Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Orange Prepago Internet for the Casa

    I am currently looking for a good prepago internet plan for my apartment. The providers all offer small wireless modems that broadcast the wifi signal. The current Orange 4gLTE modem prepago plan offers a maximum of 6GB per week (data) at an unknown speed. I tried to find out how the fast it was and got 4 different answers from 5 different employees ranging from 512kbps to 10mbps. Nobody can tell you how fast it is so I don't know how to compare the value with their competitors.

    You would assume it would be fast considering it is 4G but when you order data prepago (3G) through your smartphone they cap it at 512kbps (Claro does not cap, I tested both) so if it was the same with the prepago modem plans it would be worthless. They charge $2,800 pesos just to buy the modem so it the speed is crap you just wasted that money plus the data you bought.

    Does anyone use the Orange 4gLTE modem prepago plan? How many GB do you buy per week? Have you done a test to see how fast it is? If you could do a test at Speedtest [dot] net and post back here that'd be great.

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tranquilo_dude View Post
    I am currently looking for a good prepago internet plan for my apartment. The providers all offer small wireless modems that broadcast the wifi signal. The current Orange 4gLTE modem prepago plan offers a maximum of 6GB per week (data) at an unknown speed. I tried to find out how the fast it was and got 4 different answers from 5 different employees ranging from 512kbps to 10mbps. Nobody can tell you how fast it is so I don't know how to compare the value with their competitors.

    You would assume it would be fast considering it is 4G but when you order data prepago (3G) through your smartphone they cap it at 512kbps (Claro does not cap, I tested both) so if it was the same with the prepago modem plans it would be worthless. They charge $2,800 pesos just to buy the modem so it the speed is crap you just wasted that money plus the data you bought.

    Does anyone use the Orange 4gLTE modem prepago plan? How many GB do you buy per week? Have you done a test to see how fast it is? If you could do a test at Speedtest [dot] net and post back here that'd be great.
    I use this exact internet. First thing to keep in mind, is that only trust whatīs on the Orange website, the sales reps mostly know absolutely nothing.

    With the prepaid plan, you purchase a specific GB amount (I use exactly that 6GB plan), and the speed is not set, but itīs the fastest that the signal strength and the modem can handle. A while back they published the theoretical highest speed on the website, which was 7.2 Mbps.

    When the weather is good and the signal is good, I get easily to 3-4Mbps.

    Also keep in mind, that you in fact only purchase GBs (unless you use the connection very little). If you consume the 6GB plan in two days, you can activate a new similar plan immediately, you are not restricted to wait the full week.

    As far as I know, Orange only caps the velocity to 512 Kbps if you are on a monthly plan, and you have consumed your contracted monthly quote. This is not valid for prepaid plans. You have the highest possible speed that the network allows until you run out of either time or the GBs.

    The modems are a bit expensive officially, but you might be able to negotiate a deal with your local (smaller) Orange shop.

    Link to Speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4844371573 (Note: Thatīs far from the best result, thatīs currently the weather affecting the result, and occasionally the speed drops a bit in the late hours)

    EDIT/ADDITION: The signal with Orange varies greatly depending on your location. Iīd recommend checking that before purchase, if youīd be using the connection in a set place. I have noticed that in some rather crowded places the signal drops to useless, whereas in the middle of nowhere I get easily 4G. So itīs not always logical as to where thereīs good reception/signal/velocity and where not.
    Last edited by josh2203; 11-18-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Addition re signal strength

  3. Likes ctrob liked this post
  4. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for.

    The last employee I talked to seemed to be right, he said it would most likely be around 2-3mbps

  5. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    4G LTE is only available in San to Domingo.

  6. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    4G LTE is only available in San to Domingo.
    Correct, sorry, I was referring to 3G.

  7. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm getting almost 15mb on download.


  8. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Too much incorrect info above, sorry.

    You can not trust Orange web site. It still shows 4G coverage only in SD central part -
    https://www.orange.com.do/web/internet/cobertura-net

    Yesterday's tests of 4G LTE modem on North Coast -

    Sabaneta de Yasika -
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4842959282

    Costa Azul (Sosua-Cabarete road) -
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4843084505

    Orange has unlimited data plans now with limited speed-
    https://www.orange.com.do/web/intern...s-y-beneficios
    But I think those are not pre-paid, but contract prices.
    Last edited by Bred; 11-19-2015 at 07:54 PM.

  9. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And... External 900MHz yagi antenna placed on the roof of the house and connected to the modem increases the speed greatly.

  10. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bred View Post
    Too much incorrect info above, sorry.

    You can not trust Orange web site. It still shows 4G coverage only in SD central part -
    https://www.orange.com.do/web/internet/cobertura-net
    Just to be clear, if you go that far, no website can be trusted in DR. I was merely referring to the fact that the OP had consulted several sales reps with different answers, and I have myself seen Orange employees who know much less of their product than I do. Compared to that, I have found the pricing to be rather accurate on the website. Yes, you are right, I would not trust that graphic either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bred View Post
    Orange has unlimited data plans now with limited speed-
    https://www.orange.com.do/web/intern...s-y-beneficios
    But I think those are not pre-paid, but contract prices.
    I believe the OP asked specifically about prepaid plans, and as far as I know, that page only refers to contracted plans. The prepaid plans (for computers) are not limited with speed, other than what hardware/signal limits.

    Apart from the 4G coverage graphic, I hope thereīs no more incorrect information?

  11. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How much would 6GB cost? Mostly I would use the data connect around Cabarete? The 3-4Mbps is enough for checking email and browsing websites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •