Orange Prepago Internet for the Casa

Apr 20, 2013
I am currently looking for a good prepago internet plan for my apartment. The providers all offer small wireless modems that broadcast the wifi signal. The current Orange 4gLTE modem prepago plan offers a maximum of 6GB per week (data) at an unknown speed. I tried to find out how the fast it was and got 4 different answers from 5 different employees ranging from 512kbps to 10mbps. Nobody can tell you how fast it is so I don't know how to compare the value with their competitors.

You would assume it would be fast considering it is 4G but when you order data prepago (3G) through your smartphone they cap it at 512kbps (Claro does not cap, I tested both) so if it was the same with the prepago modem plans it would be worthless. They charge $2,800 pesos just to buy the modem so it the speed is crap you just wasted that money plus the data you bought.

Does anyone use the Orange 4gLTE modem prepago plan? How many GB do you buy per week? Have you done a test to see how fast it is? If you could do a test at Speedtest [dot] net and post back here that'd be great.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I am currently looking for a good prepago internet plan for my apartment. The providers all offer small wireless modems that broadcast the wifi signal. The current Orange 4gLTE modem prepago plan offers a maximum of 6GB per week (data) at an unknown speed. I tried to find out how the fast it was and got 4 different answers from 5 different employees ranging from 512kbps to 10mbps. Nobody can tell you how fast it is so I don't know how to compare the value with their competitors.

You would assume it would be fast considering it is 4G but when you order data prepago (3G) through your smartphone they cap it at 512kbps (Claro does not cap, I tested both) so if it was the same with the prepago modem plans it would be worthless. They charge $2,800 pesos just to buy the modem so it the speed is crap you just wasted that money plus the data you bought.

Does anyone use the Orange 4gLTE modem prepago plan? How many GB do you buy per week? Have you done a test to see how fast it is? If you could do a test at Speedtest [dot] net and post back here that'd be great.

I use this exact internet. First thing to keep in mind, is that only trust what?s on the Orange website, the sales reps mostly know absolutely nothing.

With the prepaid plan, you purchase a specific GB amount (I use exactly that 6GB plan), and the speed is not set, but it?s the fastest that the signal strength and the modem can handle. A while back they published the theoretical highest speed on the website, which was 7.2 Mbps.

When the weather is good and the signal is good, I get easily to 3-4Mbps.

Also keep in mind, that you in fact only purchase GBs (unless you use the connection very little). If you consume the 6GB plan in two days, you can activate a new similar plan immediately, you are not restricted to wait the full week.

As far as I know, Orange only caps the velocity to 512 Kbps if you are on a monthly plan, and you have consumed your contracted monthly quote. This is not valid for prepaid plans. You have the highest possible speed that the network allows until you run out of either time or the GBs.

The modems are a bit expensive officially, but you might be able to negotiate a deal with your local (smaller) Orange shop.

Link to Speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4844371573 (Note: That?s far from the best result, that?s currently the weather affecting the result, and occasionally the speed drops a bit in the late hours)

EDIT/ADDITION: The signal with Orange varies greatly depending on your location. I?d recommend checking that before purchase, if you?d be using the connection in a set place. I have noticed that in some rather crowded places the signal drops to useless, whereas in the middle of nowhere I get easily 4G. So it?s not always logical as to where there?s good reception/signal/velocity and where not.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2013
Wow thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for.

The last employee I talked to seemed to be right, he said it would most likely be around 2-3mbps

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
I'm getting almost 15mb on download.

2cy1o5y.jpg

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Too much incorrect info above, sorry.

You can not trust Orange web site. It still shows 4G coverage only in SD central part -
https://www.orange.com.do/web/internet/cobertura-net

Yesterday's tests of 4G LTE modem on North Coast -

Sabaneta de Yasika -
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4842959282

Costa Azul (Sosua-Cabarete road) -
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4843084505

Orange has unlimited data plans now with limited speed-
https://www.orange.com.do/web/internet/planes-precios-y-beneficios
But I think those are not pre-paid, but contract prices.

Last edited:

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
And... External 900MHz yagi antenna placed on the roof of the house and connected to the modem increases the speed greatly.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Too much incorrect info above, sorry.

You can not trust Orange web site. It still shows 4G coverage only in SD central part -
https://www.orange.com.do/web/internet/cobertura-net

Just to be clear, if you go that far, no website can be trusted in DR. I was merely referring to the fact that the OP had consulted several sales reps with different answers, and I have myself seen Orange employees who know much less of their product than I do. Compared to that, I have found the pricing to be rather accurate on the website. Yes, you are right, I would not trust that graphic either.

