Washington Heights Gentrification?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is an article from earlier this year, anyone know if they all were actually evicted?

A MANHATTAN LANDLORD IS EVICTING AN ENTIRE BLOCK OF LATINO BUSINESS OWNERS

Punta Cana looks like your childhood friend?s grandmother?s kitchen circa 1995. The 600-square-foot Dominican restaurant at 3880 Broadway in Washington Heights has little in the way of d?cor. There's a blue-green ? and some places bleach-stained ? counter that runs the entire length of the room. There are just two tables, each with two chairs, that sit in a corner, up against an imitation-wood back wall.

This is the kind of neighborhood joint in which the menu is entirely in Spanish (with no pictures), most patrons order in Spanish (the mofongo is popular), and the three women behind the counter greet you in Spanish (??Mi amor!?). It doesn't have a website. It has stood for at least 40 years at the corner of Broadway and West 162nd, but over the last several months Angel Santos, who has owned the restaurant with his family since 1997, has been fighting to keep it for another 40.

Punta Cana will most likely close its door in the next few weeks, when a judge is expected to order the restaurant?s eviction.

?There?s not much we can do,? Santos?s daughter Jacelyn Santos tells the Voice. ?Honestly, I would have preferred that he let it go earlier, but I understand this was more of an emotional decision that he made.?

In 2012, real estate investors Israel Weinberger and Steven Neuman of Coltown Properties bought the building in Washington Heights as part of a $31 million real estate deal that included five rental buildings in the area. The buildings housed 217 rental units and 12 small businesses, of which Punta Cana was one. The acquisition by Coltown was part of a new trend of investors looking uptown for real estate holdings in a hot new market in the Upper Manhattan neighborhoods of Hamilton and Washington Heights.

When the building sold, says Quenia Abreu, the president and CEO of the New York Women?s Chamber of Commerce, the new owners declined to renew the commercial rental leases at 3880 Broadway. When a lease is not renewed, whether for a residential or commercial tenant, landlords can continue renting to the existing tenant under an implied month-to-month agreement until the tenant moves out or a new lease is negotiated. That?s where the trouble usually starts for businesses that fail to force landlords to issue a new lease.

?Buildings are being sold in the community, new landlords are coming in with no regard to the community, to the businesses, even the residents that have been there a long time,? Abreu tells the Voice. ?You can open a business and invest your life?s savings, $100,000, $200,000. And when the lease expires, the landlord can say, 'I don't want you anymore, goodbye,' and give you 30 days.?

Representatives from Coltown Properties did not return repeated messages left by the Voice.

In March, seven businesses at 3800 Broadway, including Punta Cana, were given eviction notices and told to vacate by the end of April. The businesses' owners were each given the option of paying higher rent ? for the restaurant, nearly double the current rate of $5,000 a month. When the Santos family declined because they couldn't afford the new rent of $9,000, they were given another month?s extension and then another, when the Legal Aid Society and Councilmember Mark Levine rallied to the business owners? cause.

?It is not cheap to open a restaurant, so for them to pick up and leave in 30 days, it?s just not possible,? Abreu says. ?We forget that a lot of these community businesses are immigrant-owned, they are disadvantaged, low-income. They're not making a lot of money. They provide employment for themselves, for their family, and for other people in the community. But they're not a multimillion-dollar company. These are mom-and-pop stores.?

The Legal Aid Society?s Community Development Project was able to help the business owners by negotiating leave terms that included more time and relocation expenses. Susan Chase, an attorney with the project who handled the case, says the businesses had little legal recourse when they were told to vacate.

?Unfortunately, if there?s no lease, there?s not a lot a commercial tenant can do,? Chase tells the Voice. ?They don't have any rights to stay. They are at the end of the term and the courts are going to hold that the landlord can take its property back. You know, there?s no defenses to that if there?s no lease.?

Chase says when a landlord refuses to renew a commercial lease, it should signal to businesses that they are in a precarious position and should view it as a warning. And at this point, no law exists in New York to protect commercial renters against these unfair business practices. In this case, though, Chase says the landlord was more than amenable.

?The landlord was flexible,? Chase says. ?He'd initially given them 30 days then realized they needed more time, then reissued and gave them another 30 days. They had asked for June 30th and he was willing to give them until June 30th to leave. So it wasn't like ? I don't want to demonize this person. And then he made it a little bit more attractive if they left a little earlier. And many of them were willing to do that.?

Levine has been highlighting the issue of these disappearing businesses because, he says, there is not as much attention paid to the epidemic.

