will be those that can give you some advice but why ask now?

I do hope you are a resident (suspect not because you didn't ask in the residents forum) and have all 'your eggs in a row' to start with.

Had you asked before investing my (and many others) initial advice for a single man, who I presume you are from your posting, would be to rent and keep assets secure and out of reach, and enjoy and develop a life here first, then take the plunge with legal advice.

your suspicions are wrong as are your presumptions

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Find a good atty and put the real estate into Corporate ownership as opposed to personal ownership like you probably have it now. You'll pay a yearly fee for the corp. maintenance but no one can touch the real estate.

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i met a guy/us/and he built two houses...then met a woman/married....he lost most...when she moved into the downstairs apt. and sued him...

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
if you decide to marry a Dominican woman (the most stupid thing that you can do in your life but anyway) just ask your lawyer to prepare a contrato de separacion de bienes before you get married and sign it with her with two witnesses and a notary. So what you had before you got married remains yours after the divorce. Very simple.

If you were sued..... for what exactly? There are not that many cases when somebody (or the Government) may take your property from you.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Find a good atty and put the real estate into Corporate ownership as opposed to personal ownership like you probably have it now. You'll pay a yearly fee for the corp. maintenance but no one can touch the real estate.

Finally, many thanks

Any ideas on the running costs/payments per year

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
What is the best way to protect my DR assets which includes houses and land?
thx

Take the woman out of the equation. Protect your property as a separate entity. In the DR, this is a Sociedad de Resposibilidad Limitada. (SRL). In the states, it is an LLC. This encapsulates your property as a company and protects from a lawsuit if someone is injured on your property. It also, and more to your point, casts it apart from any personal judgments if you word it that way in your contract. In addition, you can change it to this status after purchase, which, for several reasons, is how we do it.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
If I, a canadian woman, marry a dominican man who has properties and we divorce, do I get half of his stuff ???