Corrupt Countries

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I just read the list of the top corrupt countries in the world. The Dominican Republic did not make the list. Haiti did. No surprise there.
I guess the government here is doing a better job than most of us complain about.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
I wouldn't say they are doing a great job at not being corrupt. It's just that so many other countries are doing a better job at being corrupt.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I wouldn't say they are doing a great job at not being corrupt. It's just that so many other countries are doing a better job at being corrupt.

I totally agree. This morning we went to Higuey in our crappy little sun faded car. Polica had a propina blockade set up in La Seiba. One look at the car and we where waved through. The Camry behind us that had shiny paint and tinted windows was pulled in. It was also at least 5 years older than our car.
I guess corupt greed has some blindness too.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
a little corruption is palatable, I hate standing in lines, only place I know you can park your car at the front door of a crowded restaurant and be seated for 10 bucks

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I just read the list of the top corrupt countries in the world. The Dominican Republic did not make the list. Haiti did. No surprise there.
I guess the government here is doing a better job than most of us complain about.

i am not aware of any list that tables corruption by country. i know of the perception index, which is compiled by asking citizens what they think of corruption in the country. the DR ranks better than it should because its people do not find it to be corrupt, even though it is horrendously corrupt.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think the list referred to , was compiled by US News ..they always seem to have the best 10 or the worst 10 of everything you can think of .As El Gorgon states, it is just by perception and has little validity . Well Derfish , there have been many examples of politicians doing it for duty in past years and centuries but now the system has changed.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As Derfish postulates, all systems are corrupt. It's just a question of whether that corruption is overt or covert.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

OR they bribed themselves off the list ;) ;) ;)
Corruption as an art :)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
i am not aware of any list that tables corruption by country. i know of the perception index, which is compiled by asking citizens what they think of corruption in the country. the DR ranks better than it should because its people do not find it to be corrupt, even though it is horrendously corrupt.

The list I read was on msn.ca It was a highlight of the top 20 least corrupt and 20 most corrupt. It was based on a scale of 100. The least corrupt being close to 100 while the most corrupt being close to 0. Somalia was the worst a 4. If I recall New Zealand was the best in the high 90's.
The web site changes daily but if your patient I'm sure you will find it

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

It's a matter of degrees. Yes, there is a lot of corruption in the DR but not to the degree of some of these 4th world countries, those without much infrustructure and almost no gov. programs for it's citizens.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Rather surprised the very significant news about the suspension without pay of 6 magistrates/judges had not made it to the DR forum yet. DR corruption again in the spotlight.

DR1 News .........

Attorney General after more judges

Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito has not ruled out other judges being investigated for irregularities in the course of their duties.

Dominguez Brito was talking to the press yesterday, Tuesday 17 November 2015, following the suspension of five judges who face accusations of belonging to a structure to manipulate judicial processes and release criminal suspects. Investigations by the Attorney General Office revealed that the structure acted as a corporation, and was organized by judges, employees, former judges and lawyers who made the legal system work from the inside to benefit paying clients.

El Dia reports that since 2012, people affected by the decisions of the judicial "mafia" had submitted complaints to the judiciary.

All five judges that have been suspended without pay will also be attending disciplinary hearings as ordered by the Judicial Branch Council (CPJ).

The judges, who were involved in cases that received press coverage as scandals are Jose Duverge Mejia, Roso Vallejo Espinosa and Victor Mejia Lebron of courts in the province of Santo Domingo, as well as judges Awilda Reyes Beltre and Delio German Figueroa of the National District. This is in addition to Francisco Valera Arias, resigning judge of the Judicial Branch Council (CPJ), who is allegedly the coordinator of the irregularities.

The Dominican Anti-Corruption Alliance (Adocco) has been demanding that the president of the Supreme Court of Justice and the Judicial Branch Council (CPJ) Mariano German Mejia report to the country on the real reasons behind judge Francisco Arias Valera's resignation.

The most recent notorious cases involve judge Awilda Ines Reyes Beltre of the National District, known for her decision to release the councilor for Pedro Brand, Erinson de los Santos, accused of contract killing. She also is known for having ordered the Attorney General Office to return the airplane said to belong to Jose Santoro of the collapsed Banco de Peravia, and for returning US$20 million to the Prado real estate company in the Torre Atiemar case involving Arturo del Tiempo, who is in jail for drug trafficking in his native Spain.

Dominguez Brito said that more people were probably involved and that they would continue to investigate. The Attorney General praised the Judicial Branch Council for investigating the cases.

So far there has been no mention of any investigations into the judge who changed a preventive custody sentence to house arrest for two French pilots, despite there being a 20-year sentence for cocaine trafficking that they were appealing.

