Dominican Airports on High Alert

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today's DR1 news:

Nation's airports on high alert

The Dominican Republic's international airports have been placed on a higher alert status following last Friday's terrorist attacks in Paris. Starting yesterday, Wednesday 18 November 2015, check-in procedures for passengers heading to cities in the United States and Europe are now lengthier. The director of the Specialized Corps of Airport Security And Civil Aviation, General Aracenis Castillo de la Cruz, ordered a security alert for all personnel at the Las Americas International Airport and the country's other international terminals. This measure may also have received some impulse after five Syrians were found in Honduras using forged Greek passports, and the fact that Russia announced that its plane that crashed in Egypt last month had been brought down by a bomb on board. As a result, baggage checks for overseas-bound passengers have become more rigorous, with each bag being checked thoroughly by hand. General Castillo de la Cruz told Listin Diario reporters: "Right now we have ordered a general alert for the personnel who control passenger services, not only at Las Americas but also in the country's other airports. He asked passengers, who have reacted with irritation at these new checks, for their patience and understanding. Castillo de la Cruz noted that his agency works in coordination with the International Civil Aviation Organization and the United States Transportation Safety Administration as well as agencies from European countries.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...a-seguridad-en-chequeo-de-pasajeros-XM1916347

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...ropuertos-dominicanos-tras-atentados-en-paris

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Flew back from SDQ yesterday and there was indeed military presence, particularly at the checkpoints. I guess it makes one feel safer but at the same time you have to shake your head at what this world has become.

Feb 7, 2007
I'd spend 2 extra hours for a modicum of peace of mind.

I would not.

Decent people are hassled and fokers roam free.
Decent people get hassled at airports while criminals and terrorist just buy their way in, through infiltrated or bought personnel. There will always be somebody who is willing to sell his soul for money.
Decent people are hassled at border checks while invaders roam free through the green line, unchecked, uncontrolled, with no limits.

So no, I am NOT for a theatrical presentation at airports whose only purpose is to made us believe that there is security.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Everybody should just put the Israelis in charge of airport security everywhere. They do it professionally and politely and very, very, very thoroughly.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
So what exactly is this increased security measures?

They are saying 'we are on high alert, there are increased security measures', in reality that probably covers it.

I always wondered about those working in airports who have never actually flown internationally, their perception of what the rest of the world is about is difficult to imagine. I wonder if considering Dominican life and standards as a benchmark hinders their professionalism. I reckon it does.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Increased security is a few more armed uniformed military lounging around trying to stay awake. Only people trying to get things on Dominican flights are dope smugglers and they pay off the security. Your average terrorist could not even find the DR on a map. Not much to worry about.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Your average terrorist could not even find the DR on a map. Not much to worry about.

Agreed. Your average anyone couldn't find DR on a Map. They have a rather deluded idea of Dominican significance, but bless.

Mind you, if they were to start freaking everyone out, everywhere then hitting sleepy nations makes perfect sense. And if they knew how easy it could be to get stuff on planes at airports such as PUJ then, well, lets not tempt fate. But they are pretty safe in places no one really knows exist.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Increased security is a few more armed uniformed military lounging around trying to stay awake. Only people trying to get things on Dominican flights are dope smugglers and they pay off the security. Your average terrorist could not even find the DR on a map. Not much to worry about.

Exactly what I saw yesterday. Young military personnel trying to learn how to read the monitor, how to check passports, how to pat you down............... Nothing more and I seriously don't believe for one second they are opening each piece of luggage to inspect it.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Exactly what I saw yesterday. Young military personnel trying to learn how to read the monitor, how to check passports, how to pat you down............... Nothing more and I seriously don't believe for one second they are opening each piece of luggage to inspect it.

I personally don't want the opening all the luggage, it will guarantee a lot of things go missing if they start putting their hands inside the luggage!! They will soon spot which bags have great stuff and someone inside will relieve you of it! Horrible idea in this country

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Just boarded a flight at PUJ. No lines, no waiting. And no one went through my bag (I only have a carry on). I didn't notice anything different from when I flew out last month.

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Lawd Jeezus! I suppose now this means eight people checking my boarding pass every 10 feet when I leave SDQ instead of the normal five.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
As someone who does a reasonable amount of flying internationally and regionally, I cannot understand the mentality of persons that object to thorough security screening.

If it is lax at an airport you need to say a 'Hail Mary' at take off...especially now.

Sep 4, 2012
I always wondered about those working in airports who have never actually flown internationally, their perception of what the rest of the world is about is difficult to imagine. I wonder if considering Dominican life and standards as a benchmark hinders their professionalism. I reckon it does.

Irrational conclusion.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
This is part of it, see post #1:

As a result, baggage checks for overseas-bound passengers have become more rigorous, with each bag being checked thoroughly by hand.

It gives them a good opportunity to inspect the things they are going to steal.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The bombing of the Russian plane at an Egyptian resort was done by not by a passenger but by someone who was an employee or posing as an employee . it definitely supports the views here that passengers are less of a risk to security of a plane than those who are working with luggage or the plane itself .So I think the passengers are quite entitled to know what security checks there is for those people ..probably only a quick glance at a card hung around the neck .

kamili

Nov 17, 2015
This is part of it, see post #1:

As a result, baggage checks for overseas-bound passengers have become more rigorous, with each bag being checked thoroughly by hand.

Darn it, I have been growing couple of turkeys organically to bring home for Thanksgiving. Now what; will they go through security?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The bombing of the Russian plane at an Egyptian resort was done by not by a passenger but by someone who was an employee or posing as an employee . it definitely supports the views here that passengers are less of a risk to security of a plane than those who are working with luggage or the plane itself .So I think the passengers are quite entitled to know what security checks there is for those people ..probably only a quick glance at a card hung around the neck .

It goes far beyond that believe me as someone who has worked 'airside' at a few airports. You can screen the airport employees and have vigorous control at their entry points 'airside'. But then you have the delivery vehicles for all those things that go onto and into aircraft for each and every flight.....and delivery drivers change.

But for me the greatest risk to airside security is the airport perimeters. Next time you fly from SDQ,STI,POP and so on, look along the boundaries and wonder how good is that chain link fence and how good is the security path alongside which you hope is being patrolled regularly by airport personnel to check for any breaches or need to clear sightlines from overgrown bush
I recall my time in Mombasa on the airport extension and rehabilitation project......there was no fence at the beginning of that project in many places.

Food for thought. We all rely on good professional airport management in this and every country we visit. If this alarms you.....stay home.