?All the attention in the press is going to the residential displacement, but what small businesses are facing in commercial rents is in essence even worse because there?s far fewer protections,? he says.
Levine says the city should be increasingly concerned with these community businesses because they are vital to the economy. Levine, a Democrat, represents District 7, which includes West Harlem and a portion of Washington Heights.

?I reject the notion that bringing in higher-paying tenants equals economic development,? he says. ?The longtime tenants, they are community-based, many are local entrepreneurs. They're hiring locally, they're producing economic activity in the neighborhood, they're providing a way to earn a living for people in the neighborhood.?

Punta Cana is the only business that decided to stay and fight the evictions. Chase believes one reason the Santos family took the landlord to court is because, ultimately, their options are limited. Angel Santos, the owner, is nearly 80 years old.

?I don't know if he can really leave at this point in his life,? Chase says. ?It?s not about starting over. I feel it?s unfortunate we don?t negotiate [leases] sooner.?

Kirsten Theodos, an organizer with TakeBackNYC, a grassroots organization dedicated to empowering and protecting the lives of small-business owners, says the New York City Council needs to pass a law to protect these longtime, minority-owned businesses.

?They're being discriminated against, basically,? she says. ?Everyone in the city unanimously agrees that what?s going on with the rent laws is a debacle. You have councilmembers getting arrested in Albany standing up for [residential] rental rights, but the same councilmembers haven?t said a peep on commercial tenant rights. How is that different? Don?t small businesses deserve rights like residential renters? What?s the difference??

Theodos says there is already a proposed bill, the Small Business Jobs Survival Act, before the City Council that would protect these businesses, but it doesn't have enough sponsors to bring it up for a hearing. Councilmember Levine, who is a sponsor of the bill, believes it could make a difference.

?The real estate industry is pushing back and will continue to push back,? he tells the Voice. ?I think that?s unfortunate. I think it?s shortsighted.?

Levine says he's seen this scenario play out time and again across the city: Landlords raise the rent on their commercial tenants, the tenants can't pay and are forced to move out, chain stores and restaurants move in, and the local fabric of the community is destroyed.

"The money earned in that establishment leaves the neighborhood, and people who work there are less likely to be local,? he says. ?The management is less likely to be local. I?d much rather see local businesses hire people from the neighborhood and reinvest in the neighborhood. The smartest people in real estate know that neighborhoods are more valuable, therefore their property is more valuable, when they have character. Those are the kinds of places people want to live in. People today do not want to live in the middle of a suburban-style shopping mall.?

Punta Cana is slated to go to court on July 2 to receive a final judgment. Jacelyn Santos is not optimistic.

?It?s heartbreaking,? she says. ?To see that area gentrifying like that ? I totally get it; it?s money. It?s just horrible, though. We sit there through the shootings. We were there early. And now that it?s changed, it?s safer, we gotta go. What can we do??

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/a-...ntire-block-of-latino-business-owners-7268863

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is an article from earlier this year, anyone know if they all were actually evicted?

Punta Cana looks like your childhood friend’s grandmother’s kitchen circa 1995. The 600-square-foot Dominican restaurant at 3880 Broadway in Washington Heights has little in the way of d?cor. There's a blue-green — and some places bleach-stained — counter that runs the entire length of the room. There are just two tables, each with two chairs, that sit in a corner, up against an imitation-wood back wall.

This is the kind of neighborhood joint in which the menu is entirely in Spanish (with no pictures), most patrons order in Spanish (the mofongo is popular), and the three women behind the counter greet you in Spanish (“?Mi amor!”). It doesn't have a website. It has stood for at least 40 years at the corner of Broadway and West 162nd, but over the last several months Angel Santos, who has owned the restaurant with his family since 1997, has been fighting to keep it for another 40.

Punta Cana will most likely close its door in the next few weeks, when a judge is expected to order the restaurant’s eviction.

“There’s not much we can do,” Santos’s daughter Jacelyn Santos tells the Voice. “Honestly, I would have preferred that he let it go earlier, but I understand this was more of an emotional decision that he made.”

In 2012, real estate investors Israel Weinberger and Steven Neuman of Coltown Properties bought the building in Washington Heights as part of a $31 million real estate deal that included five rental buildings in the area. The buildings housed 217 rental units and 12 small businesses, of which Punta Cana was one. The acquisition by Coltown was part of a new trend of investors looking uptown for real estate holdings in a hot new market in the Upper Manhattan neighborhoods of Hamilton and Washington Heights.