The Judicial Branch Council has also ordered the Judicial Branch Inspectorate to investigate the recent dismissal of the charges against the Colombian brothers, Huber and Angel Maria Buitrago, accused of drug dealing, which was handed down last week by a court in San Cristobal.

The Institutionalism and Justice Foundation describes the situation affecting the Judicial Branch as very serious: "The accusation formalizes the serious complaints from several quarters and individuals in recent months, which pointed at penal judges for being directly responsible for rulings, acts and several decisions that were in violation of the law," stated Finjus, as reported in El Dia.

Diario Libre recalls that on 30 November 2012, then chief of Police Manuel Castro Castillo expressed his concern at a situation where most of the 4,856 accused criminals sent to court during his first five months at the helm of the Police were released.

Diario Libre reports that courts in the National District, Santo Domingo Province and San Cristobal are most frequently under investigation for controversial rulings by the judges.

http://almomento.net/procurador-no-...s-jueces-por-supuestas-irregularidades/155013

http://eldia.com.do/el-consejo-del-poder-judicial-anuncia-la-suspension-de-jueces/

http://eldia.com.do/sistema-judicial-fue-permeado-por-toda-una-estructura-mafiosa/

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...la-capital-bajo-el-ojo-cuestionador-CI1903235

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Rather surprised the very significant news about the suspension without pay of 6 magistrates/judges had not made it to the DR forum yet. DR corruption again in the spotlight.

DR1 News .........

Attorney General after more judges

Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito has not ruled out other judges being investigated for irregularities in the course of their duties.

Dominguez Brito was talking to the press yesterday, Tuesday 17 November 2015, following the suspension of five judges who face accusations of belonging to a structure to manipulate judicial processes and release criminal suspects. Investigations by the Attorney General Office revealed that the structure acted as a corporation, and was organized by judges, employees, former judges and lawyers who made the legal system work from the inside to benefit paying clients.

El Dia reports that since 2012, people affected by the decisions of the judicial "mafia" had submitted complaints to the judiciary.

All five judges that have been suspended without pay will also be attending disciplinary hearings as ordered by the Judicial Branch Council (CPJ).

The judges, who were involved in cases that received press coverage as scandals are Jose Duverge Mejia, Roso Vallejo Espinosa and Victor Mejia Lebron of courts in the province of Santo Domingo, as well as judges Awilda Reyes Beltre and Delio German Figueroa of the National District. This is in addition to Francisco Valera Arias, resigning judge of the Judicial Branch Council (CPJ), who is allegedly the coordinator of the irregularities.

The Dominican Anti-Corruption Alliance (Adocco) has been demanding that the president of the Supreme Court of Justice and the Judicial Branch Council (CPJ) Mariano German Mejia report to the country on the real reasons behind judge Francisco Arias Valera's resignation.

The most recent notorious cases involve judge Awilda Ines Reyes Beltre of the National District, known for her decision to release the councilor for Pedro Brand, Erinson de los Santos, accused of contract killing. She also is known for having ordered the Attorney General Office to return the airplane said to belong to Jose Santoro of the collapsed Banco de Peravia, and for returning US$20 million to the Prado real estate company in the Torre Atiemar case involving Arturo del Tiempo, who is in jail for drug trafficking in his native Spain.

Dominguez Brito said that more people were probably involved and that they would continue to investigate. The Attorney General praised the Judicial Branch Council for investigating the cases.

So far there has been no mention of any investigations into the judge who changed a preventive custody sentence to house arrest for two French pilots, despite there being a 20-year sentence for cocaine trafficking that they were appealing.

The Judicial Branch Council has also ordered the Judicial Branch Inspectorate to investigate the recent dismissal of the charges against the Colombian brothers, Huber and Angel Maria Buitrago, accused of drug dealing, which was handed down last week by a court in San Cristobal.

The Institutionalism and Justice Foundation describes the situation affecting the Judicial Branch as very serious: "The accusation formalizes the serious complaints from several quarters and individuals in recent months, which pointed at penal judges for being directly responsible for rulings, acts and several decisions that were in violation of the law," stated Finjus, as reported in El Dia.

Diario Libre recalls that on 30 November 2012, then chief of Police Manuel Castro Castillo expressed his concern at a situation where most of the 4,856 accused criminals sent to court during his first five months at the helm of the Police were released.

Diario Libre reports that courts in the National District, Santo Domingo Province and San Cristobal are most frequently under investigation for controversial rulings by the judges.

http://almomento.net/procurador-no-...s-jueces-por-supuestas-irregularidades/155013

http://eldia.com.do/el-consejo-del-poder-judicial-anuncia-la-suspension-de-jueces/

http://eldia.com.do/sistema-judicial-fue-permeado-por-toda-una-estructura-mafiosa/

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...la-capital-bajo-el-ojo-cuestionador-CI1903235

This will be interesting to follow - I've read they plan to reopen many of the cases these judges presided over.