Where is this country headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I have foreign neighbours who have lived here part- and full-time for over 20 years. They tell me that when they arrived and invested in the DR, they felt very hopeful about the future of the country, but in 20 years they have seen no progress, and in fact, many things have gotten much worse.
Their personal security seems to be the biggest issue, as they are getting older.
My personal security is the single biggest reason I can't envision living here?
So where is the country going?
I lived in Venezuela pre-Chavez, and can honestly say it was a wonderful experience. I returned several years ago and found the country had changed greatly and the crime rate had skyrocketed.
I've lived in Colombia as well, and it is even more stable and prosperous now than it was then; there seems to be a steady increase in the quality of life there.
Politics aside, where is this country going?
For the long-term residents and those who are nearing retirement, or are retired? do you worry about your safety here? Do you plan to pull out at some point?
I am very curious about the direction the DR will be going in the next few years.
I can't quite articulate it, but I have a gut feeling this place is going downhill and will no longer be a welcoming place for foreigners and expats, outside the AIs. I think crime, extortion and violence will increase against foreigners, as people feel more desperate and their morals continue to decline.
Do other members share this feeling?
I'm someone that really follows my intuition; I came here with full intentions of making the DR my home, but knew I would give it a year, and if it wasn't feeling right, I'd go. I would say from probably the third month, I just had this unsettled feeling that it wasn't a good place for me to be.
Would welcome others' opinions.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Move to Punta Cana, Bavaro area and you will encounter less crime than you would in the countries you mentioned.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Move to Punta Cana, Bavaro area and you will encounter less crime than you would in the countries you mentioned.

I was going to recommend the same thing - others have suggested that you leave La Romana and try a different part of DR, but you seem to have dismissed that idea.

If you're that unhappy, you have to leave.

I've got 40 years experience in DR, yes it has changed. Show me someplace that hasn't.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My personal security is the single biggest reason I can't envision living here…

OMG. You have posted on a few threads indicating the same thing.

MOVE THEN..................................

Last edited:

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Of course you should follow your intuition.

Many people have a far better experience in the DR than you. Including in La Romana. You seem to have had some expectation for La Romana that was not based on the reality of it. I think you once said there was a lying foreigner involved : )

Better luck in Colombia.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This is a World-wide phenomenon and I don't think anybody is going to find "paradise". It's just a matter of whether or not you want to freeze your *ss-off and be miserable and unsafe or warm and unsafe...it's a life-choice.

The weather doesn't define happiness. I am not miserable thank you, I get to go to warm places whenever I feel like it, get to see seasons (autumn is beautiful,even though i am summer type of person, but having actual seasons is nice) and absolutely feel safe.

My happiness is based on having these choices, I don't envy an expat who spends 365 days on the beach (like so many), I like the fact that my kids have the choice to go to the beach, ski or even museums.

There are no paradise, that I agree.

Eleutheria, you are really blessed to have the possibility to move like that. Do it, you only live once. You can also learn another language and expand your options.

Last edited by a moderator:

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
As for answering the original question, where is the country headed? Who knows! If I knew the answer to those kinds of questions, I wouldn't have to make a daily wage.

I do not foresee the DR ever having the same living standards (on average) as the developed world. Now, if you are an ex-pat, able to spend dollars or Euros, I think you can buy some of the things that are lacking for most Dominicans. However, even relatively rich ex-pats must interact with the greater Dominican society now and again, including all of its quirks, problems, dangers, etc. That's the price you pay for living in paradise.

I do think life is a little less jagged outside of the major cities.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The weather doesn't define happiness. I am not miserable thank you, I get to go to warm places whenever I feel like it, get to see seasons (autumn is beautiful,even though i am summer type of person, but having actual seasons is nice) and absolutely feel safe.

My happiness is based on having these choices, I don't envy an expat who spends 365 days on the beach (like so many), I like the fact that my kids have the choice to go to the beach, ski or even museums.

There are no paradise, that I agree.

Eleutheria, you are really blessed to have the possibility to move like that. Do it, you only leave once. You can also learn another language and expand your options.

Exactly.

Also, we only have 3 months of "freeze your ass off weather". No biggie.

Why do snowbirds leave during the winter (homeland) BUT return in the regular months instead of living in DR full-time?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Oh, I am leaving next week. I was just curious as to where members feel the country is headed.

It will be behind you next week, I am curious why do you care ? Are you afraid you are not making the right choice ?

I find your experience interesting by the way. It s courageous to admit you have made the wrong choice and pack up and leave if that's how you feel.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
OMG. You have posted on a few threads indicating the same thing.

MOVE THEN..................................

That is actually not true. I've never opened a thread on safety/crime. I've commented on thread or 2 on this topic.

It seems really odd that this bothers you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
It will be behind you next week, I am curious why do you care ? Are you afraid you are not making the right choice ?

I find your experience interesting by the way.

No, I feel very, very sure that this is not a good place for me.
I think I am just curious if my perceptions are widespread among the members.
I know some of the folks who get all bent out of shape are trapped here, in one form or another…
I just haven't met a ton of expats here who seem all that happy, or are living "the good life", whatever that is.
Most of the expats I have met do not post on this forum, and I just seem to hear story after story of crime, extortion, etc. Or they live in a total bubble.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Why do snowbirds leave during the winter (homeland) BUT return in the regular months instead of living in DR full-time?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

In our case, it's mostly because our kids and grandkids are in NJ and we miss them.

We also need the break-time in the US to regain our sanity :)

Status
Not open for further replies.