When the building sold, says Quenia Abreu, the president and CEO of the New York Women’s Chamber of Commerce, the new owners declined to renew the commercial rental leases at 3880 Broadway. When a lease is not renewed, whether for a residential or commercial tenant, landlords can continue renting to the existing tenant under an implied month-to-month agreement until the tenant moves out or a new lease is negotiated. That’s where the trouble usually starts for businesses that fail to force landlords to issue a new lease.

“Buildings are being sold in the community, new landlords are coming in with no regard to the community, to the businesses, even the residents that have been there a long time,” Abreu tells the Voice. “You can open a business and invest your life’s savings, $100,000, $200,000. And when the lease expires, the landlord can say, 'I don't want you anymore, goodbye,' and give you 30 days.”

Representatives from Coltown Properties did not return repeated messages left by the Voice.

In March, seven businesses at 3800 Broadway, including Punta Cana, were given eviction notices and told to vacate by the end of April. The businesses' owners were each given the option of paying higher rent — for the restaurant, nearly double the current rate of $5,000 a month. When the Santos family declined because they couldn't afford the new rent of $9,000, they were given another month’s extension and then another, when the Legal Aid Society and Councilmember Mark Levine rallied to the business owners’ cause.

“It is not cheap to open a restaurant, so for them to pick up and leave in 30 days, it’s just not possible,” Abreu says. “We forget that a lot of these community businesses are immigrant-owned, they are disadvantaged, low-income. They're not making a lot of money. They provide employment for themselves, for their family, and for other people in the community. But they're not a multimillion-dollar company. These are mom-and-pop stores.”

The Legal Aid Society’s Community Development Project was able to help the business owners by negotiating leave terms that included more time and relocation expenses. Susan Chase, an attorney with the project who handled the case, says the businesses had little legal recourse when they were told to vacate.

“Unfortunately, if there’s no lease, there’s not a lot a commercial tenant can do,” Chase tells the Voice. “They don't have any rights to stay. They are at the end of the term and the courts are going to hold that the landlord can take its property back. You know, there’s no defenses to that if there’s no lease.”

Chase says when a landlord refuses to renew a commercial lease, it should signal to businesses that they are in a precarious position and should view it as a warning. And at this point, no law exists in New York to protect commercial renters against these unfair business practices. In this case, though, Chase says the landlord was more than amenable.

“The landlord was flexible,” Chase says. “He'd initially given them 30 days then realized they needed more time, then reissued and gave them another 30 days. They had asked for June 30th and he was willing to give them until June 30th to leave. So it wasn't like — I don't want to demonize this person. And then he made it a little bit more attractive if they left a little earlier. And many of them were willing to do that.”

Levine has been highlighting the issue of these disappearing businesses because, he says, there is not as much attention paid to the epidemic.

“All the attention in the press is going to the residential displacement, but what small businesses are facing in commercial rents is in essence even worse because there’s far fewer protections,” he says.
Levine says the city should be increasingly concerned with these community businesses because they are vital to the economy. Levine, a Democrat, represents District 7, which includes West Harlem and a portion of Washington Heights.

“I reject the notion that bringing in higher-paying tenants equals economic development,” he says. “The longtime tenants, they are community-based, many are local entrepreneurs. They're hiring locally, they're producing economic activity in the neighborhood, they're providing a way to earn a living for people in the neighborhood.”

Punta Cana is the only business that decided to stay and fight the evictions. Chase believes one reason the Santos family took the landlord to court is because, ultimately, their options are limited. Angel Santos, the owner, is nearly 80 years old.

“I don't know if he can really leave at this point in his life,” Chase says. “It’s not about starting over. I feel it’s unfortunate we don’t negotiate [leases] sooner.”

Kirsten Theodos, an organizer with TakeBackNYC, a grassroots organization dedicated to empowering and protecting the lives of small-business owners, says the New York City Council needs to pass a law to protect these longtime, minority-owned businesses.

“They're being discriminated against, basically,” she says. “Everyone in the city unanimously agrees that what’s going on with the rent laws is a debacle. You have councilmembers getting arrested in Albany standing up for [residential] rental rights, but the same councilmembers haven’t said a peep on commercial tenant rights. How is that different? Don’t small businesses deserve rights like residential renters? What’s the difference?”

Theodos says there is already a proposed bill, the Small Business Jobs Survival Act, before the City Council that would protect these businesses, but it doesn't have enough sponsors to bring it up for a hearing. Councilmember Levine, who is a sponsor of the bill, believes it could make a difference.

