Credit Card Frauds and Results.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
I've read a lot in the forum, of people that are often scared of using their Credit Card here, my question is:

Have you ever being involved in a Credit Card Fraud, and what the outcome of it?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Once, I had my Chase (US) card compromised.
I suspect at the SDQ car rental when were frequent visitors, building a house.

Chase rectified the problem quickly.

Recently, I use foreign cards at Playero and have a local (RD) debit card which I use sparingly at Playero and gas stations.
No problems with either.

For internet purchases, I have a dedicated card.... and block all my other cards from internet buying.
Not possible to steal my main cards, just the one.

The Chase Fraud Dept came up with that idea.

The scuttlebutt here always is that the clearing center steals the card data.... I don't agree.

In my case, the rental agency wrote down my card number for entry....
they had a record of it.

Basically, one problem since 2008........... and i think know where/why

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Never in 18 years here. International CC used but always issued by Dominican Banks, not foreign banks where might be more fraud going on with I suspect.

I do not pay everywhere with my CC's. Besides from online shopping I use them here in the big supermarkets, renowned restaurants, pharmacy chain store, gasoline station, tpago, EdeSur.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When I first arrived here I used my Canadian MC to pay for my health insurance with the broker. Days later I was purchasing stuff in Indonesia that I didn't need or want.

I informed the bank, they issued a replacement card and voided the charges to me. At renewal time, due to poor customer service and the CC incident, I chose a different broker.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Never in 18 years here. International CC used but always issued by Dominican Banks, not foreign banks where might be more fraud going on with I suspect.

I do not pay everywhere with my CC's. Besides from online shopping I use them here in the big supermarkets, renowned restaurants, pharmacy chain store, gasoline station, tpago, EdeSur.

I did say some time ago I never would use a CC with any Dominican company but I changed my mind since I believe being careful, having a locally issued CC and choosing where to use it does minimize the risks a lot. And of course for safety reasons not having to carry too much cash around...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm with you Mike, only sparingly pull out the card.

7-8,000 pesos at Playero or an SD hotel.......that sort of thing

The debit card gets regular ATM use, again rarely meets a retailer

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Sometimes I get surprised, I use my CC everywhere, and I've never had to deal with something like that, but I know some people, that barely uses their CC, or only uses them on Gas Stations, and are constantly being cloned or anything similar.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I had my card skimmed at a gas station. Credit card company called to say they froze the card due to simultaneous charges at two Home Depots one in Florida one in California, they fedexed new cards straight away. Charges were removed from my account.We went to the gas station to complain and were told a new employee had purchased a new motorcycle within the first week of employment raising a red flag and was now an ex employee because we were one of many who had been skimmed. Seldom use our credit card now.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have put thousands of US$ through my Banco Popular international card over the past 10 years.
I have used it online, in the DR and in about 15 different countries to date and only ever had one problem and that was recently. They blocked my card due to suspected fraud and issued a new one. They sent it DHL to Colombia at no cost.

The points also add up, I have used them to buy tickets, store credits and pay off my RD$ card.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the only fraud on my card issued by a german bank, happened 25 years ago and not in the DR.
been reimbursed quickly, never found out who/at which point it was compromised,
as i traveled by that time for several years thru the usa and used the cards many times on daily bases for almost everything.
the fraud been, that my credit card statement showed a 2.500.-US$ purchase at a warehouse in a City in Colorado, a City i never visited in my live, lol.
the german bank took care of it and i got my money back.
here in the DR for many many years i used my german issued master card at ATM's,
back in time it was a good and cheap/low fee way to transfer money from my paypal into my hands.
never any problem with that one.
todays i use that foreign CC only online, and often/frequently, never a problem with that, but i only use it a online stores where i know well that they are reliable.
within the DR since a while i use only my dominican issued debit card, but only at selected businesses and at a handful reliable ATM's. i would never use it at a gas station, as i know 3 friends who had their cards compromised at gas stations in DR, so i don't trust 'em.
for normal purchases i take money from the bank or out of a ATM, mostly i use the drive in of a bank and take what's needed for the next few days,
for bigger purchases i write a check or do a bank transfer on the computer or smartphone.

Mike

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I am a retired Canadian living here for over 14 years I was in Santa Domingo hotel and it was cancel by my bank and when I called they said that the card number was used in Mexico. They did not charge anything to me and sent me a new card.
About 6 years ago I had a problem with a Canadian MC the card and when I called them they said it was OK but in the conversation he asked where do you live I told him it was the DR they cancel my card over the phone. The card I used for 25 years and when the cancelled it had a $200 over payment and it took a year to get my money.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right, living outside Canada ( or the USA) will void the card....in most cases

When I moved to the US in 1995, all my cards died.
and your credit does NOT cross the border... start all over again..

Being the American way... I was inundated with cards in 6 months.....

Bloomhaven

Apr 19, 2007
I have lived here for 8 years and haven't had a problem, but I have only used my credit card a few times. I use the debit card to withdraw cash and pay cash for almost everything. I was a little worried when I first moved here because I had heard a lot of stories about problems with bank machines, but haven't had any problems with that either.