Tele/ADSL Quality & Installation Wait

kaferro

Jan 21, 2002
First, I want to thank the DR1 providers and the frequent posters:this is an invaluable resource.

I am thinking about telecommuting from Santo Domingo for 6months. My problem is that I will need to be able to send/recieve e-mail fairly quickly upon arrival and I don't want to be spending several weeks in an internet cafe. So:

1. How long should I expect to wait for a telephone line installation (so I can use the dailup first)? How long should I expect to wait for ADSL access? Do the cell phones have internet access so I could recieve text e-mail (if so what is the expected cost/hookup time)?

2. When the other posters say that you will have to get used to a little bit of downtime with the phones/internet, what does this mean? An hour or two a day or for days at a time? I don't need to be in constant touch, but I do need to be able to send and receive a few e-mails a day.

Thanks again for your help.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
I'm not sure about Sto. Dgo., but on the North-Coast installation works pretty quick lately, you should have your ADSL in two weeks.
Internet via mobile phone is available with Codetel and works surprisingly well. I have my Nokia 6185i connected to my Laptop, and although it's only 19200 kps it works faster than the 56k dial-up connection.
Since I'm having ADSL at home, I don't even remember having downtime.