“The real estate industry is pushing back and will continue to push back,” he tells the Voice. “I think that’s unfortunate. I think it’s shortsighted.”

Levine says he's seen this scenario play out time and again across the city: Landlords raise the rent on their commercial tenants, the tenants can't pay and are forced to move out, chain stores and restaurants move in, and the local fabric of the community is destroyed.

"The money earned in that establishment leaves the neighborhood, and people who work there are less likely to be local,” he says. “The management is less likely to be local. I’d much rather see local businesses hire people from the neighborhood and reinvest in the neighborhood. The smartest people in real estate know that neighborhoods are more valuable, therefore their property is more valuable, when they have character. Those are the kinds of places people want to live in. People today do not want to live in the middle of a suburban-style shopping mall.”

Punta Cana is slated to go to court on July 2 to receive a final judgment. Jacelyn Santos is not optimistic.

“It’s heartbreaking,” she says. “To see that area gentrifying like that — I totally get it; it’s money. It’s just horrible, though. We sit there through the shootings. We were there early. And now that it’s changed, it’s safer, we gotta go. What can we do?”

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/a-...ntire-block-of-latino-business-owners-7268863

Harlem went through it. it is now the turn of Washington Heights.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
“Buildings are being sold in the community, new landlords are coming in with no regard to the community, to the businesses, even the residents that have been there a long time,”

I watched the same thing happen back home after a hurricane. Heart breaking indeed.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Harlem has been changing since the Dutch left and the Irish showed up. It only makes sense to gentrify after all demographic which moved to the suburbs in the 50's and 60's to a 45 minute commute to Midtown are now suffering very expensive and time consuming journeys that eat away at their precious free time.

Last time I drove down my old block half the buildings were gone and the landmark Rexall drug store at 125th and what used to be Lenox turned into a Starbucks. That was 2006 and it was clear to me. Everybody gets a turn in the barrel.

[video=youtube;Nxrj_msgv6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxrj_msgv6E[/video]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Harlem has been changing since the Dutch left and the Irish showed up. It only makes sense to gentrify after all demographic which moved to the suburbs in the 50's and 60's to a 45 minute commute to Midtown are now suffering very expensive and time consuming journeys that eat away at their precious free time.

Last time I drove down my old block half the buildings were gone and the landmark Rexall drug store at 125th and what used to be Lenox turned into a Starbucks. That was 2006 and it was clear to me. Everybody gets a turn in the barrel.

yup, GD, gas was 40 cents per gallon when they ran away, and tolls were 25 cents. now, just a day?s tolls busts the budget. how better to fix that ailment than to outspend the guys who were already there, and run them out of town. i mean, they have to go further uptown, above Columbia University. downtown is already taken.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008

Punta Cana looks like your childhood friend’s grandmother’s kitchen circa 1995. The 600-square-foot Dominican restaurant at 3880 Broadway in Washington Heights has little in the way of d?cor. There's a blue-green — and some places bleach-stained — counter that runs the entire length of the room. There are just two tables, each with two chairs, that sit in a corner, up against an imitation-wood back wall.

This is the kind of neighborhood joint in which the menu is entirely in Spanish (with no pictures), most patrons order in Spanish (the mofongo is popular), and the three women behind the counter greet you in Spanish (“?Mi amor!”). It doesn't have a website. It has stood for at least 40 years at the corner of Broadway and West 162nd, but over the last several months Angel Santos, who has owned the restaurant with his family since 1997, has been fighting to keep it for another 40.

Punta Cana will most likely close its door in the next few weeks, when a judge is expected to order the restaurant’s eviction.

“There’s not much we can do,” Santos’s daughter Jacelyn Santos tells the Voice. “Honestly, I would have preferred that he let it go earlier, but I understand this was more of an emotional decision that he made.”

When the building sold, says Quenia Abreu, the president and CEO of the New York Women’s Chamber of Commerce, the new owners declined to renew the commercial rental leases at 3880 Broadway. When a lease is not renewed, whether for a residential or commercial tenant, landlords can continue renting to the existing tenant under an implied month-to-month agreement until the tenant moves out or a new lease is negotiated. That’s where the trouble usually starts for businesses that fail to force landlords to issue a new lease.

“Buildings are being sold in the community, new landlords are coming in with no regard to the community, to the businesses, even the residents that have been there a long time,” Abreu tells the Voice. “You can open a business and invest your life’s savings, $100,000, $200,000. And when the lease expires, the landlord can say, 'I don't want you anymore, goodbye,' and give you 30 days.”

