Moving stuff questions

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I will be moving Jan 1 and intend on staying a while. I am in the process of getting the papers together for a residency visa.

Flying down AA, I am able to take 3 checked bags. After that it gets expensive. What is the best way to get the rest of my stuff down there so I don't have to pay import fees and get this stuff tied up in customs?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where are you moving from? Once we know that we can recommend mundanzas in your area to you.

Are we talking about clothing, or do you mean like a container load including furniture, etc.? Once you receive your residency, you will have 6 months to bring in a container of personal belongings duty free [within limitations - not 5 TVs, etc.]

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I will be moving Jan 1 and intend on staying a while. I am in the process of getting the papers together for a residency visa.

Flying down AA, I am able to take 3 checked bags. After that it gets expensive. What is the best way to get the rest of my stuff down there so I don't have to pay import fees and get this stuff tied up in customs?

For residency you will need to do a criminal background check from the country in which you are a citizen. Where are you moving to? What area in the DR? Three checked bags is a lot of stuff. The rest of your needs can be found in the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For residency you will need to do a criminal background check from the country in which you are a citizen. Where are you moving to? What area in the DR? Three checked bags is a lot of stuff. The rest of your needs can be found in the DR.

Are you kidding??? Next month we'll have 4 checked bags, plus we're shipping down a 55 gallon drum, a refrigerator size box, and 6 large boxes. And that's just this trip.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LTSteve lives frugally.....

I'm with you AE, once or twice a year I need a shipment....
My last was $135..... two big boxes (3' cubes each) and some miscellaneous wrapped stuff.

Some of the items - paint, etc - flunk the airline list.... only way to send it = mudanza

Paint Steve - BBQ's need frequent touch ups here.... High Heat BBQ paint

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Are you kidding??? Next month we'll have 4 checked bags, plus we're shipping down a 55 gallon drum, a refrigerator size box, and 6 large boxes. And that's just this trip.

".....and over here is our life-size train set."

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Moving from Miami to Puerto Plata.
Basically I just wanted clothes and kitchen stuff. I have a lot of computer stuff. 2 desktops and 4 monitors.
Everything else I realized that I can get down there.
Will Mundaza take stuff like lithium batteries from UPS power supply?
Does the criminal background need to be a local check, or an FBI check?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Moving from Miami to Puerto Plata.
Basically I just wanted clothes and kitchen stuff. I have a lot of computer stuff. 2 desktops and 4 monitors.
Everything else I realized that I can get down there.
Will Mundaza take stuff like lithium batteries from UPS power supply?
Does the criminal background need to be a local check, or an FBI check?

Lots of choices from Miami for mundanzas, and yes they will take lithium batteries and the UPS. You pay by size of box, not by weight, so load that baby up.

For the USA, background needs to be done by FBI, but I believe your local police dept will do the fingerprinting and send it off for you.

".....and over here is our life-size train set."

Ha! And I should add that everything we're bringing stays there, we leave all our clothing in the DR house. Some of the bulkier things this trip are 4 'outdoor' ceiling fans, tower fans, fixtures/hardware for the new bathroom we're building, breadmaker, pastamaker, stereo components [will buy the speakers there], etc. Also a pressure cooker and slow cooker for a DR1 friend. Etc., etc., you get the idea.

Two of the suitcases will be given away, two will come home filled mostly with coffee.