No terrorism in the DR

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Since the majority of members can't get into the new forum this would be a good place to discuss "no terrorism" in the DR as long as it's kept DR related of course. ;)

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
No terrorism in the DR........
Just old fashioned terror....That said, I believe it is worth the risk....To some (many) it may not be.....

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
waytogo said:
I've been living here in Santiago for the past 9 years, and knock on wood, not one incident.
Maybe it's because I don't flash money and never wear any type of jewelry, not even a cheap watch.
I never go out at night unless I am with other people I know, and I stay out of areas known to be unsafe.

But aren't you referring to regular street crime, not terrorism? Big difference.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
But aren't you referring to regular street crime, not terrorism? Big difference.

Read post #1 in the "Residents Forum".........Where I posted and you transferred to this thread....

"No terrorism in the DR"

When I moved here in 2001, it was a delight to see the lack of terrorism. I had spent the previous 10 years in London and had been close to IRA bombs in the City of London twice. Terrorism was a way of life. Bags were searched everywhere you went. I came to the DR and not a bomb in sight. No one shoots kids in school, no one shoots people in cinemas or malls. I was saying this to my mother, what a joy it was to be in a country where there were no terrorists and she reminded me I was still shot (lol).

So what is better? To be in a country where there is no fear of random shootings or terrorist attacks or to be in a country where you will be shot for winning at dominoes or when someone wants to rob your house?

Matilda

Now, what do you think I was talking about........

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I was discussing that very same thing with my sister this morning. The fact that I feel darn safe here in the DR. I said that all those terrorists don't even know the DR exists...

And there is no statement to be made by attacking here.... LOL.... So sleep peacefully my little lambs, we are safe.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I wrote to my friends in Paris to make sure they are OK, and I received this lovely message back:

Tr?s ch?re Meems, merci pour ces pens?es qui font chaud au c?ur , merci au peuple am?ricain si proche en cette p?riode terrible ou la barbarie s'exprime dans l'horreur absolue ! ? Paris nous sommes t?tanis?s , atterr?s et nous savons que notre vie vient de basculer...je suis profond?ment triste comme je l'ai ?t? au moment des ?v?nements du 11 septembre . Paris aujourd'hui est ville morte. Tout est ferme: ?coles, mus?es, cin?mas, op?ra, th??tre, magasins , quelle trag?die !!!!!!Ma ch?re Meems, ton message est un rayon de soleil dans ce paysage sombre. Je t'embrasse affectueusement.

Her statement about the absolute horror of barbarism is spot on.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I wrote to my friends in Paris to make sure they are OK, and I received this lovely message back:

Tr?s ch?re Meems, merci pour ces pens?es qui font chaud au c?ur , merci au peuple am?ricain si proche en cette p?riode terrible ou la barbarie s'exprime dans l'horreur absolue ! ? Paris nous sommes t?tanis?s , atterr?s et nous savons que notre vie vient de basculer...je suis profond?ment triste comme je l'ai ?t? au moment des ?v?nements du 11 septembre . Paris aujourd'hui est ville morte. Tout est ferme: ?coles, mus?es, cin?mas, op?ra, th??tre, magasins , quelle trag?die !!!!!!Ma ch?re Meems, ton message est un rayon de soleil dans ce paysage sombre. Je t'embrasse affectueusement.

Her statement about the absolute horror of barbarism is spot on.

Translation.......

Mems dear, thank you for those thoughts that warm the heart, thank you so close to the American people at this terrible time and barbarism is expressed in absolute horror! In Paris we are stunned, appalled and we know that our life just changed ... I am deeply sad as I was at the time of the events of September 11. Paris is now dead city. Everything is closed schools, museums, theaters, opera, theater, shops, what a tragedy Meems !!!!!! My dear, your message is a ray of sunshine in this gloomy landscape. I affectionately embrace you.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Ma ch?re Meems, ton message est un rayon de soleil dans ce paysage sombre.

Meemselle, that is a wonderful message and your note to your friends was received warmly. You bring the same ray of sunshine to DR1 on a daily basis and we all appreciate it!

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
fortunately France, DR and USA share similar values and are close allies. hopefully we always will be. family relationships in the DR and USA make it likely we will only grow closer together. Personally, I think the US has a few things to learn from DR.

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
It's hard to believe that you have more peace of mind on a small impoverished island, even with its corruption and random violence, than in a world renowned cosmopolitan city. My prayers are with all the families who have suffered tragedy in the war of terrorism.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think it is a bad idea for anyone living here to think it (terrorism) could not/ would not
ever happen in the DR.
I can remember when people had this same attitude in Bali.

Apr 7, 2014
It's hard to believe that you have more peace of mind on a small impoverished island, even with its corruption and random violence, than in a world renowned cosmopolitan city. My prayers are with all the families who have suffered tragedy in the war of terrorism.
Maybe there is a relationship between internal stability and natural resources? In the Dominican Republic there is alot of arable land but no real globally valued commodities beyond agriculture. No oil, gold, chromium, copper, coltan, lithium, etc.

A piece of land with many natural resources has many foreign agent provocateurs all clamoring to get access to it for absolutely no financial expenditure. Piracy made to emulate international trade replete with excessive profiteering. All at someone elses expense. Why, if any place in the middle east(of somewhere) had so few natural resources and commodities to exploit why they would be the kindest places on Earth.
Shame what happened to those innocent, unculpable people in France but France has a lot of blood on its hands from prior colonial exploits and institutional genocide.

Of course in the olden days agricultural exploitation worked best with guys like Somoza, Arbenz and Trujillo.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think it is a bad idea for anyone living here to think it (terrorism) could not/ would not
ever happen in the DR.
I can remember when people had this same attitude in Bali.

one reason why i agree with you regarding the DR is because the DR was the only country in the region which supported the US war against Iraq. the other countries told Condi Rice to take a dump in a hat, while the DR actually sent troops there.

Apr 7, 2014
one reason why i agree with you regarding the DR is because the DR was the only country in the region which supported the US war against Iraq. the other countries told Condi Rice to take a dump in a hat, while the DR actually sent troops there.
Under Spanish command no-doubt, like real Europhilic sycophants. And when the train in Madrid blew up the Spaniards didnt hold the course...and that was all she wrote about that.

Still waiting on the GWBush war crimes indictment. Throw a couple at Cheney and Wolfowitz too.