Orange has unlimited data plans now with limited speed-
https://www.orange.com.do/web/internet/planes-precios-y-beneficios
But I think those are not pre-paid, but contract prices.

I believe the OP asked specifically about prepaid plans, and as far as I know, that page only refers to contracted plans. The prepaid plans (for computers) are not limited with speed, other than what hardware/signal limits.

Apart from the 4G coverage graphic, I hope there?s no more incorrect information?

Dec 18, 2015
How much would 6GB cost? Mostly I would use the data connect around Cabarete? The 3-4Mbps is enough for checking email and browsing websites.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
How much would 6GB cost? Mostly I would use the data connect around Cabarete? The 3-4Mbps is enough for checking email and browsing websites.

450 pesos (not visible on their website, seems that they have not updated that, only on the page where you activate your 6GB plan), you have to use it within 7 days, but the cut-off point is the midnight following the point of time when 7 days has passed, so in practice you can get close to 8 days.

They have an accurate data counter, from which you can check at any given time exactly how much have you used. It?s updated real-time.

Apr 20, 2013
Correct, sorry, I was referring to 3G.

wait, so the speedtest you posted was the Orange speed with your 3G modem?

I'm getting almost 15mb on download.

what internet plan are you using?

And... External 900MHz yagi antenna placed on the roof of the house and connected to the modem increases the speed greatly.

the speeds you posted are with the antenna? Also, are you using the prepaid Orange plan or the contract plan?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
wait, so the speedtest you posted was the Orange speed with your 3G modem?

Correct, however, keep in mind that I?m aware that where we live, the signal is far from the best. It varies even daily, even hourly, and this is what I?d consider when using Orange (the location). Claro is less fragile, but also more expensive.

Apr 20, 2013
does anyone know if the Huawei E5330 mobile modem that Orange sells is compatible with other providers in and outside of the country (Claro, etc). The guy working told me no it only works with Orange, but the modem comes in a regular box that is not branded by Orange so something tells me the guy is wrong and that it DOES work with other providers.... anyone know for sure?

If it does NOT work with other providers, anyone know if they sell the same or different modem at Jumbo or another store that can be used with multiple providers? If I'm going to spend $60+ for a modem I'd rather be able to use it in other countries.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
does anyone know if the Huawei E5330 mobile modem that Orange sells is compatible with other providers in and outside of the country (Claro, etc). The guy working told me no it only works with Orange, but the modem comes in a regular box that is not branded by Orange so something tells me the guy is wrong and that it DOES work with other providers.... anyone know for sure?

If it does NOT work with other providers, anyone know if they sell the same or different modem at Jumbo or another store that can be used with multiple providers? If I'm going to spend $60+ for a modem I'd rather be able to use it in other countries.

Log in to the modem as administratior, go to advanced setting, mobile network profiles and see if you can change anything there. Some branded Orange modems will allow you to change the network operators.

Apr 20, 2013
450 pesos (not visible on their website, seems that they have not updated that, only on the page where you activate your 6GB plan), you have to use it within 7 days, but the cut-off point is the midnight following the point of time when 7 days has passed, so in practice you can get close to 8 days.

They have an accurate data counter, from which you can check at any given time exactly how much have you used. It?s updated real-time.

how do I access the data counter?

side note: I ended up buying a used home 3G modem (huawei 260a) from some kid and I'm getting 2-4mbps speeds with the Orange prepago plan (which they restricted me to 3 gigabytes of data for the first week and won't allow me to recharge until a week has passed, makes sense right?)

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
how do I access the data counter?

http://www.orange.com.do/web/wapcatch/

Username: your Orange number
Password: the contract password that is stated in your contract (four digit number)

Orange prepago plan (which they restricted me to 3 gigabytes of data for the first week and won't allow me to recharge until a week has passed, makes sense right?)

How exactly do they reject the further packages? That does not make sense, indeed...

Apr 20, 2013
http://www.orange.com.do/web/wapcatch/

Username: your Orange number
Password: the contract password that is stated in your contract (four digit number)

How exactly do they reject the further packages? That does not make sense, indeed...

cool thanks for that...

they told me I can't recharge my card until a week has passed, even if I use the full 3GB before then...

no idea why a company would restrict you from buying their products