In March, seven businesses at 3800 Broadway, including Punta Cana, were given eviction notices and told to vacate by the end of April. The businesses' owners were each given the option of paying higher rent — for the restaurant, nearly double the current rate of $5,000 a month. When the Santos family declined because they couldn't afford the new rent of $9,000, they were given another month’s extension and then another, when the Legal Aid Society and Councilmember Mark Levine rallied to the business owners’ cause.

“It is not cheap to open a restaurant, so for them to pick up and leave in 30 days, it’s just not possible,” Abreu says. “We forget that a lot of these community businesses are immigrant-owned, they are disadvantaged, low-income. They're not making a lot of money. They provide employment for themselves, for their family, and for other people in the community. But they're not a multimillion-dollar company. These are mom-and-pop stores.”

The Legal Aid Society’s Community Development Project was able to help the business owners by negotiating leave terms that included more time and relocation expenses. Susan Chase, an attorney with the project who handled the case, says the businesses had little legal recourse when they were told to vacate.

“Unfortunately, if there’s no lease, there’s not a lot a commercial tenant can do,” Chase tells the Voice. “They don't have any rights to stay. They are at the end of the term and the courts are going to hold that the landlord can take its property back. You know, there’s no defenses to that if there’s no lease.”

“The landlord was flexible,” Chase says. “He'd initially given them 30 days then realized they needed more time, then reissued and gave them another 30 days. They had asked for June 30th and he was willing to give them until June 30th to leave. So it wasn't like — I don't want to demonize this person. And then he made it a little bit more attractive if they left a little earlier. And many of them were willing to do that.”

“All the attention in the press is going to the residential displacement, but what small businesses are facing in commercial rents is in essence even worse because there’s far fewer protections,” he says.

“I reject the notion that bringing in higher-paying tenants equals economic development,” he says. “The longtime tenants, they are community-based, many are local entrepreneurs. They're hiring locally, they're producing economic activity in the neighborhood, they're providing a way to earn a living for people in the neighborhood.”

“I don't know if he can really leave at this point in his life,” Chase says. “It’s not about starting over. I feel it’s unfortunate we don’t negotiate [leases] sooner.”

“They're being discriminated against, basically,” she says. “Everyone in the city unanimously agrees that what’s going on with the rent laws is a debacle. You have councilmembers getting arrested in Albany standing up for [residential] rental rights, but the same councilmembers haven’t said a peep on commercial tenant rights. How is that different? Don’t small businesses deserve rights like residential renters? What’s the difference?”

“The real estate industry is pushing back and will continue to push back,” he tells the Voice. “I think that’s unfortunate. I think it’s shortsighted.”

"The money earned in that establishment leaves the neighborhood, and people who work there are less likely to be local,” he says. “The management is less likely to be local. I’d much rather see local businesses hire people from the neighborhood and reinvest in the neighborhood. The smartest people in real estate know that neighborhoods are more valuable, therefore their property is more valuable, when they have character. Those are the kinds of places people want to live in. People today do not want to live in the middle of a suburban-style shopping mall.”

“It’s heartbreaking,” she says. “To see that area gentrifying like that — I totally get it; it’s money. It’s just horrible, though. We sit there through the shootings. We were there early. And now that it’s changed, it’s safer, we gotta go. What can we do?”

This Is happening because Columbia University and Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center (NY Presbyterian Hospital) had
announced quite a number of years ago that they are gentrifying the entire area for their purposes, i.e new facilities for the
hospital, new hotel to house visiting professors, new areas for students etc etc. So these landlords most probably after they,
sadly, rid their buildings of the long-term businesses (mainly latino, though others too) will make a huge amount of
money$$$$$$$ when they sell to Columbia Univ.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Gentrification can cause short term pain but the long term benefits of the affected immigrant group moving into the greater Anglo culture and moving on from their ghettoized enclaves are many.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Gentrification can cause short term pain but the long term benefits of the affected immigrant group moving into the greater Anglo culture and moving on from their ghettoized enclaves are many.

Wrong (sorry for the like, lol :)) ! The affected immigrant group doesn't move into the greater Anglo culture, they are pushed out, because the newly gentrify is now beyond their means.
In this case, many Dominicans have been moving up to the Bronx.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Wrong (sorry for the like, lol :)) ! The affected immigrant group doesn't move into the greater Anglo culture, they are pushed out, because the newly gentrify is now beyond their means.

Yes, many will move into similar socio-economic environments but also environments with more English, more varied backgrounds etc. This will hopefully allow many to move on from the debacle of the Dominican American experience.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

Absolutely. They'll get pushed farther out and end up with either 2 hour bus rides or leaving underemployment in the city for underemployment in the suburbs or upstate. Anybody been to Rochester lately?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

They are builiding mall accross wich will host a Wholefood supermarket (without a doubt the most expensive supermarket, although the quality is very good).

images

I am sure you know it is gone too (rumored to reopen).

The good thing is that one of the trendiest restaurant in the city is also there : Marcus Samuelson's Red Rooster.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The real estate in Washington Heights is primed for gentrification. As aging landlords decide to sell, the buildings will be purchased for the sole purpose of realizing maximum profit.

With an influx of people with disposable dollars to spend on apartments, the rents will invariably go up, but so will the services the new tenants will demand. So in that regard the neighborhood will improve. Aside form the public housing units that are on the periphery of the neighborhoods in question, every residential building wil be up for grabs sooner or later.

When it comes to real estate, the goal should always be ownership. Without ownership, you will always be dictated to. Believe me, if these buildings and retail shops were owned by Dominicans, they would do the exact same thing-sell to the highest bidder. A particular ethnic group cannot claim ownership of any neighborhood if there is no ownership on their part.

It is also a bone of contention that you have an entrenched ethnic group who, for generation after generation, there is no "movin' on up" for them. These neighborhoods are supposed to be a transitionary stage towards a better life, not a last stop.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the people who get purged from a place like Washington Heights are not going to end up in Bedford Hills or Shrub Oak. if they had that kind of money, they would have been there already. they are going to be shuffled sideways, into yet another ghetto area of the city.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes that Village Voice article is 5 months old.
You used to be able to buy a brownstone in The Heights for a Millie, not the case any longer.

when i worked Manhattan in the early 90s, you could not give away some of the brownstones on streets like 127 or thereabouts. nowadays, you can?t buy them.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yes that Village Voice article is 5 months old.
You used to be able to buy a brownstone in The Heights for a Millie, not the case any longer.

There are stunning and huge apartments around the upper 150 th Street along the Hudson. Love that area, it reminds a little of Paris (but it s never been cheap there as far as I know).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
the people who get purged from a place like Washington Heights are not going to end up in Bedford Hills or Shrub Oak. if they had that kind of money, they would have been there already. they are going to be shuffled sideways, into yet another ghetto area of the city.

Many of them WANT to live in ghettos surrounded by their own. About 30 years ago, my Dominican sister-in-law came to live with us, beautiful Jersey Shore beach town, big house with her own room, safe surroundings, etc. She stayed less than 6 months, she hated it, moved to Washington Heights, where she stayed for almost 20 years. Her friends there swore she was lying when she said that her brother's house didn't have roaches. When she left WH, she moved to NE Philly, another Dominican ghetto.

Some people just want what's familiar to them. It's not only Dominicans. After my grandfather died, my grandmother moved to LI with her daughter. She hated it there and soon moved back to Brooklyn [Bushwick] into an old Italian neighborhood. Ironically, as many Italians left and/or died, Dominicans moved in. The last 10 years it too has become gentrified, real estate prices through the roof, so I presume the Dominicans are now moving on, if they didn't already. LOTS of them have moved to Freeport and Uniondale in Nassau County.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The areas within Washington Heights not prone to gentirfication are on the side streets from river to river, the shytty little tenament walk-ups that have been so poorly maintained they might as well be torn down.

The cost of renovating such buildings is so prohibitive that many property owners would rather sell so someone else can demolish them and create new housing, when landlords can then recoup the money invested and turn out a nice profit.

If you want to see the downside of all this, cross the river at 181st. Street into the Bronx, where many Dominicans are moving to because they are being proiced out of "Alto Manhattang". The loitering in front of bodegas, the rented room phenonemen, all add up to the continuance of poverty culture. Having transients in one's building coming and going is a real detriment, something that gentrification takes care of mercilessly.

Many of them WANT to live in ghettos surrounded by their own.

This I do not understand from this vantage point-why would you not want better for yourself? Way too many people who you refer to actually don't mind all the bad that comes with living in an impoverished ethnic enclave, even if they're not involved n any of the activities that make a bad neighborhood bad.

But you can't talk sense to people who have a skewed view of life.

Last edited:

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
A few years ago a landlord gave my friend 20K to give up his apartment in the Washington Heights. Washington Heights is prime real estate in the city that never sleeps.