Salt Build Up On Glass

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Does anyone have any idea how to actually remove salt spray build up on glass. I have tried pretty much everything I have read on line. These include vinegar, CLR, amonia, steel wool, Scrubbing Bubbles, razor blades, baking soda. If it was on goggle I probably tried it.

As a last resort I was going to order some SaltX out of Virginia. Has anyone tried this or am I just throwing good money after bad.
Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Elvis

I warned you about being too close...

I'll ask my girl in the morning for you---if you haven't got anything by then.... oops , Wed she comes again

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Elvis

I warned you about being too close...

I'll ask my girl in the morning for you---if you haven't got anything by then.... oops , Wed she comes again

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Please ask her. I think I will just have to live with cloudy glass. The joys of beach life

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
After cleaning with white vinegar, you can coat windows with windshield water repellant solution.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks Abuela. Problem is I can't get it clean enough to seal.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Mix a 4:1 solution of water to muriatic acid (one gallon of water to one quart of acid).

Wear rubber gloves.
Add the acid to the water

Clean a small section of the window at a time. Try not to let the solution come in contact with the window frame. Wipe on, catch any drips, wipe off. Repeat. Finish with a solution of vinegar and water (same ratio of water to vinegar) and a couple of drops of liquid dish soap.

Don't try this on windows that are hot or in direct sunlight. If the window is too hot, the liquid evaporates too quickly. If the window is in direct sunlight then it is probably too hot and the liquid will evaporate before eating the salt scale.

This solution works best as a soak, but it's not feasible or desirable to soak an entire window so you are left with wipe on wipe off.

Good luck.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks for the tips about using acid. I was really hoping to avoid anything that caustic. New glass might be a lot easier on the body

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my friend lives on the ocean..... right on the ocean.

her screens get so clogged she can't see out.........

what type of frames are your windows?
The salt only bothers the glass? Frames are good?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Haha. Its Melphis. Not Memphis or Elvis or Melvin. Just plain old Melphis. Pronounce it just like you spell it.
Back to the windows they are aluminum frame sliders. Plus 10 half panes in an aluminum railing. I think I might try the SaltX. My wife says I'm crazy because the salt has etched them but I'm not so sure.
Kinda scared to use acid.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There must be a solution (fix), not acid solution - hahaha

I don't like the acid and the drips on the lower apartments might cause you a problem

Sounds like you inherited this problem... if so, go new glass