Topless beaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky

Jan 23, 2002
I am thinking of going to Puerto Plata next month. Are the beaches there topless? Also before I book the trip does anyone have any advice on a better place to stay rather then in Puerto Plata?

Becky

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Topless sunbathing is required

Puerto Plata is nice but the beaches in Punta Cana, Bavaro are among the nicest in the Carribbean. Good luck with your choice. By the way you must also sunbathe topless there as well.

Becky

Jan 23, 2002
Re: Topless sunbathing is required

Mcinbrass said:
Puerto Plata is nice but the beaches in Punta Cana, Bavaro are among the nicest in the Carribbean. Good luck with your choice. By the way you must also sunbathe topless there as well.

I am confused by your reply. You use the word "must sunbath toless" I don't think you meant to say the word must as I don't think any one Must sunbath topless. Maybe your trying to say at those beaches you can sunbath topless?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
All women must sunbathe topless...

at all of the beaches in the Dominican Republic. It is a requirement. In addition men must wear tongs. So go and enjoy yourself and tell us all about it when you return.

CanadianEh

Jan 5, 2002
I am not too sure how I go about wearing a "tong", it sounds painfull. I tend to use them for the BBQ and I'm not quite sure how well they would fit ( never mind the fact about cleaning after).

SwanSong

Jan 19, 2002
Crazy Cannuck!

That would of course be after you got the tongs out from the back shed buried to the rafters in snow... LOL

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
a real answer

at the nice resorts, they allow topless ONLY down by the beach, not by the pool.

I have NEVER seen a topless woman on a public beach in the city - or walking around many areas of different beaches...

as they say in R.D., someone is pulling your hair!

go topless if you want! but, look around and you will see it's the euro's, not the dominicans...

that's all.

peace, susan

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Topless sunbathing - - - >

If you will do a keyword search you'll find dozens of posts on the subject.

DR1 Forums > Message Archives > 2000 Archive > Topless sunbathing

The following is something (from the archive) that I penned some time ago:

Re: Topless sunbathing (WBDominicana :)

^ ^ ^ "Respectable (and less than respectable) Dominican females do not go topless; in fact, young girls there frequently wear a T-shirt OVER a swimsuit when on the beach. . ." ^ ^ ^

~ Estimada WBDominicana,

.................. edited version ..............

Ms. Dominicana, your response is exactly as I could expect from a proper Dominican lady of good upbringing. Nudity on public beaches (not resort controlled areas) in the context of a "Dominican family" outing just isn't proper, period. As you've stated "when in Roma" particularly applies
when children or grandparents are present.

On the beach areas directly controlled by a resort an entirely different situation occurs, the attendance of large numbers of Europeans and Canadians. What to do? The resort is in business to make money and the preponderance of guests are non Dominican. How can the resort reasonably require the offending guests (nude) to cover up? The all mighty dollar//peso rules in this case. I guess one answer would to post the beach with a warning, something about the presence of topless sun loving 'uro dollars' and 'loonies' (being spent).

Regards,

. . . CES

PS . . . my wife (una Dominicana) has just returned from holiday in the DR and commented on the 'toplessness' of Casa del Mar, it didn't bother her one bit, I was here in California and she was there. . . if you catch my drift . . . lol

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Topless for a day. . .

Hi carribeantravel,

Thank you for your reply and sorry that I've created a misunderstanding as to the interpretation of my message. Your response more less parallels one that I received when I originally made the post way back when. If you were to do an 'archive key word search' you could read the original messages, many dozen. When I wrote the piece I framed it in the context of my Dominican family's feelings on the subject of beach nudity. Also we must differentiate between being 'topless' and total nudity, as practiced by the "uro monetary units" folks. A great many (most/all/some) Dominicans frown on the idea of 'topless sunbathing' and total nudity is viewed as a taboo. Some Dominicans will make a distinction between 'sunbathing' and the actual act of swimming. In other words, "what ever" in the water , "cover up" on the beach are the orders of the day. ANY nudity off the beach area marks you as being disrespectful of what decent Dominicans feel is acceptable public behavior, period!

As to connecting Canadians to the 'Uros', most Dominicans will not make the distinction, a sort of 'gilt by association reputation' thing. On the
other hand your statement, "many holier than thou Yankees," is just once again the 'old bugaboo' of the "Ugly American" syndrome, "Los Yankeees feo", we gringos (well, some!) do have a reputation for behaving badly in foreign counties. . .

regards,

. . . CES

Last edited:

nzoudema

May 27, 2007
topless or nude beach??

I am going to puerto planta in july are there anynude beaches or can you go topless.:nervous:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Correct me if Im wrong but I thought topless and nude sunbathing is illegal here?? Is it??

Illegal per se, probably not, however, it is culturally frowned upon, of course, depending on the person (locals vs tourists), region (public beach, private tourist resort), etc. I've never heard of a tourist being arrested or even fined for nudity on a beach. If you are a tourist, you will most probably be given a warning and invited to cover your "private parts".

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
It should be "illegal" for many women...........(men too)....

........AZB told me that he is preparing to send out an implementation program system for all hotels and resorts in the DR that will "stop the QUANTITY madness" AND significantly INCREASE the QUALITY right at the door of said establishments. Green bands on the right hands means the woman is "way hot" and will be permitted to sunbathe anyway she wants.....Orange band on the right hand means "pretty darn attractive" and can sunbathe topless .....Red bands on the right hand means to you are must absolutely keep a bathing suit on all time (preferrably a full 1 one piece bathing suit with a robe).

AZB is also working on his system on how to keep those WAY OVERWEIGHT, obesily fat guys from wearing "speedos" and "thongs" on the beach.

Keep up the good work AZB!

P.S. AZB....beautifying the DR one tourist at a time..............

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Illegal per se, probably not, however, it is culturally frowned upon, of course, depending on the person (locals vs tourists), region (public beach, private tourist resort), etc. I've never heard of a tourist being arrested or even fined for nudity on a beach. If you are a tourist, you will most probably be given a warning and invited to cover your "private parts".

Thanks M, it doesnt to be enforced for the Russian putas, they were naked on the beach in front of my apartment again yesterday being photographed for their website. The Dominicans got wind of it and before we knew it hoads started arriving. The girls ran for it back into their organised brothel. They even have a canopied bed on the beach in front of the villa to entertain their
clients. I should start charging a viewing fee!! Their charge, I believe, is $2000 per hour and some mugs pay it

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thanks M, it doesnt to be enforced for the Russian putas, they were naked on the beach in front of my apartment again yesterday being photographed for their website. The Dominicans got wind of it and before we knew it hoads started arriving. The girls ran for it back into their organised brothel. They even have a canopied bed on the beach in front of the villa to entertain their
clients. I should start charging a viewing fee!! Their charge, I believe, is $2000 per hour and some mugs pay it

And where is this villa??? ;)

For the record, many touristas sunbathe topless in Cabarete, and they do not cause any kind of "scene", it seems completely accepted...Ive never seen a Dominicana do it though...

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I've sunbathed on topless (and nudist) beaches abroad in the past in the sort of places in Europe where people don't bat an eyelid - however, I really do believe that it's only polite to respect the natives of the country that you're visiting. If, as seems to be the case, the Dominican people frown upon topless sunbathing, then why take a chance on offending somebody? Particularly on Sundays when the beaches are most likely to be full of Dominican people and their families. Perhaps, in an enclosed AI resort it would be more acceptable. I would just 'play it by ear' and gauge each situation as it arises.

The only other point is, that if there aren't any other women going topless, it's highly likely that you'll get men (inc sankies) leering at you and singling you out for attention (yes, even with all the beautiful Dominican girls around, before somebody invariably brings them into it! :cheeky:)).Some women are happy with that, but if you're looking to relax it might be annoying.

Ladybird - you do realise, everybody's going to be trying to find out where you